Nosey colleague

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,397
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Ok, I just want to have a bit of a moan today - apologies!

My colleague is always bringing in food (which is very kind), but if I politley refuse, always asks me why I'm not eating. I always bring in my own rather substantial lunch, but even then, said colleague always makes remarks about why I don't want to eat biscuits, cakes, etc that they bring in.

One day I forgot my lunch, and immediately, said colleague said "no lunch today? Whay haven't you brought in anything to eat today?"

Am I over-reacting? I just find it really irritating! This colleague also considers themself somewhat of an authority on medical matters.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,095
    Forum Member
    Just say "because I don't want an arse like yours"... that'll stop it soon enough.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No that would bother me too. Every blooming week our office has a 'fat food day' where we are all expected to bring cakes, crisps etc in and gorge ourselves. Every now and then fair enough, but EVERY week?! If I don't participate I get looks that could kill ha ha
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Make something really foul tasting and bring it in.

Encourage her to eat more and more of it all day, to the point of being really aggravating.

Then tell her she has a rash on her skin which looks like psoraisis, and she should get her eyes checked as it looks like she has a lazy one.

She'll get the jist.
  • PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just say "because I don't want an arse like yours"... that'll stop it soon enough.

Better add some swearing in there too, being rude to people is the best way to never have them bother you again.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

HA!! That'd certainly shut them up...
    No that would bother me too. Every blooming week our office has a 'fat food day' where we are all expected to bring cakes, crisps etc in and gorge ourselves. Every now and then fair enough, but EVERY week?! If I don't participate I get looks that could kill ha ha
    Make something really foul tasting and bring it in.

Encourage her to eat more and more of it all day, to the point of being really aggravating.

Then tell her she has a rash on her skin which looks like psoraisis, and she should get her eyes checked as it looks like she has a lazy one.

She'll get the jist.

He's a man:D. Funny thing is, he has what I would consider a stereotypically female attitude towards food - like and...breathe said, it's the idea of brining in 'treats' every week. (Not an attitude which I share, btw, even though I am a girl!) If I want to eat something, I'll just eat it. I don't overindulge, and I don't starve. The colleague is plump, and always moaning about being fat, but does naff-all about it!

The medical 'knowledge' does irritate. He thinks he's some knid of authority.
    Better add some swearing in there too, being rude to people is the best way to never have them bother you again.

I wish.....................:D I've been a little more abrupt in my manner (which goes against my normal character), but some people are so thick-skinned it's the only way to get through to them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even if I do bring in lunch, the colleague still sometimes says "no lunch?" in that really annoying tone.

If he doesn't physically see me eating he assumes I haven't brought any food in. I don't see it's any of his business!

Sorry - I just had to get it off my chest.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you, what some would consider, to be either too skinny or too fat?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gilbertoo wrote: »
    Are you, what some would consider, to be either too skinny or too fat?

No, neither! That's why I find it weird he keeps pressing it. I'm just normal sized. I suppose if I was to lean to either one, I'd say I'm more on the skinny side, but I eat plenty! You wouldn't look at me and think I was in any way malnourished, put it that way. I'm slim with curves, not in any way skinny - nor would I want to be. I loooooove food too much to not eat.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrsBambi wrote: »
    No, neither! That's why I find it weird he keeps pressing it. I'm just normal sized. I suppose if I was to lean to either one, I'd say I'm more on the skinny side, but I eat plenty! You wouldn't look at me and think I was in any way malnourished, put it that way. I'm slim with curves, not in any way skinny - nor would I want to be. I loooooove food too much to not eat.

Yet you refuse this mans many offers? :p

I was only asking because some people think someone has an eating problem if they're either too fat or too thin (in their eyes).

Maybe he looooooves food too.....??
  • cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some people are brought up in households where making sure everyone has enough to eat is hugely important - especially guests etc.

Maybe he's just concerned that you're hungry and doesn't want you to be.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe he's doing it on purpose as he knows it annoys you.

When I'm bored, I go round everyone who's eating, stand over them peering into their tuppaware, inhale deeply and ask them 'if it's nice' or 'what does it taste like'?
  • JaymaJayma Posts: 6,418
    Forum Member
    HA!! That'd certainly shut them up...

He's a man:D. Funny thing is, he has what I would consider a stereotypically female attitude towards food - like and...breathe said, it's the idea of brining in 'treats' every week. (Not an attitude which I share, btw, even though I am a girl!) If I want to eat something, I'll just eat it. I don't overindulge, and I don't starve. The colleague is plump, and always moaning about being fat, but does naff-all about it!

The medical 'knowledge' does irritate. He thinks he's some knid of authority.

I wish.....................:D I've been a little more abrupt in my manner (which goes against my normal character), but some people are so thick-skinned it's the only way to get through to them.

It seems that his solution to his weight problem is to try and make you the same size, then it will no longer be a problem for him!

There are similar attitudes at my work - I've even had an overweight colleague admit that she will put sugar into tea/coffee of the slim colleagues instead of the sweetener that they've requested! Calories by stealth! Make of that what you will!

On the other hand, Cosmo's more rational response could be your colleague's reasoning - also if he finds comfort in food, he may assume that everyone else draws the same comfort from a shared experience.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yet you refuse this mans many offers? :p

I was only asking because some people think someone has an eating problem if they're either too fat or too thin (in their eyes).

Maybe he looooooves food too.....??

Loving food does not mean gorging on snacks all the time. I have a healthy attitude to food - I don't think my colleague necessarily does. Just because I don't want to eat his food all the time doesn't mean I don't like the food. I prepare my lunch according to what I want to eat that day.
  • adopteradopter Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have one who every day asks me what I've got for lunch. So every day I say 'really boring today - cottage cheese and lettuce'. This woman obviously isn't remotely interested in what I am actually having for lunch so god knows why she asks.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    I think he fancies you :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loving food does not mean gorging on snacks all the time. I have a healthy attitude to food - I don't think my colleague necessarily does. Just because I don't want to eat his food all the time doesn't mean I don't like the food. I prepare my lunch according to what I want to eat that day.

....then tell him in a diplomatic way that you're the sort of person that enjoys a very structured diet that ensures you get all the nutrients, etc. that you want/need and that snacking on other items will alter your routine (and potentially waste pre-prepared food).

PS) or he fancies you! :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cosmo wrote: »
    Some people are brought up in households where making sure everyone has enough to eat is hugely important - especially guests etc.

Maybe he's just concerned that you're hungry and doesn't want you to be.

I think you're right. I don't want to sound ungrateful, as I believe this is the reason behind it. It's just VERY annoying!
    Jayma wrote: »
    It seems that his solution to his weight problem is to try and make you the same size, then it will no longer be a problem for him!

There are similar attitudes at my work - I've even had an overweight colleague admit that she will put sugar into tea/coffee of the slim colleagues instead of the sweetener that they've requested! Calories by stealth! Make of that what you will!

I know some people do this - is the name 'feeders' or something? A bit pathetic, really, although I can see why they do it.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Your colleague sounds a control freak to me. Why is she so obsessed with food? This worries me.
  • cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you're right. I don't want to sound ungrateful, as I believe this is the reason behind it. It's just VERY annoying!

I know some people do this - is the name 'feeders' or something? A bit pathetic, really, although I can see why they do it.

Drop into the conversation that you rarely feel hungry or that you eat a big breakfast. That should keep him at bay.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ....then tell him in a diplomatic way that you're the sort of person that enjoys a very structured diet that ensures you get all the nutrients, etc. that you want/need and that snacking on other items will alter your routine (and potentially waste pre-prepared food).

That's a good idea, actually.
    PS) or he fancies you! :p

I hope that's not the case!!:eek: I'm pretty certain he doesn't though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your colleague sounds a control freak to me. Why is she so obsessed with food? This worries me.

He's a he.:)

I think cosmo hit the nail on the head. Food is quite important in his family.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    adopter wrote: »
    I have one who every day asks me what I've got for lunch. So every day I say 'really boring today - cottage cheese and lettuce'. This woman obviously isn't remotely interested in what I am actually having for lunch so god knows why she asks.

I don't think he's interested either.

He's such a hypochondriac too.. always with the medical stories and advice! He's well-meaning but incredibly annoying.
  • leopard_printleopard_print Posts: 1,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The person is probably trying to be friendly. Aren't told that to make friends we have to appear interested in others? I don't think it is nosey, if you want nosey you should work with my collegue!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The person is probably trying to be friendly. Aren't told that to make friends we have to appear interested in others? I don't think it is nosey, if you want nosey you should work with my collegue!

I'm not disputing that he is trying to be friendly. It's not just food - he questions everything that I tell him, nearly. For example "why did you leave that job, you should've stayed there", "why do you go that way to work", "why do you write it that way instead of this way", etc etc.

It's just wearing a bit thin having to explain myself, and to talk about things that are really none of his business.