Flat hair

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
Forum Member
Hi, need a bit of advice I've got really fine hair and I can never get any volume in to it. No matter how much I style it or use products I.e volume mouse or blow-drying my hair upside down it still stays flat! Does anyone know how I can get some volume into my hair please :(

Comments

• LushnessLushness Posts: 38,165
    Forum Member
    Do you use rollers? Either hot rollers or wet set rollers? I have fine hair and this is a sure fire way to get volume in it. I don't need to use any volume specific products, but I do rollerset my hair a lot to get my hair the way I want it.
  • ShreddedPartsShreddedParts Posts: 225
    Forum Member
    I have the same problem but you wouldn't think it because I have mastered it. ;)

Try to wash your hair as little as possible, perhaps using a dry hairspray when you feel your hair getting a bit greasy thus making it limp. Or if you have a mass amount of built up product.

Backcombing - whilst it can damage your hair always gives instant body that lasts, backcomb it at the roots, perhaps add some hair spray. You will have to use something like a Tangle Teezer to gently remove any knots afterwards.

Use Umberto Giannini "Back Comb In A Bottle", Spray it generously to your roots. Whilst your hair is upside down, this product is great and I'm so glad I found it.

If all else fails, get a perm. Don't think of perms as the 80's waffle iron effect, Aveda and such offer perms that lift and boost the roots, or even having a wave perm will add more body.

Then there is crimping your roots, but it is very time consuming.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 97
    Forum Member
    I have fine flat hair too. I find I get the best results by using a small amount of Tigi Big and Bigger foam (only a small amount though, if you use too much it goes sticky... Just rub it between my fingers and rub into the roots of my hair, all underneath, side bits and top of head, then section hair and with a round brush just blow dry the hair from bottom and really get the brush under the roots of the hair and pull upwards and out to get a really big lift.

http://www.buyhair.co.uk/tigi-catwalk-fashionista-big-bigger-200ml-p-6382.html

I would like to try the Philip Kingsley Maximiser once my bottle of Tigi has run out as it sounds like it does similar things.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    I suffer the same problem, my hair is naturally fine and poker straight which makes me look like an egg-head. I've been managing to tease it into a big bouffant for several years now (not chav-esque, I do victory curls so it's more retro-inspired) and my top three tips for big hair are as follows;

1) Invest in a good hairbrush.
    I've been using Mason and Pearson hairbrushes for years and I couldn't ever use anything else. I hate loosing my hairbrush because I end up borrowing a friend's cheap plastic hairbrush and my hair just won't get into shape with anything other than the beloved mason and pearson! Expensive things for what they are but worth it and they last a long time!

2) As previous posters said - Backcombing.
    It always works. Especially easy with my hairbursh as well - I just do my roots and pop some hairspray on. Bingo! I always find my hair easier to backcomb when a bit dirty - I know it's a bit skanky but I often use Batise Big & Bouncy (titters) but it works amazingly well.

3) Hair extensions.
    I really couldn't be without mine. I know all this backcombing and hair extensions advice sounds tack but it really doesn't have to be! You just have to play around with it and see what suits you. I get a strip of clip-ins that go around my head. I buy two and stitch them together and put the clips back on. They're not much longer than my normal hair but they add so much extra body and are suprisingly not too bad to wear once you get used to them, I wear mine most days and they last me around six months and cost £30 a time so not too bad (considering I don't go to the hairdressers, ever!).

Anyway - I could waffle on about this forever! Hope the advice may help in giving you big hair!

P.S. - Over the years I've tried all sorts of different products from volumising sprays to mousse (too much product makes makes greasy roots so I avoid mousse at all costs!) and most recently invested in a Babyliss 'Big Hair' roller-brush thingy which was crap and did bugger all, my hair just laid there all floppy! So yeah - all of these things did nothing for my hair, I guess it's all about experimenting and finding out what works for your barnet!
  • moomeemoomee Posts: 397
    Forum Member
    Funny seeing your user name SAMMY, as I want to recommend Fat Hair shampoo & conditioner by SAMY, sold at Superdrug.
    I then follow with big velcro rollers (as advised by a hairdresser) & they give natural body & movement. If you want a more styled effect, then mousses/sprays etc will help.
    I used to waste a lot of time with styling products & gadgets, but since I adoped the rollers approach, the condition of my hair has improved & it genuinely feels slightly thicker.
    Good luck!
    Forum Member
    moomee wrote: »
    Funny seeing your user name SAMMY, as I want to recommend Fat Hair shampoo & conditioner by SAMY, sold at Superdrug.
    I then follow with big velcro rollers (as advised by a hairdresser) & they give natural body & movement. If you want a more styled effect, then mousses/sprays etc will help.
    I used to waste a lot of time with styling products & gadgets, but since I adoped the rollers approach, the condition of my hair has improved & it genuinely feels slightly thicker.
    Good luck!

Oh yes girl, tell it! Rollersetting for the win, it's more laborious, but the effort is worth it. My hair looks and feels silky every day, my ends are smooth and smooth ends = zero split ends for me. My hair is thicker and in much better condition overall, and setting my hair has a lot to do with it! ;)

Got to say though, I still love products and gadgets - that will never change! :D
  • BreadstixBreadstix Posts: 10,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree 'Backcomb in a bottle' is a fab, easy styling product for a quick fix.

Otherwise, I'd invest in a pair of curling tongs with a thick barrel. They create volume rather than curls and OMG do they work, even last into the next day!
    Forum Member
    Breadstix wrote: »
    I agree 'Backcomb in a bottle' is a fab, easy styling product for a quick fix.

Otherwise, I'd invest in a pair of curling tongs with a thick barrel. They create volume rather than curls and OMG do they work, even last into the next day!

The problem with fine haired ladies is heat isn't as forgiving on our hair as those with thicker hair. I suppose using the tongs is fine now and again, but for everyday I wouldn't recommend it. Daily hot curling ruined my hair. :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Best tip ever is to back comb just slightly, spray then immediately wrap that section around your tin of hairspray to 'freeze' it just for a few seconds! Can post a video tute if needed :) x
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    This is all you need to know - Schwartzkopf Got 2 B Powderful.

Shake a little bit of powder onto your fingertips, pat hands together til it disappears, rub into your roots. It's AMAZING. It's like backcombing without the backcombing.

Try it!

Love Mrs. Flathair
  • nw0307nw0307 Posts: 10,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BabyLiss Root Boost. I bought one half expecting it to be a marketing sell but it really does make your hair thicker. I can do mine in 5 minutes and you just have to make sure you don't crimp at the front or top of your hair so as not to see it. I just do about 5 sections and it makes your hair so full