Why do dentists like to torture you?

Comments

• AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mrs Teapot wrote: »
    Why are they not told Addison? I think most people are not aware of the alternatives more than the fearful factors
    I have no idea. They should be if the dentist is doing their job properly.
  • SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,240
    Forum Member
    My dentist, nicknamed 'The Butcher' is just terrible. He threw a crown down my throat and then got angry - "spit that out NOW" he shouted. After gagging it up he fitted it - but it was for soemone else so he ground the tooth above to fit it. It was a horrible thing - flat and squat like an elephants tooth.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Soundbox wrote: »
    My dentist, nicknamed 'The Butcher' is just terrible. He threw a crown down my throat and then got angry - "spit that out NOW" he shouted. After gagging it up he fitted it - but it was for soemone else so he ground the tooth above to fit it. It was a horrible thing - flat and squat like an elephants tooth.
    Perhaps you should find a new dentist...?
  • vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had a root canal done without anaesthetic. That's one for you nervous patients to chew over....;) :D
  • irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vosne wrote: »
    I had a root canal done without anaesthetic. That's one for you nervous patients to chew over....;) :D

WHY?!?!?

Are you into sado-masochism?

Or maybe you're actually Chuck Norris....?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    irishguy wrote: »
    Chuck Norris' teeth would break the drill ;)
  • Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member

:eek: Seriously? F*ck me, I'd rather cut one of my legs off!
  • epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Oh. My. God.

Why? :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow... root canal was pricey enough on the NHS... I'd probably need to remortgage the house for it to be done privately... so much for that idea :(

Really? I had a wisdom tooth out at the hospital, no charge.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WHY?!?!?

Are you into sado-masochism?

None of the above.

I had an abscess. They put 4 lots of anaesthetic in and it never touched it. So I went back the next day and the head dentist lady was in too. They all came looked at it and basically told me that the abscess was such that the painkillers wouldn't do anything - so what did I want to do.

So I said **** it, lets go. And they did....:D

Quite an experience. I should also say, btw, that at that point the abscess had broken out the gum. So they lanced it. With a scalpel. Blood all over the shop.

Quite an afternoon that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    epicurian wrote: »
    Really? I had a wisdom tooth out at the hospital, no charge.

Yeah, for wisdom teeth extraction they sometimes refer you to the hospital rather than have your standard dentist perform it.. not for root canals at mine though
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jane Doh! wrote: »
    :eek: Seriously? F*ck me, I'd rather cut one of my legs off!

hhaaaaaaa.....*genuine laugh out loud* :D
  • christina83christina83 Posts: 11,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd breathe heavily so it mists up the little mirror, they take it out then :D
    I quite like my dentist :o
  • Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did a weeks work experiance in a dental practice and enjoyed it. Dentist was so good to his patients.

Its a job I'm considering studying for, although my family and everybody seem to think I'm strange for wanting to be a dentist. :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    None of the above.

I had an abscess. They put 4 lots of anaesthetic in and it never touched it. So I went back the next day and the head dentist lady was in too. They all came looked at it and basically told me that the abscess was such that the painkillers wouldn't do anything - so what did I want to do.

Quite an experience. I should also say, btw, that at that point the abscess had broken out the gum. So they lanced it. With a scalpel. Blood all over the shop.

Quite an afternoon that.

Yikes... a guy I work with had a similar experience.. he said the smell of the abscess when they broke the tooth was almost enough to make him hurl... I don't think the anesthetic worked for him either..... apparently it was agony!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thomas007 wrote: »
    I did a weeks work experiance in a dental practice and enjoyed it. Dentist was so good to his patients.

Its a job I'm considering studying for, although my family and everybody seem to think I'm strange for wanting to be a dentist. :eek:

Think of the money ;)
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    at least TELL ME what you putting in my mouth next time .....

when i had to get a partial root canal, being the terrified-of-going-to-the-dentist type i am, all i heard was clunking about ..... when i tried to close my mouth i felt something not quite right!!!

it was a ruddy great clamp!!!!!

man did we larf afterwards ..... well, the dentists did :D

getting just a check up wednesday, that's bad enough for me, hope they don't do a de-scale ..... IT'S BLOODY ANNOYING :D

no, seriously, don't .....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, for wisdom teeth extraction they sometimes refer you to the hospital rather than have your standard dentist perform it.. not for root canals at mine though

Ah, I see. No root canals for me so far, touch wood.

Have you heard that thing where redheads supposedly on average need 20% more anesthesia? I have no idea if it's true, but it sure isn't helping with my dentaphobia! :D
  • Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Think of the money ;)

Haha yeah but its not the reason why I want to do it, I find it quite interesting actually.

Plus in dentistry you almost always end up curing or fixing a problem! In other aspects of medicine thats not always the case. My fathers an old age psychiatrist, regularly diagnosing people with dementia, which of course there is no cure for.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    epicurian wrote: »
    Ah, I see. No root canals for me so far, touch wood.

Have you heard that thing where redheads supposedly on average need 20% more anesthesia? I have no idea if it's true, but it sure isn't helping with my dentaphobia! :D

Heeh - sounds like something that a redhead came up with to get more anesthetic... That's part of the problem with dentists... they're often on a tight schedule and sometimes dont wait long enough to allow the anesthetic to kick in... Its a pain in the ass that the actual treatment takes less than 30 minutes then you've got a half dead mouth for the next 4 hours which is prone to drooling and making you hard to understand
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thomas007 wrote: »
    Haha yeah but its not the reason why I want to do it, I find it quite interesting actually.

Plus in dentistry you almost always end up curing or fixing a problem! In other aspects of medicine thats not always the case. My fathers an old age psychiatrist, regularly diagnosing people with dementia, which of course there is no cure for.

That's true :) I'd find dentistry interesting except I dislike blood :D
    Wow, your dad is a psychiatrist?! Very cool. I'm about to start an Open University Psychology degree :)
  • TheMunchTheMunch Posts: 9,024
    Forum Member
    None of the above.

Quite an afternoon that.

I hope the person who went in after you wasn't someone naturally scared of the dentist...they finally summon enough courage to walk into the room and then they see blood everywhere. They'd never go near a dentist ever again. :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yikes... a guy I work with had a similar experience.. he said the smell of the abscess when they broke the tooth was almost enough to make him hurl... I don't think the anesthetic worked for him either..... apparently it was agony!

The abscess itself was agony. That's why I let them do it. I was in so much pain the prospect of having drills shoved in my tooth and a knife stuck in my gum seemed eminently acceptable. I really was thoroughly miserable and in incredible agony so any chance of ameliorating that was good enough. The only pain that's ever been similar has been tearing cruciates and braking knee cartilage.

I just took myself mentally to a different place and went with it. And aye, when they lanced it it was like walking into an mortuary when the refrigeration's got broke. *bleugh*
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The abscess itself was agony. That's why I let them do it. I was in so much pain the prospect of having drills shoved in my tooth and a knife stuck in my gum seemed eminently acceptable. I really was thoroughly miserable and in incredible agony so any chance of ameliorating that was good enough. The only pain that's in ever been similar has been tearing cruciates and braking knee cartilage.

I just took myself mentally to a different place and went with it. And aye, when they lanced it it was like walking into an mortuary when the refrigeration's got broke. *bleugh*

Yeah - he'd been downing neurofens like candy to little effect it was that painful... It also means you can't go to the hospital and get a general anesthetic as you'll be waiting months for that and even Chuck wouldnt be able to handle the pain for that length
  • Stiffy78Stiffy78 Posts: 26,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only have one bad dentist experience. Apparently my teeth were 'crowded' and so were moving to odd angles on one side so my dentist decided it was best to remove one of them. It was healthy and didn't want to come out no matter how hard he tried so he got another dentist who pulled my head to one side while he yanked at the tooth with both hands on the pliers. The local anesthetic didn't seem to do much that day.