Scratched glasses

jazzyjazzyjazzyjazzy Posts: 4,865
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Today I noticed that my vari-focal glasses have a mark on each lense, in the same place, right in my view of reading and using the computer.
Realised it has come off the metal pieces on the string I recently put on them as I was sick of putting them down and couldn't find them so thought the string would be a good idea.

So - is it possible to take them to an opticians and have them sorted out or is it the end of them.
Trouble is I am not in UK at the moment so can't take them back to where I got them from.
Thanks.

Comments

• Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jazzyjazzy wrote: »
    Today I noticed that my vari-focal glasses have a mark on each lense, in the same place, right in my view of reading and using the computer.
    Realised it has come off the metal pieces on the string I recently put on them as I was sick of putting them down and couldn't find them so thought the string would be a good idea.

So - is it possible to take them to an opticians and have them sorted out or is it the end of them.
    Trouble is I am not in UK at the moment so can't take them back to where I got them from.
    Thanks.

Depending on how severe the scratch is, there are precision/modelers plastic polishes on the market that may do the trick!
  • jazzyjazzyjazzyjazzy Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is 2 very small patches where the metal has rubbed them - they are just annoying when I am reading - they cost a small fortune that is why I wondered if there was hope for them.
    Bought some cheap reading glasses today but not good when using laptop.
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sometimes jewellers can polish out scratches. But opticians come across this all the time - not all opticians try to sell you new specs! - Just keep away from "the big boys" and go a locally owned out fit.
  • morganb1611morganb1611 Posts: 458
    Forum Member
    Brasso will remove light scratches, I used it on a pair where the lenses were heavily marked all over and they came out almost like new. I didn't go at the deepest scratches too hard for fear of altering the prescription.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies - will send my OH out on a mission.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,615
    Forum Member
    Toothpaste can be used as a mild abrasive to gently polish out marks. Tiz what I used on my watch face.
  • SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course, if the lenses have a coating of some sort – say an anti-reflective or anti-scratch one – that would probably be damaged by using some sort of abrasive polish, so that might not be a great idea. I'm not an optician, though, so I have no special knowledge of the subject.
    Forum Member
    If the lens has been marked then any coating has already been breached.
  • SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    If the lens has been marked then any coating has already been breached.
    Breached certainly, but not destroyed over the entire lens. Maybe using an abrasive polish is a great idea, but I'd be inclined to seek professional advice before possibly damaging expensive lenses, and presumably the OP's varifocals weren't cheap.
  • SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grumpyscot wrote: »
    Sometimes jewellers can polish out scratches. But opticians come across this all the time - not all opticians try to sell you new specs! - Just keep away from "the big boys" and go a locally owned out fit.

Having worked in an opticians for years I can tell you that they would not polish out the scratches. They would just tell you to get your frames reglazed with new lenses or buy new glasses !
    Forum Member
    Sigurd wrote: »
    Breached certainly, but not destroyed over the entire lens
    You would only be polishing the already damaged area.
  • morganb1611morganb1611 Posts: 458
    Forum Member
    Sigurd wrote: »
    Of course, if the lenses have a coating of some sort – say an anti-reflective or anti-scratch one – that would probably be damaged by using some sort of abrasive polish, so that might not be a great idea. I'm not an optician, though, so I have no special knowledge of the subject.

My glasses had this coating, I ended up polishing it off completely. I've never been convinced by scratch resistant coatings tbh.
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having worked in an opticians for years I can tell you that they would not polish out the scratches. They would just tell you to get your frames reglazed with new lenses or buy new glasses !

My experience was that the "big boys" would just try to sell you new lenses etc. I went to a local optician who got the scratches out for me - at no charge! And not for the first time either!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Been to 3 opticians today (I am in Thailand) and they all said no to polishing and want to put new lenses in my frames - at a cost of nearly £200!!!!
    Tried the toothpaste and CD cleaner - no joy
    Sod £200 using my frames and no guarantee they will be ok - will put up with the blurred bits until we get back (in 2 months) and use my prescription sun glasses on the laptop and use the cheapy reading glasses for the Kindle. The top part of the glasses are fine for watching TV if you want to watch BBC news channel all night :-)
    Thanks for all the help.