Options

BBC Red button changes

Comments

• Options
    FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member
    DragonQ wrote: »
    Why would you give the kilometres value to two (three?) more significant figures than your miles value? Oh yeah, to be flippant. :rolleyes:

It's weird that some people still cling to imperial when the population got used to decimalisation pretty damned quickly.

It's what you learn as a youngster that stays with you the rest of your life - simples. You ask most people of my generation and they will tell you the same.

I may have learned to use decimal but I often convert back to pound shillings and pence in my head, and still use pounds and ounces for weights, gallons for volumes etc. and will always do so. Only the other day I thought to myself blimey ten bob to buy a second class stamp, outrageous. Diversity should be celebrated not frowned upon. Why do you want everyone to be homogenised?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    wjong wrote: »
    I'm an old greybeard, :) and learnt Imperial measures when a child in the 1950's. However, I"m one of many elderly people, who have accepted the change, and self learnt metric measures. Although many of my friends, still use Imperial measures, it's a fallacy to state, that we are victims, and marginalised. It insults the intelligence of the elderly, to suggest that we elderly don't understand metric measures, or at least the basic conversions from metric to Imperial. Over the last 40 years, conversions have been printed in the media, and elsewhere, and most of us have taken the opportunity to learn from those conversions. I don't have a problem with the BBC using metric measures, many of my friends don't either. The few that do have a problem, are generally not as bright, and alert, as they used to be, they are mentally frail, that old age brings on, and have problems with many other things, as well as both Imperial and metric measures.

Ah! a child of the fifties that has surrendered to government and become part of the collective eh? I would say that instead of mellowing with age I have got more radical. I refuse to be moulded by grey faceless bureaucrats from Brussels or anywhere else for that matter. There was an article on that new programme from the beeb the other night, special reports by the editors at the BBC. They were all very interesting but the one that really got my attention was the piece from Mark Easton asking what has happened to the rebellious youth of today, lamenting the fact it was not rebellious.

I tell you what, I'll continue to tilt at windmills and you can tell me the wind speed in kilometres. :p
  • Options
    DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Faust wrote: »
    Ah! a child of the fifties that has surrendered to government and become part of the collective eh?
    Oh you're one of those. Yawn.
  • Options
    jj20xjj20x Posts: 2,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So, following this thread anyone could be forgiven for thinking that the BBC Red Button changes are changes to the way we measure distance... ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So back to the topic.

After many years of being written and edited by CSV Action Network, the current editions of Community News, Disability News and Read Hear are the final ones to appear on BBC Text Services.

These final editions may be found this Easter Holiday Weekend going to page 102's final link; the editors have included weblinks for readers to note for future reference.

Page Numbering will therefore read, once Newsround is back:

100 Home
    199 Index

News
    101 News Headlines
    102 News Index
    104 Top News Story
    144 Politics
    153 Technology
    154 Science
    155 Question Time
    160 UK Regions Index
    1010 UK
    1020 World
    1030 Health
    1605 UK Regions: Scotland
    1610 UK Regions: Wales
    1615 UK Regions: Northern Ireland
    1620 UK Regions: London & South East
    1625 UK Regions: North East
    1630 UK Regions: Yorks & Lincs
    1635 UK Regions: North West & Cumbria
    1640 UK Regions: West Midlands
    1645 UK Regions: East Midlands
    1650 UK Regions: East
    1660 UK Regions: South
    1665 UK Regions: West & South West
    1675 Isle of Man & Channel Islands

Business
    200 Business Index
    201 Business News
    204 Top Business Story
    220 Shares
    230 Markets
    240 Rates

Sport
    300 Contents
    301 Headlines
    302 Football
    303 Football: News
    304 Top Sport Story
    316 Football: Scores
    324 Football: Tables
    330 Football: Results and Fixtures
    340 Cricket
    360 F1
    368 Rugby Union
    370 Rugby League
    380 More Sport
    390 Regional Sport Index
    481 Golf
    485 Tennis
    3100 Football: Premiership Club News
    3130 Football: Championship Club News
    3250 Football: Scotland Premier Club News
    3905 Regional Sport: Scotland
    3910 Regional Sport: Wales
    3915 Regional Sport: Northern Ireland
    3920 Regional Sport: London & South East
    3925 Regional Sport: North East & Cumbria
    3930 Regional Sport: Yorkshire & Humbershide
    3935 Regional Sport: North West
    3940 Regional Sport: West Midlands
    3945 Regional Sport: East Midlands & Lincolshire
    3950 Regional Sport: East
    3960 Regional Sport: South
    3965 Regional Sport: West
    3970 Regional Sport: South Westt

Weather
    400 Weather Index
    4010 Forecast Summary
    404 Forecast Summary: UK Summary
    405 Weather Warnings
    401 Forecast Maps
    410 World Cities: Europe
    415 World Cities: Australasia
    411 World Cities: Africa
    412 World Cities: N America
    413 World Cities: S America
    414 World Cities: Asia
    4011 Forecast Maps: Scotland
    4021 Forecast Maps: Scotland: 24 Hour
    4061 Forecast Maps: Scotland: 5 Day
    4012 Forecast Maps: NI & Wales
    4022 Forecast Maps: NI & Wales: 24 Hour
    4062 Forecast Maps: NI & Wales: 5 Day
    4013 Forecast Maps: North
    4023 Forecast Maps: North: 24 Hour
    4063 Forecast Maps: North: 5 Day
    4014 Forecast Maps: Midlands
    4024 Forecast Maps: Midlands: 24 Hour
    4064 Forecast Maps: Midlands: 5 Day
    4015 Forecast Maps: East
    4025 Forecast Maps: East: 24 Hour
    4065 Forecast Maps: East: 5 Day
    4016 Forecast Maps: South East
    4026 Forecast Maps: South East: 24 Hour
    4066 Forecast Maps: South East: 5 Day
    4017 Forecast Maps: South/SW
    4027 Forecast Maps: South/SW: 24 Hour
    4067 Forecast Maps: South/SW: 5 Day
    4100 World Cities

Travel
    430 Travel Index
    431 UK Motorways
    432 Rail
    435 Ferries
    436 London Transport
    437 Roads by Region
    440 Flight Arrivals
    446 Flights - Gatwick North
    447 Flights - Gatwick South
    448 Flights - Luton
    449 Flights - Birmingham
    451 Flights - Newcastle
    452 Flights - Bristol
    453 Flights - Manchester
    455 Flights - Edinburgh
    456 Flights - Highlands & Islands
    457 Flights - Belfast City
    458 Flights - London City
    462 Flights - Jersey
    463 Flights - Liverpool
    464 Flights - East Midlands
    467 Flights - Bournemouth
    468 Flights - Leeds Bradford
    469 Flights - Durham Tees Valley
    471 Flights - Humberside
    472 Flights - Doncaster Sheffield
    473 Flights - Cardiff
    474 Flights - Exeter
    475 Flights - Norwich
    476 Flights - Newquay
    477 Flights - Belfast International
    479 Flights - Isle of Man

Entertainment
    501 Entertainment News
    504 Top Entertainment Story
    555 Lottery

Children
    5900 Cbeebies
    570 CBBC eXtra
    571 Newsround

Help
    9990 Help
    998 Help: Text Changes
    888 Help: Subtitles
    159 Emergency Information for BBC Staff
  • Options
    Forum Member
    DragonQ wrote: »
    Oh you're one of those. Yawn.

Absolutely and proud to be so. I assume you're one that's easily moulded, yawn.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/commons-rejects-plan-to-adopt-metric-878130
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good clip http://www.bbc.co.uk/skillswise/topic/imperial-and-metric kind of sums up the varying experiences expressed in the offtopic discussion and the whole online section offers helpful resources; play http://www.bbc.co.uk/skillswise/quiz/ma21impe-e1and2-quiz

So

Now please could we in the name of mercy stick the thread topic from now on?
  • Options
    chrisychrisy Posts: 9,419
    Forum Member
    Faust wrote: »
    They were all very interesting but the one that really got my attention was the piece from Mark Easton asking what has happened to the rebellious youth of today, lamenting the fact it was not rebellious.

They're too busy playing with their iThingies to rebel.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sue_Aitch wrote: »
    Good clip http://www.bbc.co.uk/skillswise/topic/imperial-and-metric kind of sums up the varying experiences expressed in the offtopic discussion and the whole online section offers helpful resources; play http://www.bbc.co.uk/skillswise/quiz/ma21impe-e1and2-quiz

So

Now please could we in the name of mercy stick the thread topic from now on?

Topic being the red button service as it stands is no longer fit for purpose one assumes? Since the beeb have dropped the video feeds for satellite consumers I rarely bother with it anymore. It was after all it's best and most used feature. :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Faust, dear Faust, this is a thread in the Freeview subforum.

Freeview-only households had to say hallo to a reduced service three and a half years ago or so.

I use text most days, the other services as and when: archive http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/bbcinternet/red_button/ latest (2013 blogs) http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/internet/tags/Red_button
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Faust, dear Faust, this is a thread in the Freeview subforum.

Freeview-only households had to say hallo to a reduced service three and a half years ago or so.

I use text most days, the other services as and when: archive http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/bbcinternet/red_button/ latest (2013 blogs) http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/internet/tags/Red_button

The fact still remains the service is now a shadow of it's former self and from what I see on my Freeview HD platform I'm now getting the same poor service on my Freesat platform.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As far as text goes, the content has removed in the past forty-seven months has been:

News: nothing from BBC News except the In Depth page 125 (see note under Entertainment below). CSV Action Network pages leave the service this week.

Business: Farm Prices, Loans and Homes, Savings and Premium Bonds.

Sport: some sports such as Ice Hockey and Basketball no longer have their league table or results pages.

Weather: no change

Travel: BAA airports no longer giving the BBC their Flight Arrival Times.

Entertainment: Extra has gone and the Top 40 Singles and Album Charts have moved to the Radio 1 service, which makes sense as BBC TV has no current chart show. However, the obituary for Richard Griffiths on Entertainment Extra 501 is the same length itwould have been in In Depth when that service was still going.

Radio gets a much better service from RBDT than it did in the days of BBC One Ceefax pages 640-659 with all the Red Button Pages on the Freeview Service. And the EPG gets viewers details for all prgrammes.

CBBC and CBeebies: no change but for Newsround not being carried at present.

And Red Button Digital Text always has a comprehensive results service for elections.

So really, it's not that much content that has completely disappeared.

What's on Holy Saturday onwards on not-text - published first thing this morning.

Do by all means comment there!

We're awaiting the results of the most recent BBC Online and Red Button consultation being published on http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbctrust/have_your_say/review.

With the Licence Freeze, there's only so much money to go round.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    As far as text goes, the content has removed in the past forty-seven months has been:

News: nothing from BBC News except the In Depth page 125 (see note under Entertainment below). CSV Action Network pages leave the service this week.

Business: Farm Prices, Loans and Homes, Savings and Premium Bonds.

Sport: some sports such as Ice Hockey and Basketball no longer have their league table or results pages.

Weather: no change

Travel: BAA airports no longer giving the BBC their Flight Arrival Times.

Entertainment: Extra has gone and the Top 40 Singles and Album Charts have moved to the Radio 1 service, which makes sense as BBC TV has no current chart show. However, the obituary for Richard Griffiths on Entertainment Extra 501 is the same length itwould have been in In Depth when that service was still going.

Radio gets a much better service from RBDT than it did in the days of BBC One Ceefax pages 640-659 with all the Red Button Pages on the Freeview Service. And the EPG gets viewers details for all prgrammes.

CBBC and CBeebies: no change but for Newsround not being carried at present.

And Red Button Digital Text always has a comprehensive results service for elections.

So really, it's not that much content that has completely disappeared.

What's on Holy Saturday onwards on not-text - published first thing this morning.

Do by all means comment there!

We're awaiting the results of the most recent BBC Online and Red Button consultation being published on http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbctrust/have_your_say/review.

With the Licence Freeze, there's only so much money to go round.

Except On Demand video feeds for those of us on multi-platforms, their most useful feature by far. :mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, it wasn't as though any of us was not warned on the Help Pages and on BBC Online about multiscreen going, and D-Sat and D-Cab users had a lot more choices of OBS coverages of the Olympics than DTT viewers for London 2012 when it came to the Olympics.

Read Hear and Community Pages were off air from Easter Thursday 2013, one year to the day since London DSO Stage One. So long and Thank You, CSV Action Network.

Sport Pages Blue Button: Sport on TV choice has gone, but that content is now under Headlines 301.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's till a bit of work needing to be done by the Red Button technical team in MediaCityUK to remove Community News choice from the Connected Red Button Version of page 100.and uncouple page 660 from (Horse) Racing,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Newspaper Review is back under Page 102
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Newsround (Test) is currently under 9072.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There never seems to be anything on the red button, even when there should be. All coverage of snooker and darts would do for a start.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, Snooker and Darts comes under 380 More Sport with Basketball, Boxing, Cycling, ParaSport (BBC still insists on Disability Sport), Rowing, Swimming, Winter Sport and so on and so on.

Do make your views known to the team concerning the lack of coverage as you perceive it http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/front_page/3701180.stm. The BBC Sport Editors' Blog has gone very quiet of late.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm. Next Button on 570 does not reach all content yet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ... but then the BBC are the only Text Service Providers for Children
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still to be fixed

* 660 going completely;
    * Sport Links on Blue Button and Green Button on Sport pages being revised for duplications (Football, always the Football!) and re-labelling;
    * Community News going completely from connected Red Button as this still shows on page 100 on a Connected TVOnics DTR-HV250, for example;
    *Help Pages 9990 Retuning Your Digitall TV and Contact Us being made more compact with fewer repetitions of information already given on earlier Help Page Topics;
    *199 including Health News and Newspaper Review on the News drop down box;
    * Renumber 9072 Newsround Test as 571.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Community News has gone.

Contact Us on Help Page has been shortened by one subpage to take out the reference to the Digital UK Homepage
  • Options
    SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Soon won't be worth having a red button service the rate the sections are disappearing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't see the list at #106 being parred down further, though. We must wait for the BBC Trust updating of http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbctrust/our_work/services/television/service_reviews/red_button.html