Options

New channel set to join Freesat.

Comments

• Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We'll see if it actually make it onto Freesat..
  • Options
    lambylamby Posts: 3,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a rubbish addition. Will get a hundred viewers a week and most of them would of just channel flicked on it, then off it.
  • Options
    Night WatchmanNight Watchman Posts: 1,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With eNCA (South Africa's 24 hour Africa news channel) and Arise News (Nigeria) both failing to make it to Freesat I doubt if Channels 24 will.
    eNCA only managed to hang on to their Sky slot for 2 years before closing down. Arise News, broadcasting from London and New York as well as Lagos, has slots on both Sky and Freeview. The demographics don't look good - there are less than 200,000 Nigerian-born residents in England and Wales (2011 census) - about the same number of residents of Stockton-on-Tees - so the target audience isn't huge. Nigerians only represent 2.4% of all foreign-born UK residents (2013 Migrant Observatory Oxford University). We'll just have to wait and see. I suppose it depends on how much money the backers are willing to throw at it.
  • Options
    Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The majority of Freesat users wont care anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think we are more likely to see Deutsche Welle (DW) on Freesat. They launch their new English language service on Astra 1 19.2º on June 22 so there is a good chance they will duplicate it on 28.2º.

http://www.dw.de/deutsche-welles-new-english-tv-channel-to-start-june-22/a-18237402
  • Options
    davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think we are more likely to see Deutsche Welle (DW) on Freesat. They launch their new English language service on Astra 1 19.2º on June 22 so there is a good chance they will duplicate it on 28.2º.

http://www.dw.de/deutsche-welles-new-english-tv-channel-to-start-june-22/a-18237402

Unlikely they left 28E some years ago.
  • Options
    coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A good reason to go Freesat ?
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member

I would very much welcome that channel. I hope it comes to 28.2*E for both Freesat and Sky. I have seen quite a few of their programmes online and on My Channel (which shows quite a bit of DW programming). It would certainly be a good addition to the Freesat news section.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    lamby wrote: »
    What a rubbish addition. Will get a hundred viewers a week and most of them would of just channel flicked on it, then off it.

Well, on 26 May, the new free to air Talking Pictures channel can be added in non-Freesat mode (current testing parameters: 11,662 H 27,500 2/3 courtesy of Digi Man) and it will show classic British films:

LOVERS of vintage British film and television have a lot to look forward to when Talking Pictures TV launches. The 24-hour channel on Sky will see long-lost British classics, including some of Michael Caine’s earliest film work, screened at last. Sarah Cronin-Stanley is the powerhouse behind the channel, along with her father Noel Cronin, who has a tremendous background in British film.
    http://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/tv-radio/577690/Talking-Pictures-TV-Sarah-Cronin-Stanley-interview
    http://talkingpicturestv.co.uk

I hope it succeeds as a channel and, once established, I hope that they can consider joining Freesat at some stage.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unlikely they left 28E some years ago.
    This is a new English language only channel (similar to English variant of France 24 on 28.2º) not the old multilingual DW (Europe) that is still on Hotbird. As you will see from the link they are determined to become a major international 24 hours news service when they launch five 24-hour TV channels around the world on June 22..
  • Options
    M60M60 Posts: 5,597
    Forum Member
    This is a new English language only channel (similar to English variant of France 24 on 28.2º) not the old multilingual DW (Europe) that is still on Hotbird. As you will see from the link they are determined to become a major international 24 hours news service when they launch five 24-hour TV channels around the world on June 22..

I would imagine if they want a decent audience for an English language service in Europe then targeting the UK and Ireland from 28E is almost a must! There's a fair few new labels on various TP's knocking around at the moment, maybe one of these is for DW? There's two HD labels on 11.224V too, once the two Viacom encrypted SD services leave this TP I'd expect something new to appear - FTA too as the Encryption flags on these aren't set active.

In response to the comments about Arise News etc, they were almost at the point of joining FS and then went off-air when people weren't paid etc. Since 2013 the channel has moved on somewhat and now looks more slick than it did at original launch. They are also on DTT COM7 now too, wonder if there was some sort of a fallout with Freesat over the original launch or payment non-forthcoming? Seems odd they are missing off the platform.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    M60 wrote: »
    Since 2013 the channel has moved on somewhat and now looks more slick than it did at original launch.
    I agree, it is much more slick now probably thanks to the US content and they also have several ex Sky and ITV presenters/staff as well as numerous bureaus in key locations. I think eNCA failed mainly as a result of trying to sell advertising space themselves rather than using a TV broker. Perhaps that is the modus operandi in South Africa but it doesn't work here. And maybe not having a UK base they didn't fully understand the market. Whilst Arise have had to sacrifice their HD channel along the way they have managed to keep going.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I agree, it is much more slick now probably thanks to the US content and they also have several ex Sky and ITV presenters/staff as well as numerous bureaus in key locations. I think eNCA failed mainly as a result of trying to sell advertising space themselves rather than using a TV broker. Perhaps that is the modus operandi in South Africa but it doesn't work here. And maybe not having a UK base they didn't fully understand the market. Whilst Arise have had to sacrifice their HD channel along the way they have managed to keep going.

That's very true of eNCA. I was in SA a couple of years ago and watched a bit of eNCA on the DSTV platform, the production and output was much more slick, sound and picture quality as you'd expect too SD-wise.

I'd expect Arise to join FS at some point, not checked out their website for a while but last time I saw it thought it was a bit cluttered and could do with tidying up!
  • Options
    Forum Member

I would have thought that a TV channel like that would have been ideal for the 28.2*E spot broadcasting to Western Europe in English from a widebeam transponder. I would very much welcome that channel on Freesat and Sky.
    M60 wrote: »
    That's very true of eNCA. I was in SA a couple of years ago and watched a bit of eNCA on the DSTV platform, the production and output was much more slick, sound and picture quality as you'd expect too SD-wise.

I'd expect Arise to join FS at some point, not checked out their website for a while but last time I saw it thought it was a bit cluttered and could do with tidying up!

It's a good news channel with high editorial and journalistic standards and, despite its much lower budgets, it's way ahead of the crude propaganda channel that is Russia Today.
  • Options
    PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds bloody awful, won't be tuning in
  • Options
    RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds bloody awful, won't be tuning in

Arabic Hafla is currently testing off the EPG, perhaps that will be more your taste!
  • Options
    Joe_WhiteJoe_White Posts: 1,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, on 26 May, the new free to air Talking Pictures channel can be added in non-Freesat mode (current testing parameters: 11,662 H 27,500 2/3 courtesy of Digi Man) and it will show classic British films:

LOVERS of vintage British film and television have a lot to look forward to when Talking Pictures TV launches. The 24-hour channel on Sky will see long-lost British classics, including some of Michael Caine’s earliest film work, screened at last. Sarah Cronin-Stanley is the powerhouse behind the channel, along with her father Noel Cronin, who has a tremendous background in British film.
    http://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/tv-radio/577690/Talking-Pictures-TV-Sarah-Cronin-Stanley-interview
    http://talkingpicturestv.co.uk

I hope it succeeds as a channel and, once established, I hope that they can consider joining Freesat at some stage.

Thanks for the info on Talking pictures & the add channels, info - watching a very interesting Southern TV production of the late 1970s at the Moment, called: Noah's Castle.
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    re Talking Pictures - the intention is to get it on Freesat by end of the year. They admit that Freeview is beyond their scope (finances)

http://talkingpicturestv.co.uk/schedule/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Joe_White wrote: »
    Thanks for the info on Talking pictures & the add channels, info - watching a very interesting Southern TV production of the late 1970s at the Moment, called: Noah's Castle.

On the initial clips I saw, that Honey West thing didn't look at all bad - kinda like a female The Saint. It's on at 9pm.
    mike65 wrote: »
    re Talking Pictures - the intention is to get it on Freesat by end of the year. They admit that Freeview is beyond their scope (finances)

http://talkingpicturestv.co.uk/schedule/

Now that's welcome and encouraging news. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now that's welcome and encouraging news. :)
    Not such good news about Deutsche Welle's new English language service starting June 22. I emailed them and they replied that they have no plans to launch the service on a 3rd satellite due to the cost. On the surface it would seem that they haven't done their homework and are ignoring the largest English speaking area in Europe but on the other hand with an estimated 38% of EU citizens having sufficient language skills to conduct a conversation in English that equates to almost 200 million potential viewers, nearly three times as many as the almost 70 million residents of the UK and Ireland. And those in the UK can still watch if they are that interested with a multi-lnb setup or via the web. Pity though and maybe as the economics change they may rethink their decision. Or are they assuming an EU exit after 2017?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Here's another new potential addition to the platform later this year (and a different music channel to the rest too):
    http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2015/05/27/exclusive-dancetrippin-tv-plans-international-expansion/

(credit to obrienmichael05 in the weekly Satellite/Sky thread for spotting this)