Infamous killers and their background...

The Gary SheenThe Gary Sheen Posts: 227
Forum Member
Anyone crime you remember getting high media coverage over it?

Comments

• Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    Lots.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    Jane Doh! wrote: »
    Lots.

same.
  • MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lots, probably Sutcliffe and the Suffolk strangler.
  • BeenbagBeenbag Posts: 567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Earliest high profile crime I can remember is The Great Train Robbery .
    I was ten at the time and it felt like it was never of the news.
    My small claim to fame is having the same surname as Ronnie Biggs and I can honestly say that from the time he escaped there has not been a year when I haven't had my leg pulled about it.
    In fact , I sometimes use the nickname 'Ronnie' when people have trouble pronouncing my Christian name and as a user name for computer games.
    Before I sign off, no , this is not being posted from Rio:D
  • coldcomfortcoldcomfort Posts: 778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My mate at work knew Sutcliffe personally.
  • muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ted Bundy's always fascinated me.
  • coldcomfortcoldcomfort Posts: 778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    muggins14 wrote: »

Debbie Harry claimed to have been lured into Bundy's car before she became famous.
  • gold2040gold2040 Posts: 3,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You may find this interesting

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/2825gf/im_the_psychologist_who_evaluated_ted_bundy_and/
  • Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    I'm not sure I fully understand the question.
  • widgerwidger Posts: 722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

According to Wikipedia, Bundy grew up thinking that his mother was his sister and then found out the truth by visiting the records at the local town hall. He also had an alcoholic and abusive Grandfather.

I still can't see that these events would lead to some of the most horrific murders in history. I believe that Bundy was a true psychopath and any upbringing whether good or bad would not have stopped him from his killing spree.
  • i am godi am god Posts: 733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jack the most infamous of all never caught never identified
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    If you're interested in that kind of thing I purchased this book on Amazon. It's very brief, but if there's anyone that catches your interest you can read more about them elsewhere.

There's loads of psychos I'd never heard of before!
  • Paulie WalnutsPaulie Walnuts Posts: 3,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ollie_h19 wrote: »
    I'm not sure I fully understand the question.

Neither do I.
  • Sifter22Sifter22 Posts: 12,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Bundy still has a disturbingly large cult following
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sifter22 wrote: »
    Bundy still has a disturbingly large cult following

I'm more interested in what made him such an evil man. The stranger beside me by Ann rule is a fascinating read.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    widger wrote: »
    According to Wikipedia, Bundy grew up thinking that his mother was his sister and then found out the truth by visiting the records at the local town hall. He also had an alcoholic and abusive Grandfather.

I still can't see that these events would lead to some of the most horrific murders in history. I believe that Bundy was a true psychopath and any upbringing whether good or bad would not have stopped him from his killing spree.

I agree. His mother was actually a very decent lady according to Ann rule. She believe ted Bundy was born with no conscience. I believe it too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm more interested in what made him such an evil man. The stranger beside me by Ann rule is a fascinating read.

The Only Living Witness is much better IMHO. They got much more inside his head and were able to piece it together better. The authors interviewed him for hours on end.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sifter22 wrote: »
    The Only Living Witness is much better IMHO. They got much more inside his head and were able to piece it together better. The authors interviewed him for hours on end.

Ann rule was friends with him :o.
    I'm going to check that book out that you've mentioned though.I saw a documentary on him and it's unnerving how charming he was. Those poor women and that little girl in florida. :(
  • jackoljackol Posts: 7,887
    Forum Member
    Debbie Harry claimed to have been lured into Bundy's car before she became famous.

Never happened
    http://www.snopes.com/music/artists/debharry.asp
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ann rule was friends with him :o.
    I'm going to check that book out that you've mentioned though.I saw a documentary on him and it's unnerving how charming he was. Those poor women and that little girl in florida. :(

She knew him for that brief period at the crisis centre but didn't have a lot to do with him after that. These guys basically got him to confess in third person so he wouldn't convict himself.
  • Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    From recent years Huntley probably had the most media attention. Possibly Shipman as well.

I've no idea on either's background though.
  • culturemancultureman Posts: 11,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A friend of mine knew Dennis Nilsen quite well.
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I seriously doubt that the likes of Bundy would have become serial killers if they had been brought up in a normal household. With a loving family and good role models of both genders. Children's minds are like sponges and they absorb everything around them.
  • Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bundy was simply a sexual psychopath - nothing more and nothing less.

The Whitechapel murderer is the most interesting serial killer case in history - simply because he was never caught, he was the first to be covered by the mass media, the nature of the crimes (poor Mary Jane Kelly in particular) and the incredible amount of possible suspects and speculation that the subject attracts (most of it complete and utter bullshit).
  • Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I seriously doubt that the likes of Bundy would have become serial killers if they had been brought up in a normal household. With a loving family and good role models of both genders. Children's minds are like sponges and they absorb everything around them.

Psychopaths are born - their brains differ from any 'normal' person without the capacity for empathy.

They are the wolves in sheep's clothing in all human societies.

If they have an abusive and/or violent childhood they are far more likely to become criminals or murderers - the vast majority content themselves with manipulating controlling and ruining people's lives in perfectly legal ways.

Careers with the highest proportion of psychopaths.

1. CEO
    2. Lawyer
    3. Media (Television/Radio)
    4. Salesperson
    5. Surgeon
    6. Journalist
    7. Police officer
    8. Clergy person
    9. Chef
    10. Civil servant