Options

Horrific Attack On 14 Year Old in Edinburgh

Comments

• Options
    RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I can. The boy is 13, and his mind is still developing. I think it's possible to work extensively with someone so young and change their way of thinking and enable them to empathise with others.

Neither Mary Bell nor the Bulger killers have ever re-offended that we know of; maybe that tells us something.[/QUOTE]

Maybe it does tell us something, but I'm never quite sure exactly what.
    Does society as a whole benefit from spending millions on rehabilitating the very worst of offenders ? Disregarding whether they "deserve" to be released back into society so early for such vile crimes, from society's position it becomes a case of risk/reward. In the cases you mention, we "hope" that three killers will not re-offend and continue to lead productive lives. If we get it right, the "system" can give itself a pat on the back. If we get it wrong, the results would be unthinkable.
  • Options
    EmpiricalEmpirical Posts: 10,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    While nobody will know the specifics of the conversation he had with the police, the very fact that he believed he had done nothing wrong means, to me, that he had no remorse for what he did.

No he believed he had not broken the law. Weather he had believed he had or not done anything wrong and weather the girls believed or not they had done anything wrong can only be speculation.

Personally I doubt any of them believed they had done anything wrong. Again that's speculation.

Yet you have chosen to believe that he had no remorse or feeling but as you describe him as worse clearly believe the two girls had more feeling and /or remorse.

And you mistakenly had a bash at me on the other thread for making what you thought was a sweeping generalisation about guys and feelings and empathy.

Thats pretty funny.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reading what they did, poor poor girl, i just have a feeling in my belly that this is showing signs of psychopathic behaviours or some kind of severe mental problem, not that that is in any way making the crime less horrific. And before anybody asks
    No i am not a qualified psychiatrist
    Yes it is an opinion that may be wrong, just an opinion not a fact
    No i dont believe we should slap them on the wrist and say there there
    No im not a lefty liberal blah blah :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Reading what they did, poor poor girl, i just have a feeling in my belly that this is showing signs of psychopathic behaviours or some kind of severe mental problem, not that that is in any way making the crime less horrific. And before anybody asks
    No i am not a qualified psychiatrist
    Yes it is an opinion that may be wrong, just an opinion not a fact
    No i dont believe we should slap them on the wrist and say there there
    No im not a lefty liberal blah blah :)

Its an attitude that exists these days. That this sort of behaviour is justified and normal.

"Why did you call the police about the tags on the station? Why didnt you sort us out yourself?"

They think the world follows playground rules!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think this behaviour is normal, in my opinion its incredibly frightening, maybe thats why i want to believe they have some kind of severe brain malfunction, because then it can be blamed on that instead of them just enjoying inflicting pain on the girl then lying afterwards about not knowing it was wrong, that thought is very scary, human beings always try to find a blame when sometimes it is just the person to blame, (myself included), either way its disturbing :(.
  • Options
    Andy2009Andy2009 Posts: 1,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :mad:
    Dirty Evil bastards. That's right outside my old Church too [St. Mary's Cathedral where the relics of Saint Andrew are. Pope John Paul II himself prayed there (relevant to Catholics)]
    It's a rough horrible area, their are always homeless people ready to pick your pockets and start fake fights to con people. They even get people with fake 'broken legs' etc to beg and cover for them to sell the big issue. I can't understand why their are not more Police there.
    I was there every Sunday night, and sometimes I'd walk people [women] up to Princess Street just to keep them safe.
    These people... ... ... I won't say what should be done.
  • Options
    EyeLikeBeerEyeLikeBeer Posts: 1,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can we not just save our country from these cretins and kill them?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can we not just save our country from these cretins and kill them?

I can understand why you'd want them dead, but their is no worse torture that living with guilt.
  • Options
    DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you!!! So the question "what is the likelihood that they would do it without the boy there/directing it" is answered!

Though you could argue that the assault might have been less savage and prolonged without the boy to direct and encourage it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cyeic wrote: »
    Erm... that tells us nothing. They may have reoffended - they may not have. We don't know. It tells us nothing.

Fair point; I'm working on the presumption that if they had continued re-offending they'd probably have been caught for something by now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fair point; I'm working on the presumption that if they had continued re-offending they'd probably have been caught for something by now.

Regarding the Bulger killers if they had we would probably not know.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,196
    Forum Member
    I'd have them put down - lethal injection is too good for them though - I'd have a pack of hungry wolves tear them apart slowly!

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe it does tell us something, but I'm never quite sure exactly what.
    Does society as a whole benefit from spending millions on rehabilitating the very worst of offenders ? Disregarding whether they "deserve" to be released back into society so early for such vile crimes, from society's position it becomes a case of risk/reward. In the cases you mention, we "hope" that three killers will not re-offend and continue to lead productive lives. If we get it right, the "system" can give itself a pat on the back. If we get it wrong, the results would be unthinkable.

Society has three choices; 1) Rehabilitation and at some point release; 2) No rehabilitation, but still release at some point; 3) Imprisonment for the rest of their life

2) is almost inevitably going to result in another horrific crime. 3) may attract some, but I honestly feel it's wrong to imprison someone so young without hope of release when rehabilitation is a possibility.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,196
    Forum Member
    Society has three choices; 1) Rehabilitation and at some point release; 2) No rehabilitation, but still release at some point; 3) Imprisonment for the rest of their life

2) is almost inevitably going to result in another horrific crime. 3) may attract some, but I honestly feel it's wrong to imprison someone so young without hope of release when rehabilitation is a possibility.

....or option 4) Hungry wolves.....
  • Options
    HarryValleyHarryValley Posts: 16,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Though you could argue that the assault might have been less savage and prolonged without the boy to direct and encourage it.
    Assault is assault, there were two of them on to one, they wanted to do damage
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Empirical wrote: »
    Regarding the Bulger killers if they had we would probably not know.

Don't the press know who and where they are, but they can't print it? They've certainly done stories that indicate they do. If so, you can bet they've watched avidly for any hint that they're pursuing a criminal lifestyle.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You should E-Mail the Omni Centre info@omniedinburgh.co.uk and ask why the hell security did not know what was going on in the car park... ... ... or did they? I know of security men that turn a blind eye. :mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't the press know who and where they are, but they can't print it? They've certainly done stories that indicate they do. If so, you can bet they've watched avidly for any hint that they're pursuing a criminal lifestyle.

And with that anything the press print is dubious at best.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    viewaskew wrote: »
    ....or option 4) Hungry wolves.....

Only if we want to be a barbarian society. We shouldn't reduce ourselves to their level.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Assault is assault, there were two of them on to one, they wanted to do damage

I'm not disagreeing; to me they're all three equally culpable.
  • Options
    HarryValleyHarryValley Posts: 16,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not disagreeing; to me they're all three equally culpable.
    Exactly!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Empirical wrote: »
    And with that anything the press print is dubious at best.

Maybe. I still think we'd know if the Bulger killers had re-offended.
  • Options
    The SnakesThe Snakes Posts: 8,940
    Forum Member
    As long as we have a benefits system that encourages ****less breeding we will continue to have people like this comitting vile crimes such as this. These people should not exist, there is no purpose in the world for them. At the end of the day, Liberals that refuse to accept that restrictions on breeding are necessary, are ensuring that crimes like this will continue to happen. Of course, it generally won't be their children that are the victims (since they live in nice areas, far away from their social experiments), and a continued supply of scum like this is necessary to keep their friends in the legal system in work.

The three pieces of scum in this story should be placed in solitary confinement for the rest of their lives.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe. I still think we'd know if the Bulger killers had re-offended.

I bet we would not.

The car park of the attack;
    There are 1000 car parking spaces at Omni offering easy access to city centre shopping as well as the host of leisure and entertainment facilities available nearby.

Passenger lifts, disabled bays, CCTV and prices that beat on street parking by miles makes Omni NCP a sensible choice for car drivers, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

http://www.omniedinburgh.co.uk/inside-ncp.html
    "NCP offers safe and conveniant parking where you need it in the centre of Edinburgh" Bull!
  • Options
    odz1odz1 Posts: 1,940
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nearly as bad as this case in Northern Ireland!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/6564133.stm