Living on your own and Christmas trees

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,505
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Do you single people that live alone bother putting a Christmas tree up (large or small)?

This is my first year living alone for quite some time and I don't really feel a need to put a lil tree up...but other people tell me I'm being a miserable trout.

Comments

• BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a fibre optic tree that I throw up every year.

Just a token gesture really
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I live on my own and I haven't bothered with christmas decorations for about 20 years.

But you'll always get comedians who think they're funny by saying "aww bah humbug!" - doesn't bother me.
  • MrsceeMrscee Posts: 5,271
    Forum Member
    when I lived on my own I did put a christmas tree up...my oldest son now lives on his own and also has put his tree up every year
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We wouldn't bother but for the fact that our grandchildren may come round to visit.
    However, the tree will just come out of it's box and I will decorate it and maybe buy some chocolates to hang on it.
    It will be in a corner where it's out of the way though.
  • Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    Aw, OP, ignore them. You do what you want to do - it's your house and your Christmas. Don't get pushed into things you don't want. x
  • ppaupyppaupy Posts: 2,729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I was single I always had a tree etc up at Xmas I love it so would always make the effort.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,733
    Forum Member
    No. The only person who comments adversely is a fellow, older single guy (local weirdo / child-catcher! LOL). I sense he has something of a motive for appearing "people-friendly"... ;)
  • SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I lived on my own I used to make a xmas tree from beer cans.
  • tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope, don't get many visitors and I don't need decorations in my living room to remind me it's the Christmas period, the TV, radio and other people will constantly remind me it's Christmas.

You might be lucky to see me change the wallpaper on my computer desktop, but that'll be pretty much it.
  • Madridista23Madridista23 Posts: 9,422
    Forum Member
    Of Course. Why shouldn't I put up a tree? Just because someone lives by themselves, it dosn't make them some kind of recluse cut off from the rest of the world. :cool:
  • Bom Diddly WoBom Diddly Wo Posts: 14,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I was sharing a house with some other guys we went as far as getting a bit of branch off the park and covering it in tin foil. Surprisingly it looked really cheap and crappy.
  • Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    When I was sharing a house with some other guys we went as far as getting a bit of branch off the park and covering it in tin foil. Surprisingly it looked really cheap and crappy.

:D In a completely tacky way, I kind of like that idea!
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    last year i had a tv aerial (the kind that goes on the outside of a house, long story) decorated with tinsel and lights.

i don`t normally bother.
  • fonzerellifonzerelli Posts: 979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    me and the fella moved into our flat this year and we're not bothering with a tree. Don't want to clutter up the living room and no space to store in the other 11 months of the year!!!

Might put some lights round the window but that's it!
  • BBTweetsBBTweets Posts: 12,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can buy a life size Christmas tree poster, that should stop people moaning at you. :D
  • RubusRooRubusRoo Posts: 10,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a fibre optic tree that I throw up every year.

Just a token gesture really

Try storing it in a cupboard instead. Much easier on the digestive system.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,134
    Forum Member
    Hello:)

When I lived on my own I always bought a tree and the whole glittery paraphernalia that came with it.

My surefire way of keeping loneliness at bay was naming the baubles I put on the tree.

It was a very sad Christmas when I stepped on Harry

Meals for one can be given a seasonal touch by buying those paper plates that have hollies imprinted upon them.

You can still derive joy from pulling crackers by sitting on one hand for a while-

the numbness forcing the illusion of a stranger in the house- a 'other' to make the pulling event competitive

I used to phone the speaking clock and admire the vocal variations in her delivery.

She always seemed particular upbeat around the 12:42 mark.

I don't know why.
  • JOEVILLEJOEVILLE Posts: 970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's Christmas everyday when you live on your own.
  • c4hc4h Posts: 1,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

When I lived on my own I always bought a tree and the whole glittery paraphernalia that came with it.

My surefire way of keeping loneliness at bay was naming the baubles I put on the tree.

It was a very sad Christmas when I stepped on Harry

Meals for one can be given a seasonal touch by buying those paper plates that have hollies imprinted upon them.

You can still derive joy from pulling crackers by sitting on one hand for a while-

the numbness forcing the illusion of a stranger in the house- a 'other' to make the pulling event competitive

I used to phone the speaking clock and admire the vocal variations in her delivery.

She always seemed particular upbeat around the 12:42 mark.

I don't know why.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I live on my own and mine is going up next weekend I love it !
  • 5th Horseman5th Horseman Posts: 10,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I'm going away for Christmas (usually to my dad's) then I don't bother, if I'm going to be at home then I'll put the tree up, only put the tree up last year as it looked like I wouldn't get away (threatened BA strikes and the weather) but managed to get away, not going to bother this year as I won't be at home.
  • Free as a birdFree as a bird Posts: 1,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Reminds me of a Mr Bean sketch, when he took some twigs off a tree, and pretended they were twiglets :D:D:D:D
  • JOEVILLEJOEVILLE Posts: 970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Reminds me of a Mr Bean sketch, when he took some twigs off a tree, and pretended they were twiglets :D:D:D:D

He did cover them in Marmite so they were pretty much the real thing.:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 190
    Forum Member
    the trouble with christmas is that Countdown usually goes on holiday.

I thought about making some decorations out of bin liners one year...but didn't do anything...
  • The Exiled DubThe Exiled Dub Posts: 8,358
    Forum Member
    I live alone and have a fibre optic tree that I occasionally put up (it was bought for me), although I haven't put it up now for 2 years. Not going to bother this year at all