Options

Best airline/aircraft you flown with

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had a great flight a month ago with Malaysia Airlines. London to Kuala Lumpur. I made a lttle video. :D
    http://youtu.be/pNojQck11Gk
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    Best:
    BA, British Midland, Virgin Atlantic, Continental and KLM.

Worst:
    Southwest, Northwest, Manx (now defunct), Sabena, Air Lingus and Ryanair.
  • Options
    Seth1Seth1 Posts: 676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quantas
  • Options
    james_W85james_W85 Posts: 4,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Singapore are very good I find but my personal favourite is virgin, they have the best staff in my experience
  • Options
    aspijackaspijack Posts: 1,202
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best

BA (Heathrow to JFK and Emirates (Newcastle to Dubai) both first class

Worst

Flybe and Easy jet
  • Options
    venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Worst by a mile - Virgin. I've never had a good experience with them, compared to BA they are very amateurish. I'll never fly with Virgin again. What others have said about the pretensions of other passengers on Virgin flights is absolutely true.

Best for me have been BA, Qantas, Malaysia and Emirates. We're flying on an Emirates A380 next year. Can't wait!
  • Options
    ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    Swiss Air back in the 90s.

Asked for some water and the steward didn't know the world sparkling so he asked me whether I wanted it "bubbly or not bubbly".

They also gave me and my schoolmates adult meals which came with a small bottle of wine. Sadly the teacher noticed :(
  • Options
    SemillionSemillion Posts: 612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ClarkF1 wrote: »
    Swiss Air back in the 90s.

Asked for some water and the steward didn't know the world sparkling so he asked me whether I wanted it "bubbly or not bubbly".

They also gave me and my schoolmates adult meals which came with a small bottle of wine. Sadly the teacher noticed :(

I've been told by many veteran flyers that Swiss Air was the ultimate.

My personal faves are Qantas and Aer Lingus.

Went from Amsterdam to Turkey in 2006 with Onur Air...the budget version of Turkish Airways. I'd read reviews of the airline prior to travelling and was seriously intending changing airlines at the last minute but surprisingly we had a great flight, very nice food and quite comfortable. Lovely crew as well, very accommodating of the children on board :)

Worst ever, without a doubt, was Lauda Air. Crammed in like sardines and food you couldn't swallow let alone digest. Absolutely appalling experience.
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    go Whooshywings, faster than thoughtobole, peepers porthole fider than the melly conceibates, vertigone all over the next row when no paper baggy and the smelldestrocious! time for another gin and chronic settleseltzer, pinchy bum hostesses mostests, all lipsty thankyou and goodbode fair traveller drainhiggy, don't forget the dutypriceys.

These days I don't even bother reading brain_higgy's half-witted opening post. I simply scroll straight down, looking for your contribution. :D

Fine work - please keep it up.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Emirates are the best I've had in Cattle Class, especially in the A380.

BA long haul Business Class (Club World) is great. Flat bed, good entertainment, endless food and drink and very good service. I've never paid for it but it always nice to get a free upgrade.

Agree with you about both. My dad used to work for BA so we usually got Business Class. BA in Economy is horrible though. Emirates Economy was really good.
  • Options
    BlofeldBlofeld Posts: 8,233
    Forum Member
    Semillion wrote: »
    I've been told by many veteran flyers that Swiss Air was the ultimate.

I never flew on them but I heard that too. It was a massive shock (to outsiders anyway) when they went bankrupt and a lot of people are still affected by it. There is a great Swiss (German language) documentary/drama called "Grounding..The last days of Swissair" which tells the story well.

Their replacement airline, Swiss, are not bad, although I've only used them on shorthaul. The business class is very comfortable and the meals are pretty good too. The last time I flew them I got a nice Swiss cheese board, some ham and a Rosti. Even in economy they gave me a pretty good baguette, unlike the bag of crisps BA offer.

Emirates are the best I've flown with Long Haul. I did 4 of their A380s last year to China and back and it was brilliant. The only other airlines I've been on similar distances with are KLM, Air France and BA. KLM put me in an old 777 to Johannesburg which, although comfortable, the entertainment system was a bit crap and eventually broke about 2 hours away from landing. The food was mediocre too. I flew KLM in the 1990s on an MD-11 to America and back and that was pretty nice. I remember getting a full menu in Economy and a pretty substantial kids pack for my younger sister.

I flew BA a few weeks ago to America. A 747 both ways. No issues on the way out, apart from a short delay at Heathrow, but on the way back the flight was 2 hours delayed due to an engine problem and then the entertainment system broke for 2 hours as well. The Food on BA is always nice, but their breakfasts on the long haul, overnight flights are truly awful. The last 2 times I've come back from the USA we got given some health freak nature bar and some god-awful lumpy yoghurt which tasted like sick. I saw most people push it aside. Even on the shorthaul flights they have scrapped the cooked breakfast before 9am and replaced it with a panini.
  • Options
    UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Singapore Airlines had good food for the short hop I tried them on.

Probably Aeroflot was the least pleasant.
  • Options
    SemillionSemillion Posts: 612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Reminds me of when my husband flew with Balkan Air to Bulgaria in '99 for the solar eclipse. Talk about a rickety aircraft. At one stage a thick vapoury fog started to fill the aircraft and he said people thought it was smoke and started panic, he said the guy behind him was almost dirtying himself :D

Had something to do with differences in air pressure and temperatures it turned out.

But this would make it hard to relax....

http://www.theaviationwriter.com/2013/06/1234-smoke-delta-airlines-flight.html
  • Options
    mashamoto79mashamoto79 Posts: 2,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has anyone flown Air Canada Rouge?

I was reading that a lot of people booked their flights to go on Air Canada and they turn up at the airport and find out they have 'rouged' and are flying Air Canada Rouge.

Here is a video explaining what has happened and you can see the awful amount of leg room:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQNTptL6kA4
  • Options
    cessnacessna Posts: 6,747
    Forum Member
    SAS to Stockholm 1956 in a DC6. (prop driven in those days) It was a little disconcerting seeing the ends of the wings flapping up and down a foot or two when taxiing, and flames from the exhausts , but the flight was great with plenty of leg room and good food.
  • Options
    dsimillerdsimiller Posts: 1,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1968,BOAC VC10 to New York.
    Great airline and a great plane.BA today are still good,especially long-haul.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Used to fly a lot with Alitalia, (the OLD Alitalia - Linee Aeree Italiane) and it was always lovely. Massive seats, perfect temperature in the cabin, friendly staff, hosts and hostesses who look like models, delicious food. Definitely my favourite.
  • Options
    dsimillerdsimiller Posts: 1,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cessna wrote: »
    SAS to Stockholm 1956 in a DC6. (prop driven in those days) It was a little disconcerting seeing the ends of the wings flapping up and down a foot or two when taxiing, and flames from the exhausts , but the flight was great with plenty of leg room and good food.

Although I never managed to fly on a DC6,these were great planes for the observer,especially seeing those spurts of flame on start-up and the incredible noise (from the outside)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only flown Easyjet and Norweigian. Had a good experience with both but Norweigian was better; nice leg room and free wifi what else do you need?
  • Options
    KalmiaKalmia Posts: 493
    Forum Member
    I've always had good experiences with JAL and ANA. China Eastern Airlines was an interesting experience that had the in flight entertainment of a blazing row between a flight attendant and a passenger (the passenger kept stealing the full bottles of wine from the trolley, so he probably deserved shouting at...)

I've never flown Virgin but I know many people that have and have had problems with in flight entertainment systems not working, etc.

I know Easyjet have a bad reputation, but the one time I flew with them they were kind enough to hold the plane for a few extra minutes to ensure we caught it, so I can't hate them.
  • Options
    .Lauren..Lauren. Posts: 7,864
    Forum Member
    Semillion wrote: »
    Reminds me of when my husband flew with Balkan Air to Bulgaria in '99 for the solar eclipse. Talk about a rickety aircraft. At one stage a thick vapoury fog started to fill the aircraft and he said people thought it was smoke and started panic, he said the guy behind him was almost dirtying himself :D

Had something to do with differences in air pressure and temperatures it turned out.

But this would make it hard to relax....

http://www.theaviationwriter.com/2013/06/1234-smoke-delta-airlines-flight.html

We flew with them in 1997 on the most delapidated looking Tupolevs you've ever seen. Food was awful, service was awful, but they did let me on the flight deck and wee very friendly which was nice! Flew internally in Bulgaria on some turboprops and I kid you not duct tape was used to hold some stuff together on the outside and the tires were completely bald.

Best airline would have to be Thai Airways (but this was back in 1999) and Virgin. Thing is with Virgin (and many other airlines) is they put the better product on the premium routes such as LHR - JFK and the sub standard on routes like LHR - BOM.

I know times are changing but I grow ever disappointed with short haul charters, charging more for getting less. Just 3 years ago you got a meal and entertainment on flights over 3 hours, now you have to fly over 5.5 hours to get food and you get no entertainment.
  • Options
    Jean-FrancoisJean-Francois Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Back in the 80s I once flew from Nassau, Bahamas to Miami Fl. via Bimini, Bahamas, on Chalks Airways, which advertised itself as 'The World's Oldest Scheduled Airline.'
    It was a seaplane, quite small, maybe 20-25 seats.
    Taking off on water seemed to take forever, as it takes a long time to reach the speed to enable the plane to lift off.
    Then landing on water at Bimini was different to say the least.
    Then we repeated it to take off and head for Miami.
    Not as luxurious as business class on United, but memorable.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Back in the 80s I once flew from Nassau, Bahamas to Miami Fl. via Bimini, Bahamas, on Chalks Airways, which advertised itself as 'The World's Oldest Scheduled Airline.'
    It was a seaplane, quite small, maybe 20-25 seats.
    Taking off on water seemed to take forever, as it takes a long time to reach the speed to enable the plane to lift off.
    Then landing on water at Bimini was different to say the least.
    Then we repeated it to take off and head for Miami.
    Not as luxurious as business class on United, but memorable.

I've done that flight but from Miami to Nassau, it was very bumpy on the water and also noisy inside - great fun though.
  • Options
    WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Air New Zealand were the best.
    Worst have been Air Canada and British Airways. It's difficult to decide which has the rudest staff, but I think Air Canada wins.
  • Options
    Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Virgin in Upper Class was the best for me. I managed to get hold of Upper Class discount tickets and i really felt i shouldn't belong there. The staff really do pamper you and even chat to you throughout the flight. The service is really different from the regular cabins too.