Options

Barman refused to take 10 pound note from Northern Ireland in pub tonight

Comments

• Options
    MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheetah666 wrote: »
    Lol, I'm not expecting random English people to magically know what Scottish and N.Irish notes look like, but you do have an education system over there, last I heard. You have a central government, who should certainly be able to provide businesses with the necessary info to train their staff appropriately.

And the UK wasn't created yesterday, so I would wonder why the English population is still being left in such ignorance about two forms of legal tender in their own country.

Northern Irish and Scottish notes are not Legal Tender. The only notes that are are Bank of England ones.
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    No, because they are different denominations of currency.

I find it incredible you don't see the issue here - and don't get me wrong, it's not a major issue, but if we are that unfamiliar with the currency how could we be expected to pick out forged and counterfeit notes?

It's easiest to just not accept it, not that I've ever had to refuse anyone, which shows you how often we get it (ie. never).

There's no point wasting time and energy teaching things that are irrelevant.

And that's it really, it's not hard to understand and is all perfectly logical.

Quite easy you can find out online what to look out for, in fact that's what you should do anyway, get the information and have it displayed so you know what to look out for, information is available for English notes so it stands to reason that information is also available for Scottish & Northern Irish notes as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    Northern Irish and Scottish notes are not Legal Tender. The only notes that are are Bank of England ones.

Not in Scotland.
  • Options
    KalmiaKalmia Posts: 493
    Forum Member
    When I was still in England and working in a shop, we wouldn't accept Scottish £20 notes. I think I saw 2 in my four years working there. We didn't accept English £50 notes either though. Their rarity meant it was easier for forgeries to slip through. Simply seeing photos or handling a note once or twice isn't really enough to tell the good forgeries from real notes, especially in customer service when it's busy and you can't really hold up the entire queue for five minutes while you Google things to look for.

I can't remember ever seeing a note from Northern Ireland...
  • Options
    NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The thing i hate about english notes is when you're trying to masturbate at the computer and you have cash sitting on the table you have to get rid of it as the queens head puts you right off

...and people still respond to it as if it's not a troll account.
  • Options
    RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,072
    Forum Member
    Well, I hope you'd recognise an Irish note- they're bloomin Euros

The OP stated Northern Ireland.
  • Options
    RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,072
    Forum Member
    Cheetah666 wrote: »
    Its not irrelevant because you're causing unnecessary inconvenience to your neighbours through sheer ignorance of your own country. Why did Phylo_Roadking have to have a stand up row in an English bank, (a bank, FFS, not a branch of Lidls), because the person behind the counter couldn't recognise a Sterling note?

That's ignorance on an embarrassing scale.
    Reread Phylo's post. The stand up row wasn't in the bank. He said nothing about rowing in the bank because they thought it was foreign currency.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    Not in Scotland.

Nope. Even in Scotland.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope. Even in Scotland.

Nope Bank of England notes are not legal tender in Scotland.
  • Options
    Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    Nope. Even in Scotland.

The Committee of Scottish Bankers disagree.

http://www.scotbanks.org.uk/legal_position.php

I'm ignorant on these matters but they seem quite precise in what they are talking about.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/banking/2010/05/true-or-false-scottish-notes-arent-legal-tender

These folks say the same thing. Something to do with the precise definition of 'legal tender'.
  • Options
    Jean-FrancoisJean-Francois Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I was self-employed, working in a predominantly cash business, I would take Scottish and Northern Irish notes all day long, although the N.I. ones were a rarity.
    Only once was I offered an I.O.M. note, which I accepted.
    When I paid them in at a bank they never turned a hair, just accepted them.
    Only twice did I ever run into a stumbling block.
    Once an Asian corner shop proprietor asked if I had an English note instead, I complied with his request, and once an Asian guy in a filling station didn't want to take a Scottish note, so I told him that he could suck £5.00 worth of diesel out of the tank, or take the note, or call the police.
    He took the note.
    The only notes that I would not take were Channel Island ones, they may have been okay, but they didn't have the word Sterling on them.
    The Northern Island bank was taken over a couple of years back by Danske Bank, maybe the words Danske Bank on the note got the barman's alarm antenna up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I was self-employed, working in a predominantly cash business, I would take Scottish and Northern Irish notes all day long, although the N.I. ones were a rarity.
    Once an Asian corner shop proprietor asked if I had an English note instead, I complied with his request, and once an Asian guy in a filling station didn't want to take a Scottish note, so I told him that he could suck £5.00 worth of diesel out of the tank, or take the note, or call the police.
    He took the note.
    The only notes that I would not take were Channel Island ones, they may have been okay, but they didn't have the word Sterling on them.
    The Northern Island bank was taken over a couple of years back by Danske Bank, maybe the words Danske Bank on the note got the barman's alarm antenna up.

No they are acceptable as well, a bank will take them without any problems. But many places of business will not accept them, even worse then Scottish & Northern Irish notes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He took the note.

Can I ask why mentioning two of the people that served you were Asian is relevant?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    No they are acceptable as well, a bank will take them without any problems. But many places of business will not accept them, even worse then Scottish & Northern Irish notes.

Channel Island notes are not legal tender in the UK.
    http://www.royalmint.com/help/help/spending-channel-or-isle-of-man-coins-in-the-uk
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    guttridge wrote: »
    Just in a pub a few years hours ago and this girl ordered a drink and when she went to pay she handed the batman a 10 note but from
    Northern Ireland went the barman refused to take. I think this is wrong . What wood you have done ?

The barman was not under any obligation to accept the note. If that happened to me I'd pay by card.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Red John wrote: »
    The barman was not under any obligation to accept the note. If that happened to me I'd pay by card.

Indeed. You can pay using 20 oranges if both parties agree.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If a business takes them as payment a bank will still accept them.
  • Options
    ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't know what a Northern Ireland bank note looked like.
  • Options
    Tamryn29Tamryn29 Posts: 607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BanglaRoad wrote: »
    Typed my post in understandable English for a start

It's really quite understandable If you're honest isn't it..
  • Options
    Black HughBlack Hugh Posts: 1,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't see why this person was surprised. When, I, or anybody I know, goes to England from NI we know not to bring NI notes.

Back in the day I got money changed in the bank before leaving. Now I just use the ATM when over there.
  • Options
    davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Committee of Scottish Bankers disagree.

http://www.scotbanks.org.uk/legal_position.php

I'm ignorant on these matters but they seem quite precise in what they are talking about.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/banking/2010/05/true-or-false-scottish-notes-arent-legal-tender

These folks say the same thing. Something to do with the precise definition of 'legal tender'.

As explained in that moneysavingexpert piece, the whole concept of "legal tender" is almost always irrelevant anyway - pubs and shops are entitled to accept or reject anything they like.
  • Options
    viertevierte Posts: 4,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Elyan wrote: »
    I wouldn't know what a Northern Ireland bank note looked like.

We have four different ones as far as I know, Ulster Bank, Bank of Ireland, Northern Bank and First Trust Bank but I haven't seen a first trust one in ages.

How many different English notes are there?
  • Options
    ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    vierte wrote: »
    We have four different ones as far as I know, Ulster Bank, Bank of Ireland, Northern Bank and First Trust Bank but I haven't seen a first trust one in ages.

How many different English notes are there?

Just the one set in England as far as I know.

I must admit if someone tried to pass a NI note to me the first thing I would think of is the Northern Bank robbery and the subsequent change in note design. See, I wouldn't know if the note was from before or after the change.

I know cash is used more infrequently nowadays but I don't think I've seen any sort of NI note for at least ten years.
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A few years ago I flew Ryanair [I know] from East Midlands Airport which had arrived from Belfast, when I bought a drink the Hostess asked if I minded having change in N.I. notes, I refused and waited til she had collected enough English notes.
  • Options
    Jean-FrancoisJean-Francois Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can I ask why mentioning two of the people that served you were Asian is relevant?

You're no doubt making the assumption that I don't like Asians, and I'm trying to put them down.
    Wrong, I've nothing whatsoever against them, in fact I'm happy to be in their company anytime, and they're welcome to be here as far as I'm concerned.
    In stating their ethnicity I was intending to convey that, as possible recent arrivals in the U.K., they hadn't seen many Scottish notes, if any, and that may have been the reason that were reticent about taking them.
    Full marks though for assuming that I, an immigrant myself years ago, would be prejudiced about immigrants now.