Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 63)

Comments

• Options
    A.D.PA.D.P Posts: 10,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know. The Voice really does deserve more credit.

I said after the X Factor final that TVUK would overtake XF in the ratings this year, and was laughed at!

PS If anyone hasn't seen it this was Lucy last night, it was a Susan Boyle moment, pure fantastic.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02ghgsz
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zac Quinn wrote: »
    Which is all very nice but none of it is a particularly strong argument against a PSB carrying live coverage of a remarkable show of unity in an increasingly fractured age. If the BBC really do have this silly rule banning pictures of the Prophet Mohammed from being shown then the least they can do is broadcast events like today on the main channel, to get the message about the West standing up to these cretins out to as wide an audience as possible.

Just because people complain about the BBC moving EastEnders for Wimbledon doesn't make it right. The Beeb are becoming far too defined by the Daily Mail culture.

But they did cover it on BBC News channel! All you need is a remote.
  • Options
    Joe40Joe40 Posts: 1,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Darts final on BBC2 won't be finishing anytime soon.
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joe40 wrote: »
    Darts final on BBC2 won't be finishing anytime soon.

Considerable overrun.
  • Options
    Zac QuinnZac Quinn Posts: 5,172
    Forum Member
    A.D.P wrote: »
    But they did cover it on BBC News channel! All you need is a remote.

You're missing my point - ordinarily I'd agree with you after the Nelson Mandela nightmare. But in this instance, the coverage of such a strong message of unity and solidarity should have been broadcast to as wide an audience as possible.

And if we're going down the criticism route, then the Beeb should have done it if for no other reason than to water down the flack they've taken for this 'no pictures of the Prophet' rule coming to light.
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps you could continue TVUK promotion in the TVUK thread.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watching Still Open All Hours there are very few if any laugh moments in it at all. But its easy viewing for Sunday night and is doing well for what it is.

Any other day and I expect it would've be around 4.5m.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Watching Still Open All Hours there are very few if any laugh moments in it at all. But its easy viewing for Sunday night and is doing well for what it is.

Any other day and I expect it would've be around 4.5m.

Yep, exactly the same as how I see BOAF. Imagine how strong BOAF straight into Foyle's War could have been if the former had been scheduled properly and the former hadn't collapsed, could have been ITV's strongest night of the week :(
  • Options
    Ice dragon1Ice dragon1 Posts: 19,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I said after the X Factor final that TVUK would overtake XF in the ratings this year, and was laughed at!

PS If anyone hasn't seen it this was Lucy last night, it was a Susan Boyle moment, pure fantastic.

FairPlay she was fantastic and it gets better the more you listen to it.
  • Options
    Ice dragon1Ice dragon1 Posts: 19,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Um no ones promoting it, peoole are just discussing it. You don't see me complaining at all the SITE talk?? Although some of it is pretty funny.
  • Options
    Cestrian18Cestrian18 Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member

For the auditions of TVUK to overtake it wouldn't take too much more so purely for comparison sake, (and a bit of fun) here's how X Factor 2014 rated overnight for its 8 audition shows both inclusive and exclusive of +1: (You can tell I'm meant to be writing an essay!)

1.) 9.03 (+1 465,000) = 9.48m
    2.) 7.55 (643,00)= 8.18m
    3.) 8.43 (481,000) = 8.91m
    4.) 7.12m (673,000) = 7.85m (CLASHES WITH SCD LAUNCH)
    5.) 8.43 (441,000)= 8.84m
    6.) 7.86 (621,000) = 8.47m
    7.) 8.36m (211,000)= 8.57m
    8.) 8.33m (363,000) = 8.66m

Average: 8.13m (8.62m inc +1)

Therefore last nights TVUK launch beat 3 of XF audition shows (excluding +1) and was within 0.1m of the auditions average. It also outrated one including plus one (although that was the Sunday of the SCD clash) TVUK would have to grow by around 800,000 to comfortably outrate them all with +1. (Not including the launch) Not saying it will do it, (it will probably fall from here right to its conclusion) but its far, far closer than Simon and Co would probably like to be seeing and also a credit to The Voice that its within a whisker of the industry leader
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The darts really eating into primetime tonight, should be getting a considerable peak.
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Will The Voice ever see 10m again? The X Factor can still manages that during a series. The Voice rated higher than X Factor during its first series but never since.
  • Options
    aberdaberdonianaberdaberdonian Posts: 241
    Forum Member
    Following on from rzt's list of consolidated series averages for BBC1 and ITV dramas, I thought I'd add an 'others' list. These do not include +1 as very few made it into the respective weekly charts on the BARB site.

As most would have predicted, the top of the chart is dominated by BBC2, with Line of Duty coming out top - 1 of only 2 series to average over 3 million. Honourable mentions though have to go to Gotham and Game of Thrones, both of which are certainly standout series for their respective channels. The 100, The Flash and The Bridge also posted impressive averages.

01 - 3.43m - Line of Duty (BBC2)
    02 - 3.28m - The Fall (BBC2)
    03 - 2.45m - Gotham (Channel 5)
    04 - 2.42m - The Honourable Woman (BBC2)
    04 - 2.42m - Castles in the Sky (BBC2)
    06 - 2.29m - 37 Days (BBC2)
    07 - 2.18m - Peaky Blinders (BBC2)
    08 - 2.15m - Marvellous (BBC2)
    09 - 2.10m - Homeland (Channel 4)
    10 - 1.92m - The Mill (Channel 4)
    11 - 1.86m - CSI (Channel 5)
    12 - 1.77m - Fargo (Channel 4)
    13 - 1.66m - Black Mirror (Channel 4)
    14 - 1.65m - Game of Thrones (Sky Atlantic)
    15 - 1.64m - Mentalist (Channel 5)
    16 - 1.61m - Agents of SHIELD (Channel 4)
    17 - 1.48m - The Bridge (BBC4)
    18 - 1.44m - NCIS (Channel 5)
    18 - 1.44m - The 100 (E4)
    18 - 1.44m - The Flash (Sky 1)

2014 Drama Consolidated Series Averages posted by rzt
    Here are the consolidated series averages for BBC One and ITV dramas in 2014:

BBC One
    1 - 11.83m - Sherlock... (+16%)
    2 - 10.42m - Call The Midwife... (+1%)
    3 - 8.46m - Death In Paradise... (+10%)
    4 - 7.38m - Silent Witness... (+2%)
    5 - 7.38m - The 7.39... (NEW/+1%)
    6 - 7.36m - Jonathan Creek... (-16%)
    7 - 7.34m - Doctor Who... (-9%)
    8 - 7.33m - The Missing... (NEW/+22%)
    9 - 7.21m - Happy Valley... (NEW/+2%)
    10 - 6.60m - The Crimson Field... (NEW/-19%)
    11 - 6.49m - Inspector George Gently... (+6%)
    12 - 6.31m - The Boy In The Dress... (NEW)
    13 - 6.30m - The Musketeers... (NEW/-43%)
    14 - 5.95m - Jamaica Inn... (NEW/-29%)
    15 - 5.74m - New Tricks... (-29%)
    16 - 5.71m - Shetland... (-16%)
    17 - 5.69m - Remember Me... (NEW/-17%)
    18 - 5.57m - In The Club... (NEW/+16%)
    19 - 5.37m - Silk... (-6%)
    20 - 5.29m - Our Zoo... (NEW/+10%)
    21 - 5.10m - Common... (NEW)
    22 - 5.03m - Our Girl... (-20%)
    23 - 4.92m - Atlantis... (-15%)
    24 - 4.88m - The Driver... (NEW/-16%)
    25 - 4.50m - The Village... (-31%)
    26 - 4.32m - Quirke... (NEW/-24%)
    27 - 4.27m - From Here To There... (NEW/-28%)
    28 - 3.77m - Mapp & Lucia... (NEW/-37%)
    29 - 3.73m - The Passing Bells... (NEW/-18%)
    30 - 3.05m - Walter... (NEW)

ITV (inc ITV+1 in brackets)
    1 - 9.63m (10.12m) - Downton Abbey... (-12%)
    2 - 7.68m (8.29m) - Cilla... (NEW/-5%)
    3 - 6.89m (7.51m) - The Widower... (NEW/+11%)
    4 - 6.79m (7.25m) - Vera... (+11%)
    5 - 6.77m (7.21m) - Prey... (NEW/-3%)
    6 - 6.74m (7.15m) - Undeniable... (NEW/-2%)
    7 - 6.56m (7.07m) - DCI Banks... (+23%)
    8 - 6.44m (6.82m) - Midsomer Murders... (+6%)
    9 - 6.24m (6.78m) - Endeavour... (-4%)
    10 - 6.05m (6.63m) - Grantchester... (NEW/-17%)
    11 - 5.90m (6.35m) - Mr Selfridge... (-21%)
    12 - 5.82m (6.14m) - Lewis... (-23%)
    13 - 5.48m (6.05m) - Scott & Bailey... (-12%)
    14 - 5.08m (5.51m) - The Bletchley Circle... (-2%)
    15 - 4.70m (5.12m) - Law & Order UK... (-10%)
    16 - 4.10m (4.42m)... The Lost Honour of Christopher Jefferies... (NEW/-7%)
    17 - 4.02m (4.40m) - Tommy Cooper: Not Like That, Like This... (NEW)
    18 - 3.82m (4.11m) - Chasing Shadows... (NEW/-17%)
    19 - 3.23m (3.52m) - The Suspicions Of Mr Whicher... (-49%)
    20 - 1.88m (2.05m) - Edge of Heaven... (NEW/-52%)

All individual episode ratings: http://oi57.tinypic.com/vxm6v9.jpg

Notes
    - The percentage change in brackets after the programme's name is the ratings rise or fall compared to the previous series
    - For new programmes, the percentage mentioned after NEW is how the final episode of the series rated compared to the first episode, to give us an idea of how well or badly the series generally held up over its run
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, exactly the same as how I see BOAF. Imagine how strong BOAF straight into Foyle's War could have been if the former had been scheduled properly and the former hadn't collapsed, could have been ITV's strongest night of the week :(

Its unfortunate ITV have almost killed it by the Boxing Day scheduling, then EastEnders clashes. Last week as its strongest episode, so hopefully that should encourage some uplift. It would have been against SOA at 7:30pm, but ITV could've held it back until SOAH had finished.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which is all very nice but none of it is a particularly strong argument against a PSB carrying live coverage of a remarkable show of unity in an increasingly fractured age. If the BBC really do have this silly rule banning pictures of the Prophet Mohammed from being shown then the least they can do is broadcast events like today on the main channel, to get the message about the West standing up to these cretins out to as wide an audience as possible.

Just because people complain about the BBC moving EastEnders for Wimbledon doesn't make it right. The Beeb are becoming far too defined by the Daily Mail culture.

So there is actually no need for any news on BBC1 as it's available on the News channel.I seem to remember BBC1 broke into MBBs to report the death of Nelson Mandela which was already running on the News channel. By the way the BBC say they have revised their guidelines and there is no ban on images of the Prophet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's interesting, some will discuss ITV at length, and also knock down TVUK but when TVUK does well, do not want it discussed, feels a bit like sensor ship.

I am a celebrity took over this thread with pre series speculation of the people taking part.
    FairPlay she was fantastic and it gets better the more you listen to it.

Yes thanks IPlayer have put up her song by its own, as said before that's equal to BGT Susan Boyle moment, it's hot people talking, I think catch up will be impressive.
    Um no ones promoting it, peoole are just discussing it. You don't see me complaining at all the SITE talk?? Although some of it is pretty funny.
    Anyone wanting more embarrassing SITE talk should look at the Radio Times online.

"Abysmal", "embarrassing", "mind-numbingly bad": Twitter was not impressed by Stars in Their Eyes

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015-01-11/abysmal-embarrassing-mind-numbingly-bad-twitter-was-not-impressed-by-stars-in-their-eyes

Cestrian18 wrote: »
    For the auditions of TVUK to overtake it wouldn't take too much more so purely for comparison sake, (and a bit of fun) here's how X Factor 2014 rated overnight for its 8 audition shows both inclusive and exclusive of +1: (You can tell I'm meant to be writing an essay!)

2.) 7.55 (643,00)= 8.18m

Therefore last nights TVUK launch beat 3 of XF audition shows (excluding +1) and was within 0.1m of the auditions average. It also outrated one including plus one (although that was the Sunday of the SCD clash) TVUK would have to grow by around 800,000 to comfortably outrate them all with +1. (Not including the launch) Not saying it will do it, (it will probably fall from here right to its conclusion) but its far, far closer than Simon and Co would probably like to be seeing and also a credit to The Voice that its within a whisker of the industry leader
    Yes credit to The Voice that its within a whisker of the so called industry leader.
    cylon6 wrote: »
    Will The Voice ever see 10m again? The X Factor can still manages that during a series. The Voice rated higher than X Factor during its first series but never since.

Well the novelty factor of the first series will never come back, a fairer benchmark is an average of the three series now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Its unfortunate ITV have almost killed it by the Boxing Day scheduling, then EastEnders clashes. Last week as its strongest episode, so hopefully that should encourage some uplift. It would have been against SOA at 7:30pm, but ITV could've held it back until SOAH had finished.

I'm not entirely sure that Foyle's War is light enough viewing for half of it to be shown before the watershed anyway, perhaps they could have gone:

7:30 All Star Family Fortunes (which would put it at a BBC One junction rather than halfway through Countryfile)
    8:30 BOAF
    9:00 Foyle's War.

You'd lose Foyle's War getting the headstart on Last Tango but by starting it at 8 it clashes with Roadshow which is similar pipe-and-slippers viewing anyway, and you also get the last half-hour of it clashing with nothing except football highlights.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    So there is actually no need for any news on BBC1 as it's available on the News channel.I seem to remember BBC1 broke into MBBs to report the death of Nelson Mandela which was already running on the News channel. By the way the BBC say they have revised their guidelines and there is no ban on images of the Prophet.

The big difference this event was well known and organised in advance, we all knew on Saturday the final details, A Death can't be predicted.

So today viewers could choose to watch BBC News as they knew it was on, but a flash had to be on BBC1 re Nelson Mandela as otherwise people could miss it.

There are numerous complaints when BBC1 changes its schedule even if it's an old film.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's interesting, some will discuss ITV at length, and also knock down TVUK but when TVUK does well, do not want it discussed, feels a bit like sensor ship.

I am a celebrity took over this thread with pre series speculation of the people taking part.

Yes thanks IPlayer have put up her song by its own, as said before that's equal to BGT Susan Boyle moment, it's hot people talking, I think catch up will be impressive.

Anyone wanting more embarrassing SITE talk should look at the Radio Times online.

"Abysmal", "embarrassing", "mind-numbingly bad": Twitter was not impressed by Stars in Their Eyes

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015-01-11/abysmal-embarrassing-mind-numbingly-bad-twitter-was-not-impressed-by-stars-in-their-eyes

Yes credit to The Voice that its within a whisker of the so called industry leader.

Well the novelty factor of the first series will never come back, a fairer benchmark is an average of the three series now.

The Voice skews much older than TXF as do many BBC shows. And despite the drop in viewing figures, TXF has so much more impact in terms of social media, tabloids and general audience.

The X Factor is the industry leader definitely in terms of hit maker. The Voice doesn't even turn up in the respect, but for the auditions it does rate well for the BBC.
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

+
    Zac, I think you are arguing for the sake of it here. The BBC is responsible for deciding what it thinks best suits its British audience on its main channel, whilst covering world events at the same time. The events from Paris were indeed moving and significant but considering it is classed as an overseas event the coverage was carried live on the News channel which 99.9% of the population can get. Other than just seeing millions of people marching in unity for several hours, there isn't much more the BBC could have shown on BBC1 than they were already showing on the News Channel. The event was given in-depth coverage on the BBC1 evening news and is available on the BBC website too, so the BBC covered it well and no one was deprived of being able to see it. You have to remember that whilst this was indeed a terrible week for France and Europe, the BBC managed quite well to keep a sensible and realistic amount of report on it without being too OTT. There certainly would have been far more complaints if BBC1's regular schedules were interrupted than there will be about maintaining the schedule. It is also about context. The BBC did opt for coverage of the London bombings on BBC1 because it was a major home event. It is highly unlikely that the French and other international broadcasters put the coverage of 7/11 on their main channels, instead opting to use their rolling News Services.
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Only if you do the same for BGT, XF and IAC.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not entirely sure that Foyle's War is light enough viewing for half of it to be shown before the watershed anyway, perhaps they could have gone:

7:30 All Star Family Fortunes (which would put it at a BBC One junction rather than halfway through Countryfile)
    8:30 BOAF
    9:00 Foyle's War.

You'd lose Foyle's War getting the headstart on Last Tango but by starting it at 8 it clashes with Roadshow which is similar pipe-and-slippers viewing anyway, and you also get the last half-hour of it clashing with nothing except football highlights.

I personally think for some of Sunday ITV should be appealing to the younger viewers against the BBC's older skewing programmes on Sunday.

And yes I would've liked BOAF on Sunday's.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    wizzywick wrote: »
    +
    Zac, I think you are arguing for the sake of it here. The BBC is responsible for deciding what it thinks best suits its British audience on its main channel, whilst covering world events at the same time. The events from Paris were indeed moving and significant but considering it is classed as an overseas event the coverage was carried live on the News channel which 99.9% of the population can get. Other than just seeing millions of people marching in unity for several hours, there isn't much more the BBC could have shown on BBC1 than they were already showing on the News Channel. The event was given in-depth coverage on the BBC1 evening news and is available on the BBC website too, so the BBC covered it well and no one was deprived of being able to see it. You have to remember that whilst this was indeed a terrible week for France and Europe, the BBC managed quite well to keep a sensible and realistic amount of report on it without being too OTT. There certainly would have been far more complaints if BBC1's regular schedules were interrupted than there will be about maintaining the schedule. It is also about context. The BBC did opt for coverage of the London bombings on BBC1 because it was a major home event. It is highly unlikely that the French and other international broadcasters put the coverage of 7/11 on their main channels, instead opting to use their rolling News Services.
    I still think this one instance in the current context should have been given as high-profile coverage as possible as a message from a PSB perspective, but yes I can see that those are all very good points generally. Certainly the Beeb got the tone and level of the coverage through the rest of the week spot-on.

Very nicely put too, if I might add :)
  • Options
    ScoreScore Posts: 17,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cestrian18 wrote: »

2.) 7.55 (643,00)= 8.18m

The Voice did very well last night, no question about it. But it was still 1.5m down on the equivalent episode of XF (the launch). I do not see it matching XF's 8.6m auditions average. Plus the gap widens as the show goes on. The Voice had to cut the live shows to just 3 weeks as they didn't work out. The live Voice shows tend to average about 6m, whilst the live XF shows averaged 8m last Autumn. The most recent Voice Final got 6.6m, the most recent XF Final got 9.4m. The Voice is a big big hit but it isn't quite XF (also XF manages to do about double the number of hours per series that The Voice does). When it first launched The Voice showed signs of toppling XF but it went and squandered it somewhat. Cowell is probably just grateful to still be ahead after that and after The Voice US consistency trounced X Factor US.
This discussion has been closed.