Options

Should I go on the sick?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
Forum Member
Hello, I am 21 years old and suffer from anxiety and very low self esteem. Up until a few weeks ago I was claiming Job Seekers Allowance and the Job Centre decided to put me on none paid work experience with The Range. I agreed and other than being anxious I was slightly looking forward to it and I was thinking positive. I only did two days as I found it very difficult dealing with people and doing a job in a competent manner which made me feel really bad about myself and I'm still feeling the effects of this experience weeks later.

The thought of having to go back was enough to make me quit and surrender my benefits so now I'm getting absolutely nothing. People who know me all say I'm not fit to work and that I should go on the sick whilst I receive help to try and overcome my feelings. I'm worried about this however as It's my dream to join the police force one day (not that I'd ever been remotely competent enough) and I'm worried that they will get free access to my medical records and deny me based on my mental health history.

I don't know what to do, I need an income as I've got about 50p in my account and my mother has had to help me these past few days which I really don't like. I try and do a part time Betterware distribution job but even that is too hard for me as I get anxious posting things through peoples letter boxes and delivering items to customers not to mention the fact that it's almost voluntary based on how poor the pay is. :(

How likely do you think it is that a poor mental health record (Counseling, anti depressants x2, going on the sick etc) would impact an application with the police 5-10 years from now when I'm hoping I've magically matured into a normal, competent person who knows how to interact in an adult world without being scared like everybody else and do you think I should go on the sick and get better?

Thanks for any help or advice that you may provide.

Comments

• Options
    frisky pythonfrisky python Posts: 9,737
    Forum Member
    If you are just waiting for when you've "magically matured into a normal, competent person" then you might not ever get in the Police force. Or feel well enough to take on another job.

I have anxiety, I am on anti-ds and in therapy. So I do understand how it can feel like it's taking over your life and stopping you living. I'll also tell you that there are many people that have their own issues, they just hide them and avoid dealing with them. What I'm saying is don't look around you and feel like everyone is is normal and competent but you're the only one that isn't. Loads of people can feel the same as you, you're not alone in that, ok?

I would in the first place see your GP. You don't have to take meds, but you might wish to. I didn't want to initially but did in the end, and they help take the edge off (rather than eradicate it completely). You may have to wait for any kind of therapy as the NHS Mental Health Services are struggling to keep up with the demand. There are places you can go to - MIND can tell you what else there is in your area. http://www.mind.org.uk/about-us/local-minds/

If you get help and support, you could address your anxiety and get on with getting another job. Without it, you could just stay where you are.
  • Options
    mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't see how this would impact an application to the police years down the line. Showing that you acknowledged and overcame mental heath issues might even be a plus.
    It's good having a goal but first you need to deal with the here and now - which is getting all the help you can - including financial support.
  • Options
    Sky_GuySky_Guy Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    Remain in the job, it will help you once you get used to it.
  • Options
    scouseyb123scouseyb123 Posts: 204
    Forum Member
    I suffer from anxiety too and I know too well how it can become all consuming as you worry about the anxiety and thus become paralysed by the fear. You CANNOT just sit at home all day running through these things in your head, you have to essentially train your brain to cope and deal with new situations so you just need to be brave and go out and do something. It may be difficult for the first few weeks doing a job but once you get into a routine it'll be worth it and you will surprise yourself, breaking out of the vicious cycle of anxiety and low self-esteem. Only you can change it.
  • Options
    phepiaphepia Posts: 1,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My ex husband was refused the Police because he had counselling as a child for being terrified of being in the dark. He applied at 30, the counselling was when he was 8. He appealed but got no where.
    The reason he was rejected was that if he was in similar circumstances on duty they couldn't be certain he wouldn't behave in same way.

May not be what you want to hear but if you are suffering with anxiety the police may not want to take a risk incase you breakdown in a stressful situation.
  • Options
    Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
    Forum Member
    First things first, I would get down the doctors asap and tell them everything get a sick note and apply for ESA.
    At least then you will have an income. My advice would be to treat ESA as job seekers allowance but with less pressure. Keep hunting for a job even part time which you think you can handle.
    Unless you find a job you will be called for a 'medical' at some point and that's when the stress really begins!
  • Options
    RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People who know me all say I'm not fit to work and that I should go on the sick whilst I receive help to try and overcome my feelings.
    Probably worth mentioning that "going on the sick" isn't just a matter of people who know you saying you should. There is a process to go through so you might want to discuss it with a medical professional first to see if it's actually a possibility.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    Aura101 wrote: »
    First things first, I would get down the doctors asap and tell them everything get a sick note and apply for ESA.
    At least then you will have an income. My advice would be to treat ESA as job seekers allowance but with less pressure. Keep hunting for a job even part time which you think you can handle.
    Unless you find a job you will be called for a 'medical' at some point and that's when the stress really begins!

...and part-time volunteering is also a way to build up experience of work and of dealing with other people and that might be able to help too.

In the meantime, DanTheOutlaw can put in an application for Employment and Support Allowance and I would suggest that he reads about the process here https://www.gov.uk/employment-support-allowance/overview and that, if necessary, he gets help with filling out the form from his nearest Citizens Advice Bureau office (plug in the postcode here http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/index/getadvice.htm ).
  • Options
    mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    phepia wrote: »
    My ex husband was refused the Police because he had counselling as a child for being terrified of being in the dark. He applied at 30, the counselling was when he was 8. He appealed but got no where.

Gosh I'm surprised at that. I'll have to eat my words earlier.
    I wonder why the OP wants so much to join the police when at the moment they find even ordinary day to day situations difficult to handle? It's a bit like me with my terrible head for heights saying one day I want to be a tight rope walker.
    Maybe it's that the notion represents being confident and in control.
    OP?
  • Options
    chaffchaff Posts: 985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry but this reads like a begging letter and not an appeal for advice. If it is a genuine appeal for advice, then I would advise you to forget about joining the police force as you sound totally unsuitable for it.
  • Options
    maxsimaxsi Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having something to aim for us great but the important time is now......

Go to doctors and explain how you feel, tell him about the range and his up made you feel and I would hope he would suggest starting treatment in some way but he will hopefully give you a 'sick note' too and then at least you can get some income

Try and be positive and start now... The future will happen later at some point
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sky_Guy wrote: »
    Remain in the job, it will help you once you get used to it.

I worked in a garden centre for a year whilst volunteering with the police as a civilian, both experiences got harder as time went on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I wonder why the OP wants so much to join the police when at the moment they find even ordinary day to day situations difficult to handle? It's a bit like me with my terrible head for heights saying one day I want to be a tight rope walker.
    OP?

I want to join the police because I'm interested in the work they do, I would enjoy being part of that world if only I was capable which I'm not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    chaff wrote: »
    Sorry but this reads like a begging letter and not an appeal for advice. If it is a genuine appeal for advice, then I would advise you to forget about joining the police force as you sound totally unsuitable for it.

What do you mean "begging letter"?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    phepia wrote: »
    The reason he was rejected was that if he was in similar circumstances on duty they couldn't be certain he wouldn't behave in same way.

May not be what you want to hear but if you are suffering with anxiety the police may not want to take a risk incase you breakdown in a stressful situation.

Doesn't matter then because I've already got mental health on my record, thanks everybody for the advice but if they're going to be that strict then no point even considering it for one moment longer.
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP?

To be fair, I did want to join the police once (and I suffer from anxieties and things) - still 'sort of' would want to join, if it didn't involve going after people for stupid, insignificant things like pot.

There's something quite noble about wanting to uphold the law I guess.
  • Options
    tigragirltigragirl Posts: 13,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why did you surrender your benefits, isn't work experience voluntary? I thought there was a big court case when some graduate was sent to somewhere like poundland for work experience and as a result they made it voluntary to go on work experience so they shouldn't stop your money.

If they sent you on mandatory work activity then that's different so maybe you need to check.

If you just never bothered signing on and let your claim close it would probably be quicker to get a rapid reclaim done for jobseekers than put in a new claim for ESA, that's if your gp will give you a sicknote.

Maybe you need to ask to see a disability adviser to see what other options there are for you regarding support to help you get into some work
  • Options
    Forum Member
    striing wrote: »
    You're right but what you can do is research jobs that contain the elements that you are interested in, minus the unpredictable high pressure that comes with being in an emergency service. There are some online tools you can use, or see a professional careers' adviser.
    I like driving and I quite like the idea of being a taxi driver. I might consider this as a possibility.
  • Options
    tigragirltigragirl Posts: 13,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here you go
    https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/advice/planning/jobprofiles/Pages/taxidriver.aspx

You do have to have a medical but not sure how much weight they put on mental health.
    I think you need a bit of outlay up front too.
    Then you have to consider the age and condition of your car or if you lease one from a taxi company, possibly self employment insurance and things like that.

We see a lot of car part delivery drivers around here, how about something like that, or look at supermarket delivery driving, you know the ones that deliver on line shopping?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    tigragirl wrote: »
    Here you go
    https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/advice/planning/jobprofiles/Pages/taxidriver.aspx

You do have to have a medical but not sure how much weight they put on mental health.
    I think you need a bit of outlay up front too.
    Then you have to consider the age and condition of your car or if you lease one from a taxi company, possibly self employment insurance and things like that.

We see a lot of car part delivery drivers around here, how about something like that, or look at supermarket delivery driving, you know the ones that deliver on line shopping?
    Thank you, for some reason when you mentioned the online shopping job I got a jolt of anxiety which I will probably be stuck with for the next hour lol. Thanks for the link!
  • Options
    sadmuppetsadmuppet Posts: 8,222
    Forum Member
    I like driving and I quite like the idea of being a taxi driver. I might consider this as a possibility.

I'd have thought that this was a job that could cause quite a bit of anxiety - meeting strangers, non-paying customers, drunk people, traffic jams/road rage.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    sadmuppet wrote: »
    I'd have thought that this was a job that could cause quite a bit of anxiety - meeting strangers, non-paying customers, drunk people, traffic jams/road rage.

You're right, so would being in the police though. I am drawn to do jobs that are out of my reach entirely, unfortunately.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    You're right, so would being in the police though. I am drawn to do jobs that are out of my reach entirely, unfortunately.

I hope your health improves and what you might care to think about if you're set on a career as a police officer is perhaps looking at being a voluntary special constable or a paid PCSO, for example.
  • Options
    sadmuppetsadmuppet Posts: 8,222
    Forum Member
    I hope your health improves and what you might care to think about if you're set on a career as a police officer is perhaps looking at being a voluntary special constable or a paid PCSO, for example.

Which I believe now have rigorous eligibility criteria, one of which is being physically and mentally able to do the work. I think that with the OP's present health concerns this will still be an issue - if he finds it too difficult to post things through people's doors and deliver online shopping to them, I'm not sure that he is cut out for the duties of a PCSO or special constable.

Better to think of things that don't bring the anxiety on and see if there are any jobs that fit that criteria whilst seeking counselling/treatment for the anxiety and self-esteem issues.