Greedy multi millionaire pop stars want even more of our money!

iain_stevenson1iain_stevenson1 Posts: 1,349
Forum Member
✭✭✭
So they've launched their own streaming music service today to rival Spotify , because they think they're n ot creaming enough money off us. How sickening and u nbeleivable is that? Greed is alive and well ion the pop music industry !

Excuse me Madonna and Jay Z - some o f us have to go to food banks in case you didn't know ! We don't all own yachts and mansions !

Comments

• glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    So they've launched their own streaming music service today to rival Spotify , because they think they're n ot creaming enough money off us. How sickening and u nbeleivable is that? Greed is alive and well ion the pop music industry !

Excuse me Madonna and Jay Z - some o f us have to go to food banks in case you didn't know ! We don't all own yachts and mansions !

Whilst I kind of agree that it just screams greed, they haven't 'launched their own streaming music service' at all. Have you actually read the stories :confused:
  • iain_stevenson1iain_stevenson1 Posts: 1,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    glyn9799 wrote: »
    Whilst I kind of agree that it just screams greed, they haven't 'launched their own streaming music service' at all. Have you actually read the stories :confused:

All I know is they want a lot more money off us hard pressed consumers, when we're all having to cope with the minimum wage and austerity. It's just taking the pi** ! >:(
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,987
    Forum Member
    Yeah, damn them for wanting to be paid better for their work. Evil bastards
  • Soapfan678Soapfan678 Posts: 3,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with the original poster. These pop stars get enough money as it is. It is just pure greed on their half.
  • Ba Na NaBa Na Na Posts: 1,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, damn them for wanting to be paid better for their work. Evil bastards

They already earn up to 70m a year? These arent struggling artists. Madonna's tour made about £340m (not the exact amount but it made A LOT)
    Soapfan678 wrote: »
    I agree with the original poster. These pop stars get enough money as it is. It is just pure greed on their half.

I agree as well. They are acting as if its a revolutionary app, if it was 2005 then yes and maybe people would pay for it, but its 2015 we have Youtube/Spotify/iTunes for music. I'm not paying £240 a year to listen to music when I can get it for free.

Also, its $20 in the US AND £20 in the UK. It should be about £14 for us.
  • ChparmarChparmar Posts: 6,367
    Forum Member
    I am sorry, but a REAL artist is always an established one. Cream always rises to the top as they say!
    No need to hate on successful individuals.

I think Tidal is a great option that offers a HIGH quality output.
  • calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

So what should they be doing - giving music away for free?

That you have to pay for music is neither sickening nor unbelievable.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All I know is they want a lot more money off us hard pressed consumers, when we're all having to cope with the minimum wage and austerity. It's just taking the pi** ! >:(

What money is it that you think they want, that they shouldn't be asking for? :confused:

Is this a wind up?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ba Na Na wrote: »
    I'm not paying £240 a year to listen to music when I can get it for free.

That's the spirit. Why isn't everything free?
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,907
    Forum Member

You go to food banks yet you've got the internet. Interesting.
  • PointyPointy Posts: 1,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd rather the artists get paid for their work, not faceless companies who have no link to them or their record labels.
  • madiain28madiain28 Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You really must be joking with this post. No one is being forced to pay anything. People have choices if you want it pay for it if not use another service. This has nothing to do with ripping people off but is another service which offers a far superior sound. If you have an expensive system you want the best quality sound. If you have a cheap speaker you will just be as happy with a lower quality steaming service.

I pay a subscription to spotify because I want better quality and no adverts and complete freedom across multiple platforms that's my choice. Will I switch to tidal yes most probably because I would rather the artists relieve a fair amount for the work they do and not the pittance spotify, you tube pay out. Before Internet you paid £10 for 1 cd for a £10 subscription you get an entire music library. Why do some people expect to get things for nothing the entire time and think everyone is trying to rip them off. When the only ones ripping off are the ones stealing music and not paying for it.

Whilst the artists involved may have a lot of money they earned it. No one is forced to ever buy music. It's a choice if you want it you should pay for it why do you think these artists should work hard on creating music and paying out a lot of money for studios etc so some scrounges can think it's there right to listen to it for free.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really can't understand all the fuss.
    Anything to which you want to listen, is likely to be available on YouTube. Much of it added by the management of these artists.
  • madiain28madiain28 Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well maybe you should work harder and spend less time complaining then you might get a promotion and maybe climb the ladder to success just as most these artists have. Your the one taking the pi**! .

Your austerity doesn't mean you don't have Internet then!
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    madiain28 wrote: »
    Well maybe you should work harder and spend less time complaining then you might get a promotion and maybe climb the ladder to success just as most these artists have. Your the one taking the pi**! .

Your austerity doesn't mean you don't have Internet then!

To be fair, consumers have always been ripped off by the music companies.

When they changed from vinyl to CD, the production costs fell dramatically.
    So what did they do?
    They made CDs far more expensive than vinyl.

Doh!
  • bluefbbluefb Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chparmar wrote: »
    I am sorry, but a REAL artist is always an established one. Cream always rises to the top as they say!
    No need to hate on successful individuals.
    Can't tell if you're joking or not. I doubt there was a single real artist on that stage.
    Forum Member
    bluefb wrote: »
    Can't tell if you're joking or not. I doubt there was a single real artist on that stage.

Let me guess, you prefer the fat cats behind the scenes of other streaming sites instead??
  • gold2040gold2040 Posts: 3,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bluefb wrote: »
    Well Jay-Z went from selling crack to being worth a half bil, not sure if that makes him more 'real' or not
  • mr mugglesmr muggles Posts: 4,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

My dear, dear Iain, there are plenty of ways to obtain music. Be resourceful dearheart.;-)

But.... please endeavour to buy from struggling artists. REALLY.
  • samantha_vinesamantha_vine Posts: 1,817
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You really must be joking with this post. No one is being forced to pay anything. People have choices if you want it pay for it if not use another service. This has nothing to do with ripping people off but is another service which offers a far superior sound. If you have an expensive system you want the best quality sound. If you have a cheap speaker you will just be as happy with a lower quality steaming service.

I pay a subscription to spotify because I want better quality and no adverts and complete freedom across multiple platforms that's my choice. Will I switch to tidal yes most probably because I would rather the artists relieve a fair amount for the work they do and not the pittance spotify, you tube pay out. Before Internet you paid £10 for 1 cd for a £10 subscription you get an entire music library. Why do some people expect to get things for nothing the entire time and think everyone is trying to rip them off. When the only ones ripping off are the ones stealing music and not paying for it.

Whilst the artists involved may have a lot of money they earned it. No one is forced to ever buy music. It's a choice if you want it you should pay for it why do you think these artists should work hard on creating music and paying out a lot of money for studios etc so some scrounges can think it's there right to listen to it for free.
    Great post:)
    Hello i am new to all this.....

I normally buy all my songs from iTunes.....I have given up on downloading music illegally due to poor quality, PC viruses etc...

Is it better to use a streaming service like Spotify or Tidal than it is to buy the actual album from iTunes....what is the difference (I know this sounds like a stupid question!)
  • gelbma0991gelbma0991 Posts: 4,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This is my issue with the response, and especially the way it's been reported as if the only reason they launched this is because they're all throwing tantrums they don't earn enough. The revenue coming from Spotify is nowhere near enough for the people who worked on these songs, and it's not just the artists I'm on about here - it's the producers, the engineers, etc etc. The business model for this service helps a lot of the individuals who work behind the scenes, I think someone (it may even have been Jay Z) say that for people who can't tour, or they don't have a big enough fanbase to get out on the road, this works better for them as they will get a fairer cut.

I also don't get this attitude that because the people who are shareholders are millionaires, it gives them any less right to be paid for the work they put out? the fact that you're paying a maximum of £20 a month for lossless quality audio, and millions of tracks REALLY doesn't seem like a big deal - considering that you will pay up to £20 for two new CDs. If I was a business man, reached a goal of earning say £3m, I wouldn't turn round and say "oh I'll work for free now, I have enough money". People are right that we live in an age where too much is expected for no money at all.

I honestly don't see the problem with it, it's an option and it's not something that is suddenly going to replace Spotify, iTunes or even CDs. If you're happy with a certain way of listening to music, then stick with that and stop moaning about a new service that you're probably not even going to use.
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,987
    Forum Member
    Ba Na Na wrote: »
    They already earn up to 70m a year? These arent struggling artists. Madonna's tour made about £340m (not the exact amount but it made A LOT)

And? They are working and deserve to be paid for their work.
  • tangsmantangsman Posts: 3,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    None of them have made a cent from me as I think they are all sh!t.
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hello i am new to all this.....

I normally buy all my songs from iTunes.....I have given up on downloading music illegally due to poor quality, PC viruses etc...

Is it better to use a streaming service like Spotify or Tidal than it is to buy the actual album from iTunes....what is the difference (I know this sounds like a stupid question!)

According to this article, "we just don't know".

However this article cites an artist who made only $300 from Spotify in six months but made $45,000 from iTunes over the same period. So for some artists iTunes is clearly a better option.
    Forum Member

I think we can all agree: that for the best quality, CDs and loss less streaming services are the best, but it is only noticeable on very high end equipment.

You'll have to pay for it and you will probably get less.