Why Surfin Bird' is likely to fail

ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,524
Forum Member
✭✭
1) Popularity of Matt - Last year's X-Factor was a much closer contest. It's been obvious from week one this year that Matt was going to win, and by quite a large voting margin as well. He will certainly sell more than Joe did last year.

2) Surfin' Bird - A Novelty Song - Killing In The Name was a genuinely good song, a 90s alt-metal classic, that a lot of people enjoyed regardless of the campaign. Surfin Bird', even when first released, was never intended to be anything other than a novelty track. People are less likely to buy those.

3) Many Of Horror - In contrast to last year's dire Miley Cyrus cover, Matt has actually chosen a good song to cover.

4) Will it ever work again? - Last year was a great achievement, but whether people will be prepared to go through it all again is another issue. There was a lot of money spent by some people on getting RATM to No. 1, and I just can't see that same level of fervour for Surfin' Bird.

5) No rock/metal support - Don't underestimate this: rock and metal fans were out en-force to support RATM last year. Surfin' Bird doesn't have that same level of fan support.

Just to clear things up, I'm not an X-Factor fan in the least - I hate what it stands for and shall not be buying Matt's single (although I will buy the Biffy original) - and I supported RATM last year, but this year's campaign seems doomed to failure.

Comments

• hypervisorhypervisor Posts: 959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it will fail due to there been no media attention despite the massive facebook campaign and how many copys have been sold in the last 24hours
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ags_rule wrote: »
    1) Popularity of Matt - Last year's X-Factor was a much closer contest. It's been obvious from week one this year that Matt was going to win, and by quite a large voting margin as well. He will certainly sell more than Joe did last year.

2) Surfin' Bird - A Novelty Song - Killing In The Name was a genuinely good song, a 90s alt-metal classic, that a lot of people enjoyed regardless of the campaign. Surfin Bird', even when first released, was never intended to be anything other than a novelty track. People are less likely to buy those.

3) Many Of Horror - In contrast to last year's dire Miley Cyrus cover, Matt has actually chosen a good song to cover.

4) Will it ever work again? - Last year was a great achievement, but whether people will be prepared to go through it all again is another issue. There was a lot of money spent by some people on getting RATM to No. 1, and I just can't see that same level of fervour for Surfin' Bird.

5) No rock/metal support - Don't underestimate this: rock and metal fans were out en-force to support RATM last year. Surfin' Bird doesn't have that same level of fan support.

Just to clear things up, I'm not an X-Factor fan in the least - I hate what it stands for and shall not be buying Matt's single (although I will buy the Biffy original) - and I supported RATM last year, but this year's campaign seems doomed to failure.

well said.... i agree with your reasoning.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another reason is that aprt from on this forum, I have barely heard the Surfin Bird campaign mentioned anywhere
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    soundstory wrote: »
    Another reason is that aprt from on this forum, I have barely heard the Surfin Bird campaign mentioned anywhere

heres over 620,000 people who are aware.

The media have blacklisted us
    http://www.facebook.com/birdbirdbirdistheword
  • eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The following retorts are of my own personal opinion and aren't meant as fact.

1. I'm not aware how popular Matt is. I despise X Factor and group everyone as the blank canvas manufactured Cowell ass-kissing puppets as I see them to be.

2. Surfing Bird is a novelty song. You could argue novelty sells well at Christmas, we just need to look back as far as 93's Mr Blobby.

3. For me, Many of Horror is the worst track on Only Revolutions. I just skip it when I'm listening to the CD these days.

4. Will it work again? It might, it might not?

5. The Rage facebook campaign from last year still has an active Facebook presence and they have been promoting Surfing Bird on their page. Plus Rage have a right to be pissed off with X Factor this year as the "Vote Wagner" campaign were saying that they were backed by Rage, of which Rage actually complained to Facebook to get that page removed.

Just my thoughts :)
  • reishunreishun Posts: 3,200
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1. although he may have got many votes, how will it translate to buys especially when the song he's covering is not the that old and offers no real difference to the original.

2. Maybe a novelty song but it's christmas so there's an appeal for that.

3. To recent, people may aswell just buy the original biffy clyro one, maybe changing the name is a way of duping people into thinking it's original.

4. Despite what I've said above it wont work again simply because last year was about knocking x factor down a peg and they succeeded, alot of people have moved on, and with all the new campaigns the buys will be divided.

5. agreed although there still are many intent knocking x factor down.

Personally I don't think there is a need for another campaign, I'd like for something else to get number 1 just because it's; new, original and not a gimmick. Let's be honest if people were buying Matt's first single based on how it sounded alone, nothing to do with who he is or how talented he is then he would be lucky to break top 10.
  • slapmattslapmatt Posts: 2,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the Family Guy angle may well tip it in favour of Surfin' Bird.

I'm very disappointed that BBC3 didn't do a Family Guy night last night opposite X-Factor, I think they missed a trick there.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 382
    Forum Member
    No-one seems to be backing Surfin' Bird on a national level. If the Family Guy people made a video or something it might help but I can see it finishing top 5 at best.

The main reason is that the winner is not Mary or Aiden, or Cher. Matt is generally respected and is expected to become a legitimate artist in his own right and I think the public will give him this chance.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Greg james played it o n radio 1 on his show today after getting hundreds and hundreds of requests for the song.

Scott Mills will be backing it too on his show.

Now the 4million plus fans on the shows will have a chance of fliping the Bird to the x factor :)
  • ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Winterland wrote: »
    No-one seems to be backing Surfin' Bird on a national level.

Yes, this is true.

Look at the main story on the BBC website today - it's about the X-Factor, and next to it they have a link saying "Chart battle: Cage vs. Cowell". It's as if the media haven't done their homework and just are going with the first campaign that was created, rather than realising that Surfin Bird' is the main contender.
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would be nice to see another song get to the Xmas no.1 on its own merits, beating the XF and not just because of anti-XF campaigning.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    #4 on itunes now. Thanks greg james
  • GARETH197901GARETH197901 Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and now scott mills is plugging it again:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    scott and becky legends
  • Gaspanic!Gaspanic! Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The media need to pick this up
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    they may do tomorrow, but i think the surfin bird is blacklisted by 99.9% of the media
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    It doesn't matter who the winner or what the winners song it. It is going to sell well anyway. People were actually silly enough to pre-order digital copies of the song without even knowing who won or what the song it.

There's not much media attention this year which will be the biggest reason it fails if it does.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ITV news just done a list of campaigns to challenge matt and the bird wasn't mentioned....there running scared me thinks
    Forum Member
    hypervisor wrote: »
    ITV news just done a list of campaigns to challenge matt and the bird wasn't mentioned....there running scared me thinks

Being the biggest one, they obviously avoided it on purpose.
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    hypervisor wrote: »
    #4 on itunes now. Thanks greg james

#3 on iTunes now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How accurate is this iTunes indication anyway? We have to wait till tomorrow when DS releases the mid-week chart positions. Oh, and I agree with all of the OP's points.
  • HerefordgirlHerefordgirl Posts: 3,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My thoughts...

If you liked alt metal, yes... but plenty of people don't - they're more likely to recognise Surfin' Bird. And historically, LOADS of people buy novelty records, whether it's Agadoo or the Crazy Frog song.

No-one I know had ever heard of the song before, let alone the band! That may work in Matt's favour as some might think it's "all his own work". When X Factor chose to slaughter Halleluiah, people rushed to buy decent versions of it - unfortunately there were two or three of those so it diluted the effect.

I can see where you're going with that. Generally single sales aren't as high as they used to be and a concerted group of fans could definitely have an effect. I don't see that so much this year although if the 600k fans all buy a copy of Surfin Bird it must get there surely?

However this idea of a silent record, whilst clever, is a complete loser. You'd have to be pretty daft to buy a record of silence (or coughs and splutters), even if it is for charity. If I want to listen to a soothing noise there's a really good website that plays white noise - free....
  • AdamDowdsAdamDowds Posts: 2,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last year I was all for taking X Factor off the top spot for Christmas, now it's just going to get stupid.

Also, Family Guy and that 'song' is the biggest pile of animated turd I've ever witnessed.
    Forum Member
    I just heard that Surfin Bird is being bigged up on 4Chan, which is good news considering that this is the second biggest discussion forum in the world and renowned for it's campaigns.

Let's hope they get onto it as well (although I'm not sure if they'll be able to buy digital tracks which contribute to the UK's chart)
  • Ghost WorldGhost World Posts: 7,036
    Forum Member
    If you liked alt metal, yes... but plenty of people don't - they're more likely to recognise Surfin' Bird. And historically, LOADS of people buy novelty records, whether it's Agadoo or the Crazy Frog song.
    Idiots buy novelty records, and I suspect there's significant overlap with X Factor viewers there.