What are you reading at the moment? (Part 4)

Comments

• tv_lover_06tv_lover_06 Posts: 6,278
    Forum Member
    Smithy1204 wrote: »
    I am the opposite - recently read 'Stolen Child' but not yet read 'Daughter! I enjoyed Stolen Child though, if that helps, I'd say it's worth a read. :)

Hi Smithy,

I have yet to get to Stolen Child but saw your later suggestion of From The Cradle - i really want to get that now too :D

It is encouraging as we seem to have somewhat similar taste!

I have started Girl on the Train recently, i'm liking it so far. Had to find out what all the hype is about :)
  • clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    Wounds of Honour by Anthony Riches

Book 1 in the Empire series of Roman novels set around Hadrians Wall
  • Beautiful_HarvBeautiful_Harv Posts: 9,144
    Forum Member
    Luca Veste - Dead Gone
  • The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dymafi wrote: »
    Finished Karen Joy Fowler's 'We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves'. Beautifully written full of humour and err.. monkey buisness

I purchased this on my kindle through recommendations from many friends, whose opinion I trust. It was the biggest pile of lame, meandering and thinly plotted drivel I've read in a long time. The characters were mainly hateful and to me it read like someone who has a strong interest in and has possibly studied animal psychology trying to write a story round it. It just didn't work. I couldn't bear it, sorry.
  • the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have started 'The Plantagenets' by Dan Jones. I wanted to learn more about this era as am shaky with my knowledge of the eras from Henry I up to Richard II. I heard that it wasn't like a dull history book and is indeed very involving and readable. From Amazon:
    This brilliant new book explores the lives of eight generations of the greatest kings and queens that this country has ever seen, and the worst. The Plantagenets – their story is the story of Britain.

England’s greatest royal dynasty, the Plantagenets, ruled over England through eight generations of kings. Their remarkable reign saw England emerge from the Dark Ages to become a highly organised kingdom that spanned a vast expanse of Europe. Plantagenet rule saw the establishment of laws and creation of artworks, monuments and tombs which survive to this day, and continue to speak of their sophistication, brutality and secrets.

Dan Jones brings you a new vision of this battle-scarred history. From the Crusades, to King John’s humbling over Magna Carta and the tragic reign of the last Plantagenet, Richard II – this is a blow-by-blow account of England’s most thrilling age.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Plantagenets-Dan-Jones/dp/0007213948/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1427550581&sr=1-1&keywords=the+plantagenets+by+dan+jones

At some stage I want to read the sequel also by Jones which is 'The Hollow Crown: The Wars of the Roses and the Rise of the Tudors'.
  • Smithy1204Smithy1204 Posts: 4,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Smithy,

I have yet to get to Stolen Child but saw your later suggestion of From The Cradle - i really want to get that now too :D

It is encouraging as we seem to have somewhat similar taste!

I have started Girl on the Train recently, i'm liking it so far. Had to find out what all the hype is about :)

We definitely have similar taste - I have Girl on the Train on my Amazon want-to-read list for the same reason!

I'm about halfway through From the Cradle now and still enjoying it. :)
    Luca Veste - Dead Gone

I read this recently too - what do you think of it?
    Forum Member

I read this recently too - what do you think of it?

I'm halfway through, quite liking it. He reminds me of Thorne

Did you like it?
  • d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having read 4 in a row of the Ruth Galloway series by Elly Griffiths, I've decided to take a break and read something completely different before I start the last 2, so I've started The Lord God made Them All by James Herriott.
  • cathy27cathy27 Posts: 271
    Forum Member
    Finished The Cuckoo's Calling yesterday by Robert Galbraith. Now onto the Silkworm, the 2nd Cormoran Strike book. I've had these on my kindle for almost a year now and only just fancied reading them. I really enjoyed the first one.
  • ReddybookReddybook Posts: 281
    Forum Member
    The Quiet Game - Greg Iles
    Legal thriller about a celebrated lawyer/author who returns to his home town in Mississippi to solve a thirty year old murder.
    Great storytelling and many diverse characters to keep you hooked.
    Forum Member
    The Doomsday Testament by James Douglas
  • tv_lover_06tv_lover_06 Posts: 6,278
    Forum Member
    We definitely have similar taste - I have Girl on the Train on my Amazon want-to-read list for the same reason!

I'm about halfway through From the Cradle now and still enjoying it. :)

I just read the sample on Kindle! Hooked so far - it may even get read before I continue Girl on the train.

I also like the fact there is a series about the detective. Hopefully all the books will be as great :cool:
    Forum Member
    Stephen Booth - Dead and buried
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,989
    Forum Member
    I've just started "The Hunger Games" by Suzanne Collins. I'm only two chapters in but I'm really enjoying it so far.

I have, however already seen the film.
  • Terrence ChantTerrence Chant Posts: 1,333,984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Rise of the Super Furry Animals • Ric Rawlins
    Forum Member
    Sharp Objects - Gillian Flynn
  • zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In readiness for the Marvel Movie I'm audiobooking the graphic audio Civil Wars book and am appreciating
    how great it is to have Spiderman available and how good it could be if Wolverine could make an appearance too.
  • moonlilymoonlily Posts: 7,889
    Forum Member
    Fourth of July Creek. It's different I guess but I haven't made my mind up if I'm liking it or not.
  • Fink-NottleFink-Nottle Posts: 60,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A Colder War by Charles Cumming.
    Forum Member
    A Colder War by Charles Cumming.

That's on my to read shelf, the first one - A Foreign Country - is great
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,989
    Forum Member
    cathy27 wrote: »
    Sharp Objects - Gillian Flynn

Is that good? I enjoyed "Gone Girl" and I have "Dark Places" on my "To read..." list.
    Forum Member
    mimicole wrote: »
    Is that good? I enjoyed "Gone Girl" and I have "Dark Places" on my "To read..." list.

I struggled to get into it but then there were times once I had that I couldn't put it down. I'm not sure it will be one I re-read but it is worth a go if you can get it at a reasonable price 😊
    Forum Member
    One Mile Under - Andrew Gross
    Forum Member
    Ruth Rendell - The Keys to the Street