Options

Watchdog - May 2014

Comments

• Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,944
    Forum Member
    roddydogs wrote: »
    Complete non story about sports direct, it says up to....whats the problem? their stuff is cheap & reasonable quality.
    As for the paint, what did she do, paint her face with it how can you compare labelling with cosmetics?

The problem is it's illegal as stated by the expert in these things.
  • Options
    Shady_Pines1Shady_Pines1 Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This show reminds me of that Not The Nine O'Clock News sketch that was parodying That's Life. They kept telling stories of some awful incidents befalling some guy and then saying "we contacted the electricity board and they said this has nothing to do with us" (which it didn't). In conclusion, Watchdog is shite.
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shame what has happened to it these days as it used to be quite good, It even used to have a separate show called Rogue Traders.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does it? I didn't know about Gold Parking and I doubt 99% of the viewers did either.

I am sure there are other similar companies so it does do any harm to warn people at the start of the holiday season.
  • Options
    BushmillsBushmills Posts: 2,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Batch wrote: »
    If there are people too stupid to realise that "up to X%" sale items aren't necessarily X% off, then I'd imagine 10% is going to be beyond them.

What are you saying? That if people are stupid, then hoodwinking them is OK?

Actually, I would have thought that they're exactly the sort who need the most protection from venal companies. If Watchdog is looking out for stupid people (who also pay the licence fee), then good on them. Providing a public service is exactly what the BBC is meant to be doing.
  • Options
    roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Putting "Up to" is illegal? I suppose advertising something a "From £xxx" is also illegal?
    Next week............DFS sales showing a RRP is wrong.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Putting "Up to" is illegal? I suppose advertising something a "From £xxx" is also illegal?

Can't remember the details but I would think it is illegal to advertise 'UP TO XX% OFF' if there nothing at XX% off but the retails are crafty and will make sure there is one item at that discount.

I think most people tend to ignore them anyway just as you get used to the shop with CLOSING DOWN SALE permanently displayed.
  • Options
    BushmillsBushmills Posts: 2,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Just because you yourself may have seen through a scam, it doesn't mean that other people have, seen through it, too.

These sales tricks are effective, which is why they're still in use.

If the likes of DFS thought that everyone was wise to their scams, they wouldn't keep doing them (and risking prosecution as a result).
  • Options
    NickLangleyNickLangley Posts: 561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to get a reduction on my Sky broadband as I had their TV, but when I cancelled all the TV they forgot about my broadband and kept giving me the reduction for a TV service I didn't have. So one to me!

I then dumped their broadband as well! :D

That's nothing.

A certain company used to provide all my broadband and phone services. When I switched to a new provider they forgot to switch off my broadband. I have been enjoying free broadband for the past five years.:D
  • Options
    roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bushmills wrote: »
    Just because you yourself may have seen through a scam, it doesn't mean that other people have, seen through it, too.

These sales tricks are effective, which is why they're still in use.

If the likes of DFS thought that everyone was wise to their scams, they wouldn't keep doing them (and risking prosecution as a result).

Hardly a "Scam" do people really go into SD or TkMax & really believe the RRP is correct?:kitty:
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spot the planted review:

http://www.google.com/#as_qdr=all&q=gold+parking&safe=active&lrd=lrd

Their website has now gone! :D
  • Options
    hunter23hunter23 Posts: 3,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    matt needs to come up with a plan where the scammers are not close enough to their car. he only usually gets 5 seconds out of them before they drive off.
  • Options
    GoCompareThisGoCompareThis Posts: 10,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    £12,000 for Wimbledon tickets including £1,100 for a BOOKING FEE?!! :o
  • Options
    albion-mad-nickalbion-mad-nick Posts: 4,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I struggle to believe that anybody would pay these prices for tickets.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just remembered how juvenile this show is.
  • Options
    Jesse PinkmanJesse Pinkman Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    I'm so glad they are taking it seriously this week and not massaging their own egos.

Oh wait........................
  • Options
    GoCompareThisGoCompareThis Posts: 10,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AHHH!! Get off my TV Fiona Phillips!
  • Options
    sianlovescatssianlovescats Posts: 1,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's nothing.

A certain company used to provide all my broadband and phone services. When I switched to a new provider they forgot to switch off my broadband. I have been enjoying free broadband for the past five years.:D

It’s about time one of ‘us’ had something free off ‘them’. I hope you are still enjoying your free ISP....but also hope that your username isn’t your real name! *ouch* haha.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Why does the "Booking Fee" go up with the price when they have to do the same amount of work? It doesn't matter if it's a £20 ticket or a £200,000 one. All they are doing is saying we have one and posting it to you.
  • Options
    gothergother Posts: 14,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is utter BS as the price is shown on screen before you purchase dlc.
  • Options
    North DownsNorth Downs Posts: 2,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why does Anne Robinson talk through gritted teeth? Her lips move but her teeth don't.
  • Options
    westy89westy89 Posts: 263
    Forum Member
    gother wrote: »
    This is utter BS as the price is shown on screen before you purchase dlc.

I'm pretty sure on xbox you get asked to choose payment option aswell
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The only way around this is to require EACH transaction to be authorised. None of this "Give us your card number and we will abuse it as a when we think".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just the classic case of parents being too lazy to check these things and letting their kids have free reign.
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If someone's happy to pay that, that's their prerogative.

However, if people want to stop firms asking (that's the important word) these prices, it's very simple - don't buy at inflated prices. Nobody ever suffered death or disability for not going to a theatre.