Skin conditions - what do you use?

Hello!

At the end of last year I was diagnosed with something called Pityriasis Rubra Pilaris (PRP) which essentially is a combination of Psoriasis, Eczema and something else which effects the hair follicles. It had been going on for over a year before I was diagnosed (our dermatology department are really hopeless) and in the words of the doctors, it has a life of its own. I've had a right old problem trying to find creams and lotions etc. that don't irritate it because it is super sensitive and I just wondered what other people use. I can't even where perfume or makeup and a lot of jewellery rubs, the only piece that doesn't is my Pandora bracelet. In the last few weeks, I have found that the Simple products are doing some good. It has almost cleared it up on my face (but I know it would flare up again if I stopped using it) and has really settled down on the rest of my body which is great. All the chemical-packed lotions and potions that dermatology have prescribed are painful to put on, they sting so much but Simple is a prayer answered for me!

Does anyone else have tips for dealing with similar skin problems? Your stories?

Rebecca :)

Comments

• Kay_ElKay_El Posts: 138
    Forum Member
    I have psoriasis on my scalp and use Johnson's baby shampoo as it doesn't irritate. You can lather it up and use it as a soapy solution for the body, too.

tbh the best thing I did for my psoriasis is cut out bread and anything else with yeast in. i'm sure there's some link between yeast and psoriasis.
  • mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a long standing blemish with some inflammation on my chin which was checked out with a biopsy last year. There was nothing suspect but the dermatologist couldn't offer any suggestions. Sea buckthorn rosacea and anti redness cream, aloe vera cream and proper prescription rosacea cream have had no effect.
    I also get what I think is a bit of excema/psoriasis behind the ears occasionally but a dab of Savlon clears it up.

Another vote here for Simple however. I use their cleanser plus a 'home made' toner of diluted witch hazel and my skin is really good (apart from the chin!)
  • BattleAxeBattleAxe Posts: 85
    Forum Member
    Cetraben - get it at Boots. It's been a lifesaver for my eczema. Very gentle and moisturising.
  • Pink_SmurfPink_Smurf Posts: 6,883
    Forum Member
    E45 Cream is gentle. You can get E45 wash lotion too. Boots do an aqueous cream too which is cheaper. I had a couple of operations in hospital and they told me to use E45 cream/lotion or Nivea moisturizer to massage into the scars to help them heal. I would cut out yeast, sugar and milk as they can irritate skin conditions and allergies. You can get milk substitutes like rice milk in supermarkets. You can get Free From in Sainsburys which have dairy free etc products.
  • Sansa_SnowSansa_Snow Posts: 1,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi, I really like the Boots tea tree and witch hazel night gel or shine control day moisturiser (they both seem to be the same product to be honest) I wouldn't recommend it as a moisturiser but I find it good to soothe the face and reduce redness and blemishes, you can also use it as a cleanser or face wash.
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oats are very good for scaly skin conditions. Tie a handful of oats in a muslim cloth and add to the bathwater for an oat bath. Then use Aveeno moisturising cream which has oatmeal in it.

Hope this helps.
  • Lin4237Lin4237 Posts: 304
    Forum Member
    Hello!
    At the end of last year I was diagnosed with something called Pityriasis Rubra Pilaris (PRP) which essentially is a combination of Psoriasis, Eczema and something else which effects the hair follicles. It had been going on for over a year before I was diagnosed (our dermatology department are really hopeless) and in the words of the doctors, it has a life of its own. I've had a right old problem trying to find creams and lotions etc. that don't irritate it because it is super sensitive and I just wondered what other people use. I can't even where perfume or makeup and a lot of jewellery rubs, the only piece that doesn't is my Pandora bracelet. In the last few weeks, I have found that the Simple products are doing some good. It has almost cleared it up on my face (but I know it would flare up again if I stopped using it) and has really settled down on the rest of my body which is great. All the chemical-packed lotions and potions that dermatology have prescribed are painful to put on, they sting so much but Simple is a prayer answered for me!
    Does anyone else have tips for dealing with similar skin problems? Your stories?
    Rebecca :)

Rebecca it might help you to read this link http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/001471.htm
    I suffered from pretty bad psoriasis but cured this by taking Evening Primrose tablets. My daughter also suffers and I am asking her to try Evening Primrose as well. Ask you doctor/Boots pharmicist (much better in my opinion), if topical creams containing urea or lactic acid will help and to identify one that may help you.
  • babyshezbabyshez Posts: 993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have eczema and use Dream Cream from LUSH Cosmetics. They also have another product called Sympathy for the Skin which is also gorgeous, so soothing and moisturising,
  • LilNikki1987LilNikki1987 Posts: 261
    Forum Member
    I have rosacea and use Clinique's Redness Solutions range of cleanser, toner and daily relief cream. I've found it a godsend :)
  • Drift AwayDrift Away Posts: 348
    Forum Member
    I really hope you are still here to read this.

Warm salt water and Tea Tree Oil as well as your doctor prescribed ointment. Wiping after a toilet and washing yourself with warm water without detergentless soap. Keep the area moistured, especially after a shower or bath with body lotion.

Give it a try for a few months.
  • Drift AwayDrift Away Posts: 348
    Forum Member
    Kay_El wrote: »
    I have psoriasis on my scalp and use Johnson's baby shampoo as it doesn't irritate. You can lather it up and use it as a soapy solution for the body, too.

tbh the best thing I did for my psoriasis is cut out bread and anything else with yeast in. i'm sure there's some link between yeast and psoriasis.

I have that on the inner side of the foreskin :cry:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My baby daughter had terrible eczema and it was making her life a misery with the constant scratching she was doing to it which was making it bleed, and weeping patches all over.

I cut out dairy products (as I am breastfeeding so what I eat affects her) and that really helped but took a fair few weeks. Obviously I don't give her dairy products to eat either.

The things I have been prescribed for her by dermatologist are Cetraben which is to be used as soap, Eumovate steroid ointment, Betacap steroid solution for her scalp, and Unguentum as a body moisturiser. The steroids have done wonders but obviously cannot be used long term.
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have rosacea and use Clinique's Redness Solutions range of cleanser, toner and daily relief cream. I've found it a godsend :)

I have just placed an order for the cream ... and winced at the price. I am a cheap and cheerful gal normally. But I have been suffering with thread veins and broken capillaries under my skin and its really getting me down. I have been slapping on foundation, but it doesn't cover them and I couldn't think what else to try. I have always had nice clear skin, but over the last year the thread veins have crept up on me.

When my Mum (who has terrible eyesight) commented on my face and asked if I had a rash, I knew it looked bad so now I am terribly self conscious. Hopefully the cream will work.
  • CSJBCSJB Posts: 6,188
    Forum Member
    My oh has suffered badly from eczema all her life and tried many creams and potions, prescribed and over the counter, with limited success.
    She has recently discovered dr organics intensive rescue Manuka honey cream from Holland and Barrett's, best product she has ever used apparently.
  • MissliMissli Posts: 3,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    babyshez wrote: »
    I have eczema and use Dream Cream from LUSH Cosmetics. They also have another product called Sympathy for the Skin which is also gorgeous, so soothing and moisturising,

Seconded. Natural products are soothing for dry/irritated skin, plus Lush products smell nice. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Hello all!

Thank you to each and every one of you for your advice. Over the last few months I have discovered that coconut oil and Simple face wipes do the trick and now my condition has completely cleared up! Every day I would cover my whole body in coconut oil (after three sessions of putting it on my scalp before washing my hair, no word of a lie, it totally cleared up!) and now all I get is a slightly dry patch on my face unless I stick to my routine. In mornings and evenings I wash my face with just water, rub coconut oil all over my face and neck, leave for at least half an hour and then use a Simple wipe. In the mornings, I always put a tiny bit on the bridge of my nose and around my eyes (where I tend to get dry) after using the cleansing wipe and carry a pack of wipes with me in my bag.

I hope everyone else is getting on well. :)