Oculus Rift

Comments

• whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edwinbot wrote: »
    http://www.engadget.com/2013/06/17/oculus-rift-16-million/

They just secured 16 million of direct investment to accelerate development...I suspect this was a wise investment and these guys just bought into the next facebook/google story.

The next facebook or the next ouya? :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    Asmo wrote: »
    The accelerometers and gyroscopes of Joypads would make them ideal for aiming in your face-shooter games - hold out your gun to aim, and again actually see 'your' limb with it's weapon/tool/ crosshairs in front of you in the game.
    Probably need to put any breakables well out of reach...

Which is exactly how the Razer Hydras work. They give you virtual hands if the developer chooses to use them that way.

And you're right, if you're standing up using this thing, with or without virtual hands, best not to do it stood next to the best china!

The Hydra's are super sensitive/accurate. Unless they're improved it massively since the last time I tried it, Kinnect is not. Only time I tried it on a friend's 360 I though it was utter rubbish. Trying to control anything through it felt vague, disconnected and laggy. Never tried PS Move. Wii with motion plus would also be fine.
  • boxxboxx Posts: 5,335
    Forum Member
    Lots coming out of CES about OR.
    Nice Q&A: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NwG7OkREOQ
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Valve has just included I guess 'beta' VR mode into the Steam client, I guess they will be showing it off on thursday or friday.
  • AsmoAsmo Posts: 15,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The possibilities go far beyond gaming - the next step is near-360 degree still and video capture, in 3D, using an Oculus as a viewer. For example, there's a 2D 360 degree camera -

http://www.panono.com/ballcamera/

For that, the Oculus would be a fun way to view your images - but it's not 3D. That's going to need a much more sophisticated device - but it'll come.
    Just imagine what your photo album would be like, if your snaps were literally like slices of space-time to revisit!
  • ritchritch Posts: 2,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the people that get on my tits are the ones that say 3D is a gimmick. Its not to some peoples taste but that doesn't mean it is a bloody gimmick! I use 3D vision and dread having to go back to 2D because of the lack of support for it. To me 3D is much more immersive, the games just come alive. Looking forward to experiencing the Oculus Rift.

I see it as a mood thing though, I cant imagine wearing the head set all the time for gaming, I think there will be times you wont want to feel like you are in the game to that extent.
  • The_OneThe_One Posts: 2,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm looking forward to this VR/OR.

I had 3x 27" monitors for my gaming setup, then I was thinking about upgrading to 3x 40" TV's. Then I heard and read into Oculus Rift... if this VR headset costs say £300 I'd have made a saving of like £3k of what I was going to spend on a 3x 40" setup.

So I ditched my monitors for a 42" TV while I wait on the Oculus Rift. Even if the 3x 40" TV setup was given to me for free I'd still prefer this VR headset for £300.

Will be awesome in games like Star Citizen.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OR has healthy competition from Valve VR. In fact, people who have tried both have unanimously said that Valve's prototype blows OR (including the latest Crystal Cove update) out of the water.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apparently Devs have finally been given if not access to, then details of Sony's forthcoming mystery VR unit, and Valve unveiled their superior VR kit (not consumer ready yet). Note too, that Oculus also have higher quality models in the pipeline.

http://specmypc.co.uk/news/2014/01/16/valves-virtual-reality-headset-blows-oculus-rift-away/

http://thesonicreblog.com/valve-vr-and-oculus/

The OR is likely to be the entry-level option for the experience, and as tech trickles down the price scale, the sort of quality you might expect in coming years should make these things serious business.

I think I might start a gamers sickbag company. Probably the first of many accessories needed.
  • darkknight77darkknight77 Posts: 3,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edwinbot wrote: »
    http://www.engadget.com/2013/06/17/oculus-rift-16-million/

They just secured 16 million of direct investment to accelerate development...I suspect this was a wise investment and these guys just bought into the next facebook/google story.

I have a feeling you'll look back on this post and laugh/cringe in a few years from now.

I honestly can't see the OR being much more than a curiosity for most gamers, and notoriously any "on the head" devices, or anything that makes you use glasses, extra peripherals etc. in the past have failed abysmally, the first VR revolution in the early 90s, the Virtual Boy, 3DTV currently etc.

This guy sums it up pretty well, how many people game in a house/room totally on their own? Usually you have your roomates/family/wife etc. in the house too, and people do not like to be that anti-social guy cut off from the rest of the house in the corner. I can't see it being much of a success to be honest:

http://youtu.be/5yPdgYZ_040?t=1m
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a feeling you'll look back on this post and laugh/cringe in a few years from now.

I honestly can't see the OR being much more than a curiosity for most gamers, and notoriously any "on the head" devices, or anything that makes you use glasses, extra peripherals etc. in the past have failed abysmally, the first VR revolution in the early 90s, the Virtual Boy, 3DTV currently etc.

There's no comparison between what's coming and the hardware of the original 'VR' craze. In the 90s, the headsets had a very narrow field of view, being simply two low-res camcorder viewer screens (typically 320x200 or less in res). They were like looking out a dirty window that was several feet from your face, not an all-encompassing view. They had no headtracking, except for the non-consumer versions with pitiful lag. The hardware driving them ran software that would embarass free mobile phone games of today.
    The Virtual Boy wasn't wearable or VR, just 3D. Some of the games are pretty good, but it was a tough sell, not being one thing or the other.

Technology has finally intersected with the bare minimum requirements for what VR was meant to be - the Oculus Rift is only the first step, this is definitely going to happen, it's the logical evolution from looking at the game or simulation being played, to being 'in' it.
    This guy sums it up pretty well, how many people game in a house/room totally on their own? Usually you have your roomates/family/wife etc. in the house too, and people do not like to be that anti-social guy cut off from the rest of the house in the corner. I can't see it being much of a success to be honest:

http://youtu.be/5yPdgYZ_040?t=1m

Lots of people play on their own - or online with others which is the same. Why not join your friends in a VR game, with recognisable avatars? Take the missus out for a spot of online face-shooting, and enjoy the sunset in the aftermath :-)
  • HotelierHotelier Posts: 13,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some people who havent actually used it say "Its been done before, 3d is nothing new etc etc"

People, like me, who have actually used it.."wow, incredible!!!....never experienced anything like this in a game before".

It's truly magnificent and when the 1080p version comes out...cannot wait!.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some amazing rumours about Sony's forthcoming VR headset - high resolution, wide FOV and uses PS move style tracking - a system that was hailed as very convincing for Valve's prototype and Oculus' crystal cove prototype -

http://www.roadtovr.com/sonys-ps4-vr-headset-impressive-valves-new-details-emerge/
    We’ve now received word from someone claiming to not only have tried Sony’s secretive virtual reality hardware but is actively developing software to utilise the device. Our source describes the HMD as having an FOV comparable to that of the Oculus Rift DK1 but with a much higher resolution. Further, the prototype our source had extensive time with, used two glowing orbs mounted atop the headset. Using a camera, assumed at this point to be the standard PS4 stereo camera that launched alongside the console late last year, the system tracks the user’s head in 3D space using the orbs to pinpoint position. Currently we have no information as to how head orientation is tracked, but it would make sense for Sony to include a solution similar to the Oculus Rift headtracker (IMU).

Perhaps more interestingly, though, is that our developer source claims also to have attended the recent Steam Dev Days event in Seattle and sampled Valve’s apparently impressive prototype VR headset. According to the source, the two HMDs compare very favourably. The general impression was that resolution was comparable between Sony’s and Valve’s unit (reported to use two 1080p panels) and that head tracking accuracy was very close.

And even if games aren't your thing, imagine sticking the headset on and being literally sat in a prime sear in the stadium for the big game, or front & center for a concert - while able to look all around you....

http://www.engadget.com/2014/02/04/digital-360-degree-concert-broadcast/?ncid=rss_truncated
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Computer in a backpack, Oculus Rift headset, Gun controller with positional tracking -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHscTRpz5WQ
    Forum Member
    Computer in a backpack, Oculus Rift headset, Gun controller with positional tracking -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHscTRpz5WQ

SO MUCH POTENTIAL!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So much jumping around, I hope they don't have any expensive furniture or ornaments at home.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Converting your garage into a padded cell will be a growth industry.
    Forum Member
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    boxx wrote: »

That just needs a couple of variable speed fans controlled via usb, pointed at you to give the impression of airflow as you pick up speed!
  • SpeedloaferSpeedloafer Posts: 2,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That just needs a couple of variable speed fans controlled via usb, pointed at you to give the impression of airflow as you pick up speed!

and nothing within arms reach. In case you break it.

So how will they do this with walking? Lets say im playing Battlefield with VR and I want to walk somewhere 300m away? How do I get there? Do I jog on the spot?

The heatset part is fine, but wont we all be still using controllers/keyboard and mouse? Putting your foot through the TV or the dog or the child who has walked into the room while you are trying to score a goal on FIFA may cause some problems, as would trying to do an overhead kick.

Also even if I did live in a field who is really going to want to walk or run for hours on end? I sit down watching TV/Films or gaming for a reason. Its comfortable and I want to relax. Having to tell the lads I cant play FIFA because I'm shattered after that last game or I think I pulled a hamstring may ruin the fun.
    Forum Member

Consistent 95hz in stereo at maybe 2160p. My wallet is crying.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    and nothing within arms reach. In case you break it.

So how will they do this with walking? Lets say im playing Battlefield with VR and I want to walk somewhere 300m away? How do I get there? Do I jog on the spot?

No reason you can't just control games the way you always have, but if you wanted to add a movement controller that made more it a bit more immersive, I'd add a pair of controllers placed on the floor, pressure sensitive with adjustable pivot in all directions - so they could be used for walk/run/strafe/jump accordingly - while standing or seated!
    The heatset part is fine, but wont we all be still using controllers/keyboard and mouse? Putting your foot through the TV or the dog or the child who has walked into the room while you are trying to score a goal on FIFA may cause some problems, as would trying to do an overhead kick.

Also even if I did live in a field who is really going to want to walk or run for hours on end? I sit down watching TV/Films or gaming for a reason. Its comfortable and I want to relax. Having to tell the lads I cant play FIFA because I'm shattered after that last game or I think I pulled a hamstring may ruin the fun.

No reason you'd have to exert yourself or stand - it just makes sense for the flying game above, and in that case you're rooted to the spot so no fear for the furnishings. Probably ideal if you stood against a familiar object like a chair, so you know you haven't shifted position as you get carried away...

On the other hand, if fifa is your thing, look at the zombie game being played wirelessly a few posts up - I can imagine the future equivalent of games like Laser tag being played in a warehouse, with safety padded walls - two teams with the gear on, full positional tracking, giving everyone the freedom to run around a virtual football stadium and play a match in the world cup (even against an opposing team in a similar setup in another country). Shoes with force feedback giving the impression of ball contact!
  • Martin BlankMartin Blank Posts: 1,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shut up and take my money already!

I remember the days of the PS2 and the Olympus Eye-Trek. Ok, nowhere near what Oculus is but I could lay on my couch for a weekend solid playing Socom with them on!