Well, Jlo`s back with a new single and she reveals an exciting new collaboration

gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
Forum Member
✭✭
not really,:yawn: she's teaming up with pitbull again on another redone produced single called `live it up`.:sleep: While i quite liked `dance again`, it was hardly a departure from `on the floor` and since the later release didn`t perform as well, i had assumed that would be the end of that particular dynamic.:o fingers crossed she will return with a fresher sound, but on paper it doesn't look too promising.:D

Comments

• FanFromHollandFanFromHolland Posts: 5,987
    Forum Member
    I don't think this song is to be judged right now as we haven't even heard it yet
  • tommYHYHtommYHYH Posts: 162
    Forum Member
    Although, I would like Jennifer to release a single on her own, I guess she's being smart as she knows that a song with Pitbull will be a smash.

She's also now left Island Def Jam and signed with Capitol Records.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,058
    Forum Member
    tommYHYH wrote: »
    Although, I would like Jennifer to release a single on her own, I guess she's being smart as she knows that a song with Pitbull will be a smash.

'Dance Again' was hardly a smash though. A moderate hit in some territories, definitely, but nowhere near 'OTF'. If the second re-hash of 'OTF' didn't set the charts alight, what is the third one supposed to achieve?

I'd like a solo single from her tbh. I think 'Papi' flopping has a lot to do with her decision to stick with features, but she needs to give it a shot or at least collaborate with someone less...predictable.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    It sounds to me like another dance track. I'm looking forward to hearing it but will yet another rehash of On The Floor be a hit?
  • JayPee86JayPee86 Posts: 3,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It sounds to me like another dance track. I'm looking forward to hearing it but will yet another rehash of On The Floor be a hit?

I very much doubt she will reach the heights of on the floor ever again.
    But her music has been pretty decent of late to me, I really liked dance again !
  • AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seriously, Pitbull again?! He sucks so hard though!
  • Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    Forget Pitbull, probably the worst thing about this song is that it's produced by RedOne. That guy never makes anything creative. Always the same.
  • StratusSphereStratusSphere Posts: 2,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love how everyone seems to have forgotten about her second attempt to recapture On The Floor, 'Goin In' http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5W7DVFKrcs which didnt make even as much of a splash as Dance Again IIRC
  • gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love how everyone seems to have forgotten about her second attempt to recapture On The Floor, 'Goin In' http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5W7DVFKrcs which didnt make even as much of a splash as Dance Again IIRC

i was just thinking mainly about the dynamic of jlo/pitbull/redone being wheeled out for a third outing.:yawn: `goin in` is in a similar vein, but at least she changed the producer and the guest rapper on that one.:D my favourite single she's done with redone is `papi`, the video was fun and she carried the song well enough on her own in my opinion. of course, being a redone track that was hardly a progression from `on the floor` either, but unfortunately it tanked both sides of the atlantic.:o

like somebody mentioned, we haven't heard the track yet and it could be the best thing she's ever recorded.:D all things considered though, she probably needs the guest features, but personally, i wish she should mix it up a bit more.
    Forum Member
    To be fair to J-Lo, if she wants to feature a rapper, who does she have to choose from? The only popular rappers that would rap on a RedOne beat are Pitbull, Flo Rida, LMFAO (who've split up now) and PSY (which would be difficult to do probably).

If she releases a rhythmic song, she'll have dozens of popular rappers to choose from, but when it's a dance tune, you're not going to be able to get Drake or Jay-Z or Kendrick Lamar to rap on it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eric_Blob wrote: »
    To be fair to J-Lo, if she wants to feature a rapper, who does she have to choose from? The only popular rappers that would rap on a RedOne beat are Pitbull, Flo Rida, LMFAO (who've split up now) and PSY (which would be difficult to do probably).

If she releases a rhythmic song, she'll have dozens of popular rappers to choose from, but when it's a dance tune, you're not going to be able to get Drake or Jay-Z or Kendrick Lamar to rap on it.

what about a female rapper like nicki minaj? or even feature another singer to switch it up a bit.
    Forum Member
    gpk wrote: »
    what about a female rapper like nicki minaj? or even feature another singer to switch it up a bit.

Nicki Minaj said she's going to quit dance music didn't she? If J-Lo releases something rhythmic/urban she could easily get Nicki on it I'm sure, but with a dance song her options are limited. Azealia Banks raps on dance beats though, so maybe her?

I remember back in 2008 when American Boy was popular, that was a dance-pop song, and I remember Kanye West saying in an interview that he was shocked when he was given the beat, since he didn't know how to rap on a dance beat at the time. So a lot of rappers might not know how to flow on a dance beat. I'd say even Nicki MInaj doesn't, she's done a lot of dance songs, but she sings most of them, and when she does rap on them it's just gibberish (although the same can be said for all of what Pitbull and Flo Rida rap tbh).

I agree featuring a singer could switch it up a bit though. Maybe Enrique Iglesias or someone, since he often works with RedOne too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nicki Minaj said she's going to quit dance music didn't she? If J-Lo releases something rhythmic/urban she could easily get Nicki on it I'm sure, but with a dance song her options are limited. Azealia Banks raps on dance beats though, so maybe her?

I remember back in 2008 when American Boy was popular, that was a dance-pop song, and I remember Kanye West saying in an interview that he was shocked when he was given the beat, since he didn't know how to rap on a dance beat at the time. So a lot of rappers might not know how to flow on a dance beat. I'd say even Nicki MInaj doesn't, she's done a lot of dance songs, but she sings most of them, and when she does rap on them it's just gibberish (although the same can be said for all of what Pitbull and Flo Rida rap tbh).

I agree featuring a singer could switch it up a bit though. Maybe Enrique Iglesias or someone, since he often works with RedOne too.

i am sure she could be persuaded somehow and her recent collaboration with justin b was hardly a dance departure.:o both kanye and snoop featured on katy perry singles and they aren't that far away from the dance pop jlo is delivering. its surprising what some rapper`s will do to feature with a certain artist.

enrique would be a good choice with the latin connection. there`s a lot of possibilities when people think outside of the box and this is why i find this latest development a bit lazy.:o
    Forum Member
    gpk wrote: »
    i am sure she could be persuaded somehow and her recent collaboration with justin b was hardly a dance departure.:o both kanye and snoop featured on katy perry singles and they aren't that far away from the dance pop jlo is delivering. its surprising what some rapper`s will do to feature with a certain artist.

enrique would be a good choice with the latin connection. there`s a lot of possibilities when people think outside of the box and this is why i find this latest development a bit lazy.:o

E.T. isn't a dance song. The instrumental is more hip hop (it infact got to #1 on the rhythmic airplay chart, making Katy one of the only white pop stars to manage it!).

You're right about Snoop Dogg though. He also did Sweat with David Guetta (although that was a remix tbf).

Beauty and a Beat came before Nicki decided to stop with the dance songs. I think Justin's album was released around summer 2012.

Other people that collabed with Katy, like Missy Elliott and B.o.B, they have the instrumental changed to a more hip hop beat for the parts where they rap (they also did this for Nicki's verse on Till the World Ends, Mac Miller's verse on Moves Like Jagger, etc.).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    E.T. isn't a dance song. The instrumental is more hip hop (it infact got to #1 on the rhythmic airplay chart, making Katy one of the only white pop stars to manage it!).

You're right about Snoop Dogg though. He also did Sweat with David Guetta (although that was a remix tbf).

Beauty and a Beat came before Nicki decided to stop with the dance songs. I think Justin's album was released around summer 2012.

Other people that collabed with Katy, like Missy Elliott and B.o.B, they have the instrumental changed to a more hip hop beat for the parts where they rap (they also did this for Nicki's verse on Till the World Ends, Mac Miller's verse on Moves Like Jagger, etc.).

its dance/electronic sounding to my ears and it also topped the billboard dance chart too.:o its certainly more dance sounding than the estelle track you mentioned previously. nicki may have quit dance, but like i said, maybe she could have been persuaded into another collab.

i really do actually think theres a lot of options that could have been considered, but who knows, this new track could be great.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She wouldnt feature Snoop, it would upset the demographic to have two 'older' artists collaborating on a dance song.

Missy Elliott might be a good bet or maybe even Eve? She's worked with Gwen Stefani and Kelly Rowland before.
    Forum Member
    This will be released the same week Mariahs new single comes out. It'll be interesting to see who comes out on top, since Jennifer and Mariah seem to dislike each other,

I wish the 2 singles she did with Enrique were released or even album tracks. 'Physical' and 'Mouth2Mouth' were very good.
  • LewnaticcLewnaticc Posts: 3,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You know, On the Floor didn't perform well because of J-Lo and Pitbull. It was because of the song--the sample it used. Anyone could have sung it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the fact JLO looked great in the video helped. Coming off the back of 'Stereo Love' and INNA though it was bound to be successful with that sample.
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You're right there. Dr. Luke originally produced the instrumental for Three 6 Mafia, a rap duo which Juicy J is a part of. Katy happened to hear it and wanted it. I wouldn't class it as a dance song either lmao. :o
  • mariannermarianner Posts: 11,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tommYHYH wrote: »

She's signed to epic records so she's back on sony.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    Forget Pitbull, probably the worst thing about this song is that it's produced by RedOne. That guy never makes anything creative. Always the same.

Cascada did collaborate with RedOne on this song and even though it sounds a little GaGa ish. It is something different

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsdXPPp8dNk
    Forum Member
    marianner wrote: »
    She's signed to epic records so she's back on sony.

Her contract ended with Epic after the Greatest Hits, it's been announced she has signed to RedOnes label.
  • digichantdigichant Posts: 3,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't think of anything less exciting than a new JLO and Pitbull song....
  • johnboybetterjohnboybetter Posts: 1,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am excited for this song, I loe love love Jlo, but having Pitubll on the song does nothing for me