Your Desert Island Doctor Who

2»

Comments

• Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    Here's an obscure one for you! "The Keys of Marinus" !
    A cheap B&W Hartnell story. But I just LOVE it! A six-part serial with five different stories interwound. I just love re-watching it on a rainy Sunday afternoon.:):):)
  • tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine would be The Caves of Androzani, athough The Brain of Morbius comes a close second! :D
  • AirboraeAirborae Posts: 2,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only one? It can only be The Day Of The Doctor. Nice to see a comprehensible script for once from Stephen Moffat and has fun and excitement in spades. I can only hope that Peter Capaldi's first season will be as good as this one.
  • CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tiggerpooh wrote: »
    Mine would be The Caves of Androzani, athough The Brain of Morbius comes a close second! :D
    The Horror Channel are showing both next weekend.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CELT1987 wrote: »
    The Horror Channel are showing both next weekend.

Have got both of these on DVD, but will probably put the Horror Channel on anyway during the "Who Marathon", next weekend.

Also, it's doubtful they will show the remastered DVD copies, just the originals. So with b&w DW, it will look speckly, grainy and jumpy at times. The sound will be poor with un-remastered b&w too.
  • doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,338
    Forum Member
    The stolen earth/Journeys end for me. an epic, which just has it all.
  • meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,109
    Forum Member
    Talons of Weng Chiang, it's 6 episodes so there's plenty to get your teeth into. Plus it's a good mix of humour and drama.
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    The Parting of the Ways.

My favourite Doctor, two companions, the Daleks, the Dalek Emperor, a regeneration, deaths, changes, story arcs, two time eras... An all round fantastic story and the only time I've ever been convinced that en masse Daleks can work.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Talons of Weng Chiang, it's 6 episodes so there's plenty to get your teeth into. Plus it's a good mix of humour and drama.

I sometimes find six part stories to be a bit long, plus I actually find Talons a bit boring. I DO like the scene where the giant rat attacks Leela! :D:D

I saw Talons last year, when I gradually went through every story that was out on DVD at that point. It was during the heatwave in July, one late evening. My Mother was trying to sleep upstairs, but she had to come downstairs cos it was too hot for her. She ended up watching the last part of the story with me. :)
  • Shane54Shane54 Posts: 520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm taking Seeds of Doom with me. Even though I know the resolution, the cliffhanger to part 3 is still the scariest bit in Who ever to me!
  • JethrykJethryk Posts: 1,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now you see on the real Deserts island Discs programme I think you can take 8 records and 8 records, a book and a luxury item.

So with that in mind my would be.

01) - The Time Meddler
    02) - The War Machines
    03) - The Moonbase
    04) - The Three Doctors
    05) - The Time Warrior
    06) - Robot
    07) - The Stones of Blood
    08) - City of Death

Not necessarily my favourite stories but the ones I find oddly comforting.

My book would be Peter Haining's A Celebration
    My luxury Item would be K9 but he probably wouldn't be too good on a desert island.

Incidentally William Hartnell chose cigarettes as his luxury item when he was on the programme proper.

Going back to the OP if I could chose only one of them, today I think it would be City of Death.
  • daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's onlyone story I'd want if I was on a Desert island and that's Planet Of Fire, seeing Peri in a bikini and wishing she was my Ursula Andress character from Dr No and be the only other female on the island. ;-)

:)
  • CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tiggerpooh wrote: »
    I sometimes find six part stories to be a bit long, plus I actually find Talons a bit boring. I DO like the scene where the giant rat attacks Leela! :D:D

I also find Talons too long; would have been better in four parts. :)
  • comedyfishcomedyfish Posts: 21,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CUT TO:

EXT - Desert Island

Everyone on DS: Hang on... how do I play this thing!

:D
    Jethryk wrote: »
    My luxury Item would be K9 but he probably wouldn't be too good on a desert island.

no, he doesn't have the reputation on beaches!
  • doublefourdoublefour Posts: 6,022
    Forum Member
    I would have to take The Robots of Death, love everything about this well written and acted story aboard the Sandminer.
    I would have Leela for my luxury item, as she would have her knife with her which can be handy for survival on a desert island. ;)
  • Lady of TrakenLady of Traken Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    doublefour wrote: »
    I would have to take The Robots of Death, love everything about this well written and acted story aboard the Sandminer.
    I would have Leela for my luxury item, as she would have her knife with her which can be handy for survival on a desert island. ;)

Good choice of story ! .........( puts glasses on and refers back to OP......)
    Leela would definitely be perfect on a desert island. Talking of her knife I am reminded of the one dud point in Robots where she throws her knife at one of the Robots and there is a 'boiinnnnng' sound as it bounces off but otherwise darned perfect.