Walking boots or trainers

muddipawsmuddipaws Posts: 3,300
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm doing a charity walk next June for Crohns and Colitis UK. It's a 32.7 walk and I have been training for the last month. The walk is all roads and paths, and I've been using my cheapie walking boots. All is ok, except my shins are quite sore and my feet can be a little sore too. I'm averaging 15 miles a week and need to achieve an average of 4mph and it's tough (that's over 4 days)

I think my boots are not helping, but at the moment it's all I have

Can you recommend footwear I should consider, that will help with the soreness and possibly the sore shins? I have a limited budget. If all goes well the following year I will up the anti to the 24hr 87 mile walk

Thank you

Comments

• MustabusterMustabuster Posts: 5,975
    Forum Member
    The ache in your feet are due to all the flexing your foot does while walking so you want something that's quite stiff and well fitting for your feet. I'd have a look at some Merrells or Saloman rugged walking shoes in some of the outdoor shops like Millets or Mountain Warehouse. I don't know about your shins but I suspect it's due to lack of cushioning in your current footwear.
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The ache in your feet are due to all the flexing your foot does while walking so you want something that's quite stiff and well fitting for your feet. I'd have a look at some Merrells or Saloman rugged walking shoes in some of the outdoor shops like Millets or Mountain Warehouse. I don't know about your shins but I suspect it's due to lack of cushioning in your current footwear.

Stiffer shoes will make shin pain worse

http://www.thewalkingsite.com/shins.html
  • TUTV ViewerTUTV Viewer Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member

Saloman walking trainers are the best, particularly their Gore-tex models.

The inital price definitely isn't cheap, expect to pay around £90-£100 - the last pair I had lasted around 4 years though. My brother had an identical pair that lasted the same length of time.

I immediately replaced them with the current model.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    Over that sort of distance even on even terrain I think it would be folly not to use something with good ankle support so no to trainers.
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    Over that sort of distance even on even terrain I think it would be folly not to use something with good ankle support so no to trainers.

It depends upon the individual. Many of us would think nothing of running that distance and we certainly wouldn't want ankle support.

I think the OP should get advice specific to their self from a walking/running shop. Better to get suitable but cheaper shoes/trainers/boots than spend the same amount on something "better" that isn't suitable.

For most people given the terrain of roads and pavements I think trainers would be best but as I said it does depend upon the individual.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    An experienced fit runner is one thing. The OP will be tired, apt to distraction and lose concentration so that even a small pebble trod on at the wrong angle could turn their ankle. As they will not be running they have no need of the extra freedom a running shoe or trainer gives.
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    An experienced fit runner is one thing. The OP will be tired, apt to distraction and lose concentration so that even a small pebble trod on at the wrong angle could turn their ankle. As they will not be running they have no need of the extra freedom a running shoe or trainer gives.

Yes but the walk is next June and the OP is already training so may well be pretty walking fit by then. It may be that boots would be better but it definitely depends on the individual.
  • muddipawsmuddipaws Posts: 3,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi

This is great stuff thanks

To be fair I was particularly fit before I was diagnosed with Crohns on New Years Day 2013 in. A&E. Following a life saving operation I have been utterly unfit and lethargic for best part of 12 months. Only in last few months I've felt something like and want to give back to the people that basically saved my life. I'm doing 3/4 days a week doing a 2 mile or 3 mile walk during the week then a six mile walk on a Saturday with Sunday off. All on the local roads and pathways

It's a big ask I know to get myself to 32.7 miles and really want to do it in less than 10hrs at this rate though I am struggling. But I'm not one for giving up :)
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,463
    Forum Member
    Don't know if it's an option for you or not?, but try and avoid roads and hard surfaces if and when you can - it's far harder on the feet walking on hard surfaces than on grass or soil.

I've got both Mountain Warehouse walking boots and walking trainers, they seem equally good, but (as others have suggested) boots give you more ankle support - important on rough terrain.

As long as you get 'soft' boots (rather than leather), and the correct size, they seem to require almost no 'running in'.

I'm certainly not fit, but during a week up Durham way probably walked 60 miles in a week - including some decent hills.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The walk is actually all on roads and paths so thought it wise to train on the very same surface? Am I wrong?
  • Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    For long walks, boots are better because of the ankle support.

Your main problems are just your feet being too 'soft' to do long walks, and that only changes over time by doing lots of regular walking. The pain in your feet will go as your feet toughen up and the skin on the soles gets thicker, and your joints get used to it.

The pain in your shins can't be helped by boots or trainers. It's simply oxygen starvation caused by your muscles drawing more energy than can be supplied. Again, with regular walking this will also go because your blood vessels will open up to allow more blood through your feet, and your muscles will also start to burn a little less oxygen as they firm-up.

As someone who walks a lot, I'm happy with ordinary boots, not fancy sports boots, trainers or walking shoes. What's important is that you wear walking socks though. They have a nylon lining that wraps tightly around your feet, which prevents blisters. Over that is a thick padded layer of 'normal' boot sock that cushions you.

Additionally, you can use gel insoles, if you use shoes/boots with hard insoles. Don't use them with trainers though. Proper ones are quite thick, so by the time you put them in the boot and wear walking socks, you'll need to buy boots a size or two larger than normal. You'll also need to very carefully trim them to fit the boot perfectly. You don't want any gaps around the edges but you don't want any surplus gel to wrap up around the edge of the inside of the boot otherwise it'll cause pressure points which could lead to blisters or sore spots.
    muddipaws wrote: »
    The walk is actually all on roads and paths so thought it wise to train on the very same surface? Am I wrong?
    You're doing the right thing, it's just a matter of getting your feet toughened up. Only regular long walks can do that. And you don't need to go on dedicated walks. Just walk a few miles to a supermarket and back, carrying your shopping in a back pack. With properly padded boots and socks, it will actually feel very nice to walk along pavements and other hard flat surfaces.

Like any exercise, it'll be painful and draining at first, but then you get used to it. The question is whether you keep it up afterwards or stop walking. Walking will develop all your muscles from the waste down and burn a few calories.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been using Map my Walk for routes and timings, also a pedometer to see how many steps I've done. THANK YOU EVERYONE
  • Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi

This is great stuff thanks

To be fair I was particularly fit before I was diagnosed with Crohns on New Years Day 2013 in. A&E. Following a life saving operation I have been utterly unfit and lethargic for best part of 12 months. Only in last few months I've felt something like and want to give back to the people that basically saved my life. I'm doing 3/4 days a week doing a 2 mile or 3 mile walk during the week then a six mile walk on a Saturday with Sunday off. All on the local roads and pathways

It's a big ask I know to get myself to 32.7 miles and really want to do it in less than 10hrs at this rate though I am struggling. But I'm not one for giving up :)

Good for you.
  • Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    I've been using Map my Walk for routes and timings, also a pedometer to see how many steps I've done. THANK YOU EVERYONE

How many steps per day have you been doing? Steps are a better measurement, at least at the beginning, because we all have different sized legs. A four-mile walk may be more relative exercise for a 5' 2" person than someone 6' 4", who takes fewer steps!
  • MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Regarding Crohn's I hope you've read this book:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Breaking-Vicious-Cycle-Intestinal-Through/dp/0969276818/
    I recommend it strongly.
  • tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ive got these

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Karrimor-Weathertite-Trekking-K604-DGC-149-Cochineal/dp/B00B2GILC0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1417358600&sr=8-2&keywords=walking+boots+women

and for the price they're remarkable. However I dont do anywhere near the walking you would be doing so I dont know if these would be strong enough.

I also have a pair of very old timberland women's boots, they're about 10 years old now at least which are very comfortable but difficult to get on as I find the tongue doesnt go far enough down for me, the nearest I can find are these

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Timberland-10360-Womens-Nubuck-Leather/dp/B00PRDIA9I/ref=sr_1_109?s=shoes&ie=UTF8&qid=1417359183&sr=1-109&keywords=timberland+boot

although mine have embossed leather in a lace pattern and a fabric cuff around the ankle rather than that shiny material.
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some years back I did the Welsh Three Peaks.
    That's Snowdon, Cader Idris and Pen y Fan.

Do you know what my best investment was for the day?
    Three pairs of bloody good walking SOCKS from an outdoor shop!
    When I came down off each mountain it was lovely to give my feet and boots an airing and slip on fresh, well cushioned socks.
    I even had L&R padded socks. :D

Edit: I wore reasonable priced ankle walking boots.
    Forum Member

No, if the walk you'll be doing is on roads, you need to train for that.

Personally I find it a LOT harder on roads than soft surfaces.
    Forum Member

I use a Garmin walking GP, with free maps from TalkyToaster - along with Garmin Basecamp on the PC it allows you to measure and record everything (and stops you getting lost!).

If you have the urge, the better Garmins allow you to connect and record a pedometer as well, and also a heart rate monitor.
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Get your self a pair of Merrill or Karimore all terrain walking trainers. Not cheap, but well worth the money. I stopped buying ordinary shoes & trainers years ago and stick to Merrills - I even buy their slip on shoes which I wear most of the time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I definitely wouldn't get boots as you don't need ankle support and protection from stones and boggy area's.

Comfortable trainers are all you need.
  • smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't buy footwear on someone else's advice as each boot or walking shoe has a slightly different shape (especially the heel cup) and will fit your foot differently, so go to places and try them on. One bit of advice though is to get some cushioned insoles to take the jarring out of walking on hard surfaces.
  • TUTV ViewerTUTV Viewer Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't buy footwear on someone else's advice as each boot or walking shoe has a slightly different shape (especially the heel cup) and will fit your foot differently, so go to places and try them on. One bit of advice though is to get some cushioned insoles to take the jarring out of walking on hard surfaces.

So you tell someone not to take advice, but then tell them to get cushioned insoles which may not be any good for their foot shape...

Not ideal for someone like me who has a high-instep. I can't even get my feet into many pairs of boots without removing the laces completely.
  • smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    So you tell someone not to take advice, but then tell them to get cushioned insoles which may not be any good for their foot shape...

Not ideal for someone like me who has a high-instep. I can't even get my feet into many pairs of boots without removing the laces completely.
    Exactly why I suggest trying them on in decent outdoor shops instead of taking advice about brands from strangers on the internet.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a big fan of Merrell walking shoes. They are a bit more expensive than other brands but are very comfortable and last a long time.

Have a look at this recent thread:http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2000233