Feeling trapped

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,811
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Title says it all really.

Feeling like I am wasting my life at the moment. I hate my job, I'm in my mid-twenties and still living at home, have one member of family and have never had a serious relationship.

I just feel like I'm stuck in a rut with no escape and I genuinely don't know how to move forward with my life. I have pretty bad anxiety which can make me appear standoffish and aloof, affecting my friendships and life at work. I have fleeting feelings of if I disappeared tomorrow who would really give a shit? I don't want to say 'suicidal', but I'd be lying if I said I hadn't thought of hurting myself.

I don't know what to do or how to move on. I know I should probably see a GP, but I have trouble making sense of my thoughts let alone communicating them to someone else.

Anyone else felt like this? Cheers.

Comments

• GormagonGormagon Posts: 1,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Feeling down? It will pass.

Give it a few days, we all get like that, we all feel low from time to time. If you dont feel better after a week, give these guys a call : mind.org.uk

They are good people and can give you much better advice than you will find here.
  • tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It sounds like more than just feeling down to me and if you explain what you have written on here to the GP then it will be clear you need some treatment.

Whether that treatment is CBT or other therapy, or medication is up to you, but once you are feeling better and more motivated, then you will be able to take steps to change the things that dissatisfy you.

Make sure you're honest about your feelings, because some anti depressants (if you take them) can give people the motivation to self harm as they start to recover.
  • boniverboniver Posts: 863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't say I'm in exactly the same situation as you but I do often feel dissatisfied with my life and I also suffer from anxiety.

I went through a particularly bad patch last year and ended up going to the doctors and got referred for CBT for the anxiety. I think it helped a bit and would suggest giving it a go.

Perhaps try focusing on changing one aspect of your life at a time. Maybe start looking for a new job or try to make an effort to appear friendly and smile more around people to try and develop new friendships.

Things will get better, it just doesn't seem that way when you're down.
  • Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    Talk to your doctor about the anxiety. Life can be better for you. Some talking therapy could help. I hope you're ok.
  • Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do find that this time of year exacerbates any low moods. The forced jollity of Christmas when for a lot of people it is not this family orientated festival of joy, and the dark nights and chilly weather. I usually feel low at this time of year but come 27 Dec a lot of it has passed.

Could you take one thing (getting a new job for instance) and concentrate on changing that rather than seeing your whole life and being as being of no worth. And then move onto the next thing. Or find a hobby or gain a skill that you throw yourself into wholeheartedly so that you get real expertise and a sense of achievement. If you feel in a rut or trapped it is often one thing that lifts you out of it and gives you confidence that life is not so bad, and you do have a purpose.

If it becomes a long running problem do seek professional help. Good luck.
  • Jay BigzJay Bigz Posts: 5,338
    Forum Member
    In these cases, you need to write a list of all the things you want/need to feel happy by your standards - then you need to work at achieving every goal on the list. Life becomes way more exciting when you have personal goals and achievements. Every time you achieve one of your goals, your confidence builds a bit higher, and the more positive and confident you become, the more you seem to achieve.