Options

Metallica - Hardwired

ShotDownInFlameShotDownInFlame Posts: 5,681
Forum Member
Thrash Metal icons Metallica have just unveiled the track listing, album cover AND first single of their new album "Hardwired...To Self Destruct".

Their first album in 8 years has a grand total of over 2 hours of brand speaking new Metallica material to pick from, with 3 CD's to cover it all.

You can listen to the first track off the first CD, "Hardwired" right here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhBHL3v4d3I

And an early demo version of the first track off the 3rd CD, "Lords of Summer" right here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyTA2Maj6Ug

Here's the track listing:

Disc One

1. Hardwired
2. Atlas, Rise!
3. Now That We’re Dead
4. Moth Into Flame
5. Am I Savage?
6. Halo On Fire

Disc Two

1. Confusion
2. Dream No More
3. ManUNkind
4. Here Comes Revenge
5. Murder One
6. Spit Out The Bone

Disc Three

1. Lords Of Summer
2. Riff Charge (Riff Origins)
3. N.W.O.B.H.M. A.T.M. (Riff Origins)
4. Tin Shot (Riff Origins)
5. Plow (Riff Origins)
6. Sawblade (Riff Origins)
7. RIP (Riff Origins)
8. Lima (Riff Origins)
9. 91 (Riff Origins)
10. MTO (Riff Origins)
11. RL72 (Riff Origins)
12. Frankenstein (Riff Origins)
13. CHI (Riff Origins)
14. X Dust (Riff Origins)

Metallica has also revealed that they will be announcing tour dates very, very shortly, so expect dates around the UK, Europe and USA.

Comments

• Options
    ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Took a couple of listens but I think Hardwired is a great song.

More Kill Em All than Master of Puppets as it's straight up thrash with little complexity, but I expect the full album will be a real mix EG. Lords of Summer is very different to Hardwired.

Great to see them releasing new music anyway, it has been a very long 8 years!
  • Options
    simonnsimonn Posts: 536
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great to hear a well produced Metallica song again at last! Pretty good tune - the main riff in the breakdown is basically Metal Militia though. Have they done a Newsted to Rob - can't hear any distinctive bass in there at all, just following the guitars all the time....

Tour to follow very soon too, great stuff, been too long since I saw them - 2009!
  • Options
    ShotDownInFlameShotDownInFlame Posts: 5,681
    Forum Member
    simonn wrote: »
    Great to hear a well produced Metallica song again at last! Pretty good tune - the main riff in the breakdown is basically Metal Militia though. Have they done a Newsted to Rob - can't hear any distinctive bass in there at all, just following the guitars all the time....

Tour to follow very soon too, great stuff, been too long since I saw them - 2009!

There's a bit of a punchy bass there before and after the solo, but on the whole it's a bit understated, though I suppose that's how bass generally is.

First time I saw Metallica was when they headlined Sonishpere Festival in 2014, haven't seen them since, but I'd love to see them at their own gigs, festivals are cool and all, but the atmosphere is always better at the band's own shows.

That said, can't beat that Sonisphere Festival setlist, opened with "Battery" straight into "Master of Puppets", had all the big hits, as well as mildly deeper cuts like "Ride The Lightning" and then closed out with a triple threat of "Whiskey In The Jar", "...And Justice For All" and "Seek and Destroy", was one of the best live shows I've ever seen from a major band, the energy was just fantastic.
  • Options
    ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've seen them twice - Dublin 2008 and Belfast 2010. They just get better and better, their live shows are incredible.
  • Options
    deadmancarldeadmancarl Posts: 2,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hardwired sounds good. Its nice to finally see the new album and it feels longer than 8 years since Death Magnetic came out.

Hoping for a stadium/arena tour rather than festival.