Using VM socket for Smart TV.

RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,159
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've been told that Smart TV's work better with a wired connection, rather than wifi. The VM feed in my living room is right behind the TV. I believe that one socket is for TV/phone and the other for broadband- is that right? If so, is it possible to plug the internet part of the TV into the broadband socket?

(The broadband used for my computers comes in via a separate outlet in my office on the top floor and is distributed via wifi.)

Comments

• Ernie_CErnie_C Posts: 2,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is no such thing as a broadband socket. All Virgin Media outlets are the same.

If you plug a STB into a socket, it becomes a TV outlet. If you plug a modem in, it becomes a broadband outlet.

You cannot plug your smart TV into a cable outlet and expect it's function to work. Your smart TV does not have a cable broadband modem function or any other sort of modem function.
  • porkpieporkpie Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You could plug an ethernet cable into the tv from the router but if the tv is that close to the router then the dongle will work fine.

No reason why wired should work better unless there is a long distance between router and dongle.
    Ideally in the same room
  • RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for your replies.

@ Ernie, the white sockets that I have both have two outlets. I thought one was for BB and the other for TV/Phone :confused: I never thought about needing a modem, perhaps I could get a free superhub for this? Other threads say they are rubbish, but it might do for what I want it to do??

@ Porkpie, the router and modem are on the top floor in the office. I get about 50% signal strength on the ground floor, which is ok for the netbook that I use down there, but other threads have said that Smart TV's aren't very good, especially if done via wifi. I won't be the TV buying it for this, it just happens to have it!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 399
    Forum Member
    Thanks for your replies.

@ Ernie, the white sockets that I have both have two outlets. I thought one was for BB and the other for TV/Phone :confused:

That's right, but what Ernie is saying, is that it's not a typical ethernet connection, it's a coaxial connection that needs to be plugged in to a cable modem before you can run it in to your TV. Your best bet is to purchase a set of homeplugs, put one in a socket near your modem/router and run a short ethernet cable between the two, put the other homeplug in a socket behind your TV and connect the TV to that plug with another short ethernet cable. You are now using your house's electrical wiring as a wired data connection.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Solwise-85Mbps-Homeplug-Adapter-Twin/dp/B002XL6IUU/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1335591750&sr=8-4
  • RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, I never knew that was possible! Thanks :)
  • technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Timotei75 wrote: »
    You are now using your house's electrical wiring as a wired data connection.
    And radiating wide band EM noise.......
    Smart TV work a lot better with a cabled Ethernet .. so why not move to VM cable modem?
  • gem123gem123 Posts: 55
    Forum Member
    Wow, I never knew that was possible! Thanks :)

Hi rich, Home plugs will work fine, I have some on my samsung tv with no probs also networks fine with my other computers on system.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 399
    Forum Member
    And radiating wide band EM noise.......
    Smart TV work a lot better with a cabled Ethernet .. so why not move to VM cable modem?

I've never come across a problem myself, neither have friends who use them. Just read the reviews on the link I posted to see the level of customer satisfaction. I have no idea what wide band electro-magnetic noise is, but it doesn't appear to bother anyone.