Ripper Street

Comments

• allafixallafix Posts: 20,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw a trailer for this on Good Morning Britain today. Possibly the worst case of computerised "wobble cam" I've ever seen. Looked like a slow motion earthquake was in progress. Is Ripper Street always like this?
  • Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could it possibly be more blatant with this nod at current affairs with this presentation of 'Muslims in Britain and a disgruntled home-grown working class'?

I noticed they spelled it Moslem not Muslim. What's the difference?
  • alan29alan29 Posts: 34,636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More whispered lines.
    I don't know a single person who always talks in a whisper.
    Aren't actors trained to use their full voice like normal people?

NB Moslem is the old-fashioned way of saying/spelling Muslim.
  • harrypalmerharrypalmer Posts: 1,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the 19th century the term 'musselman' was still the common word used for Muslim.
  • Chiltons CaneChiltons Cane Posts: 23,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fizzbin is right, you could possibly skip Series 2 plot-wise but you'd miss out on some of the best performances that these actors have given so far.
    I'm thinking especially of Jerome Flynn (Bennet Drake) and wouldn't be surprised that the viewers' outrage aimed at the BBC for trying to ditch Ripper was mostly down to his monumental performance in Series 2.

You'd also miss the fab Damien Molony as Albert Flight :blush:
  • JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the 19th century the term 'musselman' was still the common word used for Muslim.
    In French, the word musulman is the present-day word for muslim (and with various spellings in many other languages too).
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    According to some (many?) Islamic scholars the difference is described as follows:-
    A Muslim in Arabic means"one who gives himself to God," and is by definition, someone who adheres to Islam. By contrast, a Moslem in Arabic means"one who is evil and unjust" when the word is pronounced, as it is in English, Mozlem with a z. - See more at: http://historynewsnetwork.org/article/524#sthash.nywP7TAd.dpuf
  • Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I heard them say at the beginning that it contained "scenes of a sexual nature" but I never saw any. Can't have been very long as I only nipped in the kitchen for some beer :D
  • SepangBlueSepangBlue Posts: 4,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I heard them say at the beginning that it contained "scenes of a sexual nature" but I never saw any. Can't have been very long as I only nipped in the kitchen for some beer :D

You obviously missed the scene where Mathilda and her school friend were peeping through a brothel window, watching a punter giving one of the 'ladies' some oral satisfaction!
    Yesterday was the first time I saw the trailer for it.
    The BBC are not promoting it at all.
    So glad it's back...can't wait.

Actually the BBC were promoting it quite hard, otherwise how would I have known it was coming back?
    I haven't got round to watching Series 2 onwards, all still sitting on the hard drive.
    As it looks like there isn't much on, on Mondays, is it sensible to watch Series Four if you've only seen Series One.
    Have the characters moved on too much?

I would think it essential to watch ALL the seasons in order to get a real feel as to what makes the lead players tick. However, if you're pushed for time, I strongly recommend you see Series 3, otherwise you won't understand what's going on now. I've been watching them all so far and even I was struggling to remember how some of the characters came to be where they are.
    alan29 wrote: »
    More whispered lines.
    I don't know a single person who always talks in a whisper.
    Aren't actors trained to use their full voice like normal people?

NB Moslem is the old-fashioned way of saying/spelling Muslim.

I agree, some of the lines were slightly lost, but I soldiered on without the subtitles, in the hope that it would improve .. which for the most part it did.

A BBC editor has spoken on the subject in the past, maintaining that they watch edited programmes on a domestic TV in a domestic setting, before finally deciding whether the sound mix is acceptable. I know this is sometimes hard to believe! These days I have my TV sound set up at nearly maximum treble and about a quarter bass, which seems to help quite a lot.
  • myssmyss Posts: 16,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SepangBlue wrote: »
    I agree, some of the lines were slightly lost, but I soldiered on without the subtitles, in the hope that it would improve .. which for the most part it did.

A BBC editor has spoken on the subject in the past, maintaining that they watch edited programmes on a domestic TV in a domestic setting, before finally deciding whether the sound mix is acceptable. I know this is sometimes hard to believe! These days I have my TV sound set up at nearly maximum treble and about a quarter bass, which seems to help quite a lot.

It was only with some dialogue from Captain Jackson that I felt were slightly inaudible. I could hear the rest of it quite fine (with the volume turned up just a little more than usual).

I loved the first episode of the series. I thought the subject matter being a little near knuclke, but hey ho let's see where it goes. I was so delighted when I saw Reid dusting off his bowler hat!! Following Matilda's comments, I can see then heading back to London pretty soon. Roll on next episode. ;-)
  • iamianiamian Posts: 1,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Mohammedanism was by far the most widely-used term for the faith of Islam at that time.
  • Gill PGill P Posts: 21,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fizzbin wrote: »
    This is true.

Also, there's speculation that the main baddie from S02 will be back for S05.

Plus the Elephant Man is in series 2!

I always wondered why they never, ever, mention Albert Flight in subsequent series. After all his story was quite gripping and we never saw the resolution. The inspector baddie I could do without!
  • HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 5,941
    Forum Member
    Who was hanged in the end?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HHGTTG wrote: »
    Who was hanged in the end?

We don't yet know. Next week should reveal all.
  • wolfpawwolfpaw Posts: 10,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could it possibly be more blatant with this nod at current affairs with this presentation of 'Muslims in Britain and a disgruntled home-grown working class'?

I found its preachiness nauseating. Typical BBC. They did it with Musketeers too. I turned it off and have no intention of watching any more.
  • Gill PGill P Posts: 21,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the programme was showing that nothing's new under the sun. I will be watching.
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wolfpaw wrote: »
    I found its preachiness nauseating. Typical BBC. They did it with Musketeers too. I turned it off and have no intention of watching any more.

I didn't notice any preachiness. :confused:
    Gill P wrote: »
    I think the programme was showing that nothing's new under the sun. I will be watching.

Yes, that's what I thought, too.

Brilliant programme, and the beginning of a gripping story, imo.
  • MR. MacavityMR. Macavity Posts: 3,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    myss wrote: »
    It was only with some dialogue from Captain Jackson that I felt were slightly inaudible. I could hear the rest of it quite fine (with the volume turned up just a little more than usual).

I loved the first episode of the series. I thought the subject matter being a little near knuclke, but hey ho let's see where it goes. I was so delighted when I saw Reid dusting off his bowler hat!! Following Matilda's comments, I can see then heading back to London pretty soon. Roll on next episode. ;-)

Four series in and I haven't understood a single word he's ever said! But Reid is no problem with MM's perfect enunciation.

I'm convinced there must be actor school somewhere where blokes are trained to mumble words inaudibly from the back of their throat in a way that nobody does in real life!

wolfpaw wrote: »

Not commissioned by the BBC anymore. I didn't find it preachy, though admittedly the religious overtones may grate a little by the end of the series depending on how it pans out.

Good to have it back!
    Forum Member
    Four series in and I haven't understood a single word he's ever said! But Reid is no problem with MM's perfect enunciation.

I'm convinced there must be actor school somewhere where blokes are trained to mumble words inaudibly from the back of their throat in a way that nobody does in real life!

Not commissioned by the BBC anymore. I didn't find it preachy, though admittedly the religious overtones may grate a little by the end of the series depending on how it pans out.

Good to have it back!

Anything with Religious overtones grate with me thereby ruling out a lot in the media.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anything with Religious overtones grate with me thereby ruling out a lot in the media.

So you can't watch any historical programme then, or read any historical novels, or any films which have a good v evil component, or anything with a Norse god in it or any of the characters have any belief system.

Visiting art galleries and museums must be out of the question. Cathedrals I won't even mention.

What a limited range of possibilities you have.
    Forum Member
    So you can't watch any historical programme then, or read any historical novels, or any films which have a good v evil component, or anything with a Norse god in it or any of the characters have any belief system.

Visiting art galleries and museums must be out of the question. Cathedrals I won't even mention.

What a limited range of possibilities you have.

No my comments were directed at discussions really rather than the odd religious connections in plays but to me religion is and has been and always will be the source of problems in this world and I'm an atheist anyway.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No my comments were directed at discussions really rather than the odd religious connections in plays but to me religion is and has been and always will be the source of problems in this world and I'm an atheist anyway.

I think crime is a source of many problems, but oddly enough I quite like watching programmes or reading about it. :D
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    Blame Brando! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, that's the end of the first two-parter in the new series. Very enjoyable but I must confess to not really knowing what was going on a lot of the time!

The whole thing with Reid and Isaac Bloom was baffling, probably because I couldn't recall how it went at the end of series 3.

Then there was the whole thing with the Indian major Al Qadir and his son, who was taken by special branch, beaten up and handed back to Drake. What and why?

And finally, there was Abel Croker (fantastic performance as ever from David Threlfall) who seemed to be the one to mete out rough justice to one of the dockside workers who, if I understood correctly, had been embezzling funds intended for the poor out of work people.

Never mind though, at least Long Susan was saved, although I've a hunch we won't actually be seeing her again!
  • Chiltons CaneChiltons Cane Posts: 23,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have not really enjoyed this 2 parter i had no idea what was going on most of the time aned found it boring, aside from the performances of our 3 leads.
    I wanted Susan to actually hang, she killed 53 people, and shot Reid in the head! She isn't a hero, and i'm not sure why she is portrayed as such.