Options

Sky TV prices will rise on 1st June

Comments

• Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johnson293 wrote: »
    Yeah, that was also part of my motivation to switch now, and I went through Quidco... though it hasn't tracked yet.

Nice - fingers crossed for you then as that's a great amount.
  • Options
    sparrysparry Posts: 2,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    albundy73 wrote: »
    If you downgrade from family to original can you access HD catch up services on your subscription channels eg could I download modern family in HD even though I cannot access Sky One HD?

No you can't.
  • Options
    paul_jtpaul_jt Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    Thanks sparry. Were you a legacy customer with Family?

To expand, my bill is changing from one item (Variety with Sports HD) to two (Sky+HD Pack) and (Variety with Sports).

It would be helpful if Sky had a list of channels available to legacy customers, as they do for new customers. The only information I can find is: http://discoversky.sky.com/hdvalue/
  • Options
    sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sparry wrote: »
    You would still have the entertainment channels, just not in HD.

I recently downgraded to Original (the price of which doesn't seem to be rising) from Family and I was pleasantly surprised with what was still available even though its not in HD

Not strictly true, as you downgraded from Family (which included HD channels) to the Original (which does not), paul_jt is on the Variety pack, which does not include HD channels.
    paul_jt wrote: »
    As a legacy customer (Variety with Sports HD), would I lose non-free-to-air HD channels (e.g. Sky Atlantic HD) if I downgraded from Variety to Original? Thanks in advance.

The HD pack entitles you to HD variants of any channels in your current pack, plus the F1 channel and boxsets (assuming you mean downgrading from Variety to Original, but keeping the HD pack).

So you would need to see what channels are on the Original Pack, and which ones have a HD variant (Atlantic IS in this bundle).

http://www.sky.com/products/sky-tv/original-bundle/
  • Options
    kaskas Posts: 440
    Forum Member
    Hi,

Thinking of downgrading to just keep the 'Original' bundle (minimum).
    Currently £21-50 per month, anyone know what the increase will be on this?

Currently have everything but just cant justify it anymore, so will also be losing Sports and Movies.
  • Options
    onephatonephat Posts: 898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kas wrote: »
    Hi,

Currently have everything but just cant justify it anymore, so will also be losing Sports and Movies.

There is no increase on the Original package.
  • Options
    Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi,

I downgraded to The Original bundle only (£21.50 per month). Had the old Variety pack, Movies, plus HD (£54.75 per month). I had been thinking of downgrading for a while but this kind of pushed me. So Sky are losing out on £33.25 per month now. I never got offered any discounts or incentives by the advisor. Guess they used all their offers up in the last few days :D

I am considering setting up Now TV for the film channels. Its £9.99 per month and you can usually get a month or 2 for free anyway. The film channels are £17 per month so quite a saving!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I will probably see out this Premiership season which ends around 24th May, so by my reckoning if i cancel around 22nd or 23rd of April this will give them the 30 (or is it 31) day notice period. I now work 2 out of 3 weekends so find I am watching less games than ever before, and movies even less so its the right move for me.

'Everything Goes' -I am surprised you were not made any retention offers, whenever I have attempted to make any downgrades I have been offered something. By losing Sports I will have to start paying £7-50 for broadband. If I get offered any discount all well and good, but will weigh things up and see what the savings are against downgrading. Even with downgrading I will still be paying £21-50 for original bundle, £7-50 Unlimited broadband, Sky Go Extra (which my daughter pays for as she uses it for her commute etc), and around £20 Line rental and calls package. A grand total in the region of £54.
    I suppose that's acceptable for basic Sky TV (+4 Sky Go devices), excellent unlimited broadband, phone line and unlimited calls.

Anyway rant over, anyone see where I can make further savings ?
  • Options
    Sky_GuySky_Guy Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    i am personally quite annoyed at how the prices are rising again. I have watched sky go from a decent streamlined provider in in the early 2000's to become a bloating pig, greedy wanting to get its hands on everything.

i don't dispute sky still offers a good entertainment package, but i am really thinking of going or at least ditching it all apart from normal sky without hd or any extra non standard channels.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I will probably see out this Premiership season which ends around 24th May, so by my reckoning if i cancel around 22nd or 23rd of April this will give them the 30 (or is it 31) day notice period. I now work 2 out of 3 weekends so find I am watching less games than ever before, and movies even less so its the right move for me.

'Everything Goes' -I am surprised you were not made any retention offers, whenever I have attempted to make any downgrades I have been offered something. By losing Sports I will have to start paying £7-50 for broadband. If I get offered any discount all well and good, but will weigh things up and see what the savings are against downgrading. Even with downgrading I will still be paying £21-50 for original bundle, £7-50 Unlimited broadband, Sky Go Extra (which my daughter pays for as she uses it for her commute etc), and around £20 Line rental and calls package. A grand total in the region of £54.
    I suppose that's acceptable for basic Sky TV (+4 Sky Go devices), excellent unlimited broadband, phone line and unlimited calls.

Ive been with Sky on and off thought the years usually been offered something. As far as I know Sky advisor's have a set amount of deals they can offer each month. If the advisor is keeping hold of deals or has ran out then its no deal!

Im not that bothered as I wanted to cut the subscription price but would have been nice to be offered something. After all Sky are losing out on £400 per year by me cutting my subscription :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ive been with Sky on and off thought the years usually been offered something. As far as I know Sky advisor's have a set amount of deals they can offer each month. If the advisor is keeping hold of deals or has ran out then its no deal!

Im not that bothered as I wanted to cut the subscription price but would have been nice to be offered something. After all Sky are losing out on £400 per year by me cutting my subscription :o

Whenever I have been offered a 'deal' in the past whether it be TV, broadband or line rental charges the advisor has always said something along the lines of 'let me have a look at the offers showing on your account'. They then tell me what offers are 'showing' available to me. Would this not be more likely as it would be based on length of time with Sky, any current offers you already have etc. Unless they just look at a current page on their computer and see what is available to anyone who calls and try to sell them that 'deal' (some are better than others obviously).
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member

Would it be worth checking out BT for telephony, broadband and free BT Sport with that? If someone wants to ditch the films package, cheaper alternatives are available in the form of Netflix or Amazon Prime.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whenever I have been offered a 'deal' in the past whether it be TV, broadband or line rental charges the advisor has always said something along the lines of 'let me have a look at the offers showing on your account'. They then tell me what offers are 'showing' available to me. Would this not be more likely as it would be based on length of time with Sky, any current offers you already have etc. Unless they just look at a current page on their computer and see what is available to anyone who calls and try to sell them that 'deal' (some are better than others obviously).

Well he looked at my account but never said "Let me have a look at the offers showing on your account." All he said is "I see you have been with Sky for 2 years and 4 months." Maybe he was having a bad day and had given up!
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I ditched my TV package alltogether a few hours ago. I got offered a deal for unlimited fibre broadband for 12 months, so I figured that i'd take that and then go online-only for the stuff i watch.

It's going to save me over £20 quid a month at a time when i really need every penny.
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Do you actually need the original bundle? have you looked at what Now Tv and freesat (as you would have that anyway if you ditched Sky) offer?
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I downgraded to The Original bundle only (£21.50 per month). Had the old Variety pack, Movies, plus HD (£54.75 per month). I had been thinking of downgrading for a while but this kind of pushed me. So Sky are losing out on £33.25 per month now. I never got offered any discounts or incentives by the advisor. Guess they used all their offers up in the last few days :D

I am considering setting up Now TV for the film channels. Its £9.99 per month and you can usually get a month or 2 for free anyway. The film channels are £17 per month so quite a saving!

Think it's even less than that....my parents have Now TV, and they had a free month of Sky Movies, I went to cancel it for them and then the offers came, they took the £32.99 upfront payment for 6 months extra (works out at £5.50 a month).
  • Options
    missbtsportmissbtsport Posts: 346
    Forum Member
    are Sky so stupid that they don't charge the right amount to every one, enough to make a profit and keep their subscribers happy, or do they like all the phone calls with people looking for a deal ?
  • Options
    sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    are Sky so stupid that they don't charge the right amount to every one, enough to make a profit and keep their subscribers happy, or do they like all the phone calls with people looking for a deal ?

Says the person who says they haggled for free HD on BT Sport for life, surely that shows BT aren't charging the right amount for everyone as well, so does that make them stupid as well?
  • Options
    paul_jtpaul_jt Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    The HD pack entitles you to HD variants of any channels in your current pack, plus the F1 channel and boxsets (assuming you mean downgrading from Variety to Original, but keeping the HD pack).
    Thanks sodafountain.

Spoke to a Sky advisor on Live Chat. They confirmed I would still receive Sky Atlantic HD with Original and Sky+HD - have kept a copy of the transcript :). Any change would take effect after 31 day notice period.
  • Options
    REVUpminsterREVUpminster Posts: 1,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My variety plus sports is going down from 52.50 to 45.50. This must be the £3 increase minus the £10 unsolicited loyalty offer. I already get broadband free for two years.

Another survey over the weekend and it they want to raise the anytime talk from £5 to £8 but include calls to mobiles free. or reduce to £4 but pay during the day before 6pm.

I need an accountant!!
  • Options
    VDUBsterVDUBster Posts: 1,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My bill will be rising roughly £5/6 in total, including the £3 rise in June, plus adding multiroom (with free 500GB Wifi box) to my account last week. I am one happy customer, so I'm one happy chappy :D

Variety
    Sky+HD
    Multiscreen
    Line Rental
    BB Unlimited

All for just over £65 ;-)
  • Options
    missbtsportmissbtsport Posts: 346
    Forum Member
    Says the person who says they haggled for free HD on BT Sport for life, surely that shows BT aren't charging the right amount for everyone as well, so does that make them stupid as well?

sorry for the delay in a reply. i do haggled as you say but only because I know the price is more than it should be, BT &Sky charge this price as it gives them room to offer a deal. if the price was set for the company to run their business at a profit and keep their customers happy, there would not be no one leaving or asking for a deal to stay, what that means is everyone paying the full price are paying for the discount of the ones who don't pay the full price, I must then assume that you are happy to pay more to let others get it cheap and I thank you for that
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,531
    Forum Member
    VDUBster wrote: »
    My bill will be rising roughly £5/6 in total, including the £3 rise in June, plus adding multiroom (with free 500GB Wifi box) to my account last week. I am one happy customer, so I'm one happy chappy :D

Variety
    Sky+HD
    Multiscreen
    Line Rental
    BB Unlimited

All for just over £65 ;-)

What you lot who are crowing about your perpetual "deals" fail to mention (or even realise!) is that your "deals" are still going up in cost at twice the annual rate of inflation on average. And *that's* where the rip-off lies, rather than in the absolute cost. You are still being ripped off!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »
    What you lot who are crowing about your perpetual "deals" fail to mention (or even realise!) is that your "deals" are still going up in cost at twice the annual rate of inflation on average. And *that's* where the rip-off lies, rather than in the absolute cost. You are still being ripped off!
    It was more of a subtle attempt to get people to stop whining about the price rises and actually do something about it.
    As long as your willing to call their bluff you don't have to pay full price.

This is the second year, when at the end of my contract period, I have rang up and got new discounts applied.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sorry for the delay in a reply. i do haggled as you say but only because I know the price is more than it should be, BT &Sky charge this price as it gives them room to offer a deal. if the price was set for the company to run their business at a profit and keep their customers happy, there would not be no one leaving or asking for a deal to stay, what that means is everyone paying the full price are paying for the discount of the ones who don't pay the full price, I must then assume that you are happy to pay more to let others get it cheap and I thank you for that
    Pretty much every company does this. Those that just accept the cost and pay it are paying more than they need to.

Although Car Insurance is one of the worst for this, many just renew their policies and don't realise how much they can save by shoppingaround.