History of Sky TV prices

2»

Comments

• swillsswills Posts: 4,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »
    As that neatly breaks the 100% increase barrier from 2000, I did a comparison with the Bank of England's Inflation Calculator.

2000 - 2015: Sky World Price increase is 101.5%
    2000 - 2014: UK Inflation increase was 50.3% (2015 will be much the same as inflation has now hit near-zero).

Well done to Sky... who appear to have raised prices for Sky World more than double that of inflation since the turn of the millennium, and by 5.7% (7.7% pa) in the month when inflation has hit zero%.

Inflation-busters extaordinaire! I wonder if they will include those statistics in their TV advertising?

But of course the channel line up is vastly different than that of 2000, so the % increase has be taken into account with the increased channel offering.........agreed some may think some of the channels are not worth anyhting !
  • scoobiesnacksscoobiesnacks Posts: 3,055
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swills wrote: »
    But of course the channel line up is vastly different than that of 2000, so the % increase has be taken into account with the increased channel offering.........agreed some may think some of the channels are not worth anyhting !

Very hard to compare channel lineups as Sky mixes up free to air channels deliberately with paid for channels and +1 channels. How many paid for channels has Sky offered each year? Hasn't the growth in HD channels ground to a halt in recent years?
  • RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I first got Sky in June 1991, Sky Sports was free for domestic and commercial premises.

About a year?? on they started charging £5.99 per month, again for domestic and commercial premises like pubs. They had an offer where the first three months was £2.99.

From then onwards prices steadily increased and commercial premises were charged a massive premium.

In the analogue days it was possible to listen to scrambled channels for nothing and I know of at least one person who used to do this as he couldn't afford to pay for Sky Sports once they encrypted.

Sky used to let viewers start watching the match and then slam the encryption on!
  • JulesandSandJulesandSand Posts: 6,012
    Forum Member
    When I first got Sky in June 1991, Sky Sports was free for domestic and commercial premises.

About a year?? on they started charging £5.99 per month, again for domestic and commercial premises like pubs. They had an offer where the first three months was £2.99.

From then onwards prices steadily increased and commercial premises were charged a massive premium.

In the analogue days it was possible to listen to scrambled channels for nothing and I know of at least one person who used to do this as he couldn't afford to pay for Sky Sports once they encrypted.

Sky used to let viewers start watching the match and then slam the encryption on!

I was watching Best of Wogan the other day - he was interviewing Rupert Murdoch who said

"Sky TV is free and always will be."

Due to increasing prices I've cut both Movies and Sports from my package. The tipping point where I'll ditch the whole lot is fast approaching.
  • Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,939
    Forum Member
    I'm very surprised to hear that Murdoch publicly said that!
    I have always assumed that Sky was always intended to eventually be a subscription based service once it got established, at least for movies and sport.
    :)
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was watching Best of Wogan the other day - he was interviewing Rupert Murdoch who said

Due to increasing prices I've cut both Movies and Sports from my package. The tipping point where I'll ditch the whole lot is fast approaching.

He is right actually! Freesat from Sky is still available.....

http://www.sky.com/shop/freesat/home/
  • JulesandSandJulesandSand Posts: 6,012
    Forum Member
    He is right actually! Freesat from Sky is still available.....

http://www.sky.com/shop/freesat/home/

Yeah - I'm sure that's what he meant
  • BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member

Just saw that interview. :D:D

My family switched to Sky satellite from its analogue service in September 1997. Still have the welcome pack information somewhere. Think the Sports pack cost less than £20.
  • RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my father had Sky in 1990 on a free trial which lasted 21 days, he decided to keep it for a bit longer and had Sky Movies, I think he was charged £9.99 a month for it.

I got my first satellite system in the middle of 1991. All channels were free apart from Sky Movies+ and The Movie Channel.

IIRC the channels were £9.99 a month each. I subscribed when The Comedy Channel started as a free bonus channel to customers taking both movie channels.

When Sky Multichannells started the basic channels and new start ups were encrypted, but I received them for free as there was no extra charge for movie subscribers.
    Dave-H wrote: »
    I'm very surprised to hear that Murdoch publicly said that!
    I have always assumed that Sky was always intended to eventually be a subscription based service once it got established, at least for movies and sport.
    :)

Interesting, I have always assumed that too. Sky initially let people have all their channels for free, then when the equipment was in peoples homes and people got used to having it, they slowly started charging for more and more channels. I remember when Sky started charging for their basic channels, it was called 'Sky Multichannels'. Sky stated that this was because this was the only way to provide quality programming. Previously free channels like QVC, Sky 1, The Childrens Channel etc were included and new ones started such as Discovery, TLC, Bravo etc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lotrjw wrote: »
    Sky movies is outrageous as I could get Netflix and subscribe to the family pack and still pay less than sky movies in HD!

Are there not just one or two more channels now than in 1997 ? sixteen then, of which some were not even for this Country !

Inflation in the UK since 1997 has been just under 68% and since 1991 103% ! Sky have been above that, (well 97 anyway) but they provide vastly more than they did back then !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

TV100 and Filmnet, and RTL4 used to do that too !
  • PamthehoundPamthehound Posts: 5,333
    Forum Member

I did just that a few years ago and dont regret it or even miss it. Besides most of their output is duplicated
  • davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Winston_1 wrote: »
    And how many sky channels does that give? Sky News, err I think that is it. All the others are not actually sky channels.

And it is not free either, it costs £25 for a card every so often.

Wrong - Sky own Pick TV and Challenge TV as well and both are FTA and do not require the FSFS viewing card.
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are all the non-Sky channels exclusive to them, if so will we see regulation in the future that allows channels to appear on multiple broadcasters and the consumer chooses which one they like - just like energy suppliers.