Options

How Long?

Sharon140Sharon140 Posts: 27
Forum Member
I had to have my wonderful Sasha PTS on the 13th November it broke my heart but she was 13 and suffered a number of ailments including being completely blind, arthritis and a touch of dementia. ::(

She was fine still going for walks and telling us all off as usual until a week before when she couldn't walk very far and seemed really unwell. Took her to the vet where I had the dreaded "quality of life speech". Watching her the next few days we could see that she was struggling and made the hardest decision ever to have the vet out to the house so end her suffering. :cry: I have cried everyday since, miss her so much :cry:

The vet told me that I would have her ashes back within a fortnight is this a typical timeframe to receive her ashes? it just seems a long time to me?:confused:

Comments

• Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't answer that question as we don't do it but just wanted to say how sorry I am that you are going through this, it does get easier but you never forget. Look after yourself at this time and I hope it gets easier sooner rather than later for you.
  • Options
    MarellaKMarellaK Posts: 5,783
    Forum Member
    I'm sorry for your loss.

I was told I'd receive my cat's ashes back after about 2 weeks too but it was only just over a week in the end. I think it takes that long because the vet sends the dead animals to the pet cremation company on certain days and then the individual cremations are carried out on certain days, not with the rest of the batch from people who don't want the ashes returned.

The ashes are returned in a casket of your choice (in my case anyway) in a nice box with the pet's name on and accompanied by a sympathy card.
  • Options
    xdowxdow Posts: 2,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    very sorry for your loss
    i can't really help either i'm afraid as when we had our dog cremated, we took her to the crematorium ourselves and waited whilst she was done, bringing her ashes home the same day
    you have my sympathies xx
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When my first dog died years ago we got his ashes back with in 3 days. We live only about half a hour away from the place though. The man brought him too us as well.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 345
    Forum Member
    We have had two cats cremated in the last three years. Ashes for each one took about two weeks to be returned to us.
  • Options
    niki1969niki1969 Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    So sorry for your loss. I know what you are going through as we had to have our wonderful cat Sooty put to sleep on the 12th of November (my heart is broken). We had him cremated and we brought him home yesterday. It felt like a very long time in between, but we are glad he is finally home with us. I really feel for you at the moment it is a really hard thing to go through. Big hugs to you
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thank you all so much for your kind replies ::)

Sasha is missed so much and I cant rest until she is home, we phoned the vets yesterday and they said she should be back either Monday or Tues next week :( I cant wait to get my little dog home. :cry:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just thought I would post to let you know I have my girl back home, picked up her ashes from the vets this morning :(

Of course I made a complete show of myself at the vets broke down crying right in reception they were so good though :cry: Cant seem to begin getting over losing her :cry:
  • Options
    dollylovesshoesdollylovesshoes Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sharon140 wrote: »
    Just thought I would post to let you know I have my girl back home, picked up her ashes from the vets this morning :(

Of course I made a complete show of myself at the vets broke down crying right in reception they were so good though :cry: Cant seem to begin getting over losing her :cry:

Aww I know just how you feel I bought my little girl home after a week,I also broke down in the vets,she is now by my side on the hearth,her fave place was laying in front of the fire.:(

Madds was PTS 12th the month.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Aww I know just how you feel I bought my little girl home after a week,I also broke down in the vets,she is now by my side on the hearth,her fave place was laying in front of the fire.:(

Madds was PTS 12th the month.

(((hugs))) its so awful isnt it, the grief is bad enough but I also feel so guilty for having her PTS, I just keep thinking perhaps I shouldn't have listened to the vet and kept her with me a while longer, it just happened so quickly we went to the vets on the Thursday and she was PTS on the following Tuesday :cry:
  • Options
    niki1969niki1969 Posts: 153
    Forum Member

I am so glad she is back home with you. Don't worry about crying at the vets. When we went to pick Sooty's ashes up on Friday they handed him to my husband and the box of tissues to me:cry:
  • Options
    blossom24blossom24 Posts: 411
    Forum Member

I have real empathy with you, we had to make the same decision on Tuesday (27th) for our little girl (dog).
    We had her pts at home and took her for a private cremation that morning, collected and brought her home a few hours later.
    Like you, I don't think the pain is ever going to go away.:cry:
    Big hugs xxx