Copying from Sky HD box -Game Capture device?

Big StevieBig Stevie Posts: 55
Forum Member
I wish to copy some of my Sky box recordings and store them on an external HD for use with my laptop and perhaps smart tv, and was wondering if a game capture device could be used to do this?

Anyone done it this way?

Comments

• fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am able to using these

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7Z-YINMBDw

The video came out really well

http://youtu.be/DCBDZV9eHvY
  • sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Hauppauge device states it will only record from HDMI sources without HDCP protection, surely the Sky box does have this, so how is it recording it, or is it the HDMI splitter removing the HDCP signal from the output?
  • Big StevieBig Stevie Posts: 55
    Forum Member
    Thanks fmradiotuner1.

So how exactly does it work? Do I connect it to my Sky box via HDMI and then also connect ti to my macbook, then..

1) Open its software on my macbook
    2) Play my Sky recoding
    3) Record the footage on my macbook
    4) Copy the recording from macbook to an external HD

Would this even work with a macbook?

Thanks.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Big Stevie wrote: »
    Thanks fmradiotuner1.

So how exactly does it work? Do I connect it to my Sky box via HDMI and then also connect ti to my macbook, then..

1) Open its software on my macbook
    2) Play my Sky recoding
    3) Record the footage on my macbook
    4) Copy the recording from macbook to an external HD

Would this even work with a macbook?

Thanks.
    According to the specs this device's software is Windows only. Doesn't say there is a Mac OS version of the software.

http://www.hauppauge.co.uk/site/products/data_hdpvr_rocket.html

Mind you it seems it can also record standalone to a USB drive so that might be an option.
  • Amajeed2k5Amajeed2k5 Posts: 120
    Forum Member
    I've got a similar setup. Sky box connected to HDMI splitter, connected to HDFury (to remove HDCP) connected to Hauppage device. You can then use video capture software that should pick it up.
  • Amajeed2k5Amajeed2k5 Posts: 120
    Forum Member
    I use Windows 7 so no experience with MacBook.
  • Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    Don't think that's what you need.

The only way I know of recording from Sky's hdmi output is to use the Hauppage HD PVR/HD PVR2 and a HDMI to Component converter.

What inputs do you have on the Mac book?
    Forum Member
    Deacon1972 wrote: »
    Don't think that's what you need.

The only way I know of recording from Sky's hdmi output is to use the Hauppage HD PVR/HD PVR2 and a HDMI to Component converter.

What inputs do you have on the Mac book?

According to the specification..

Gigabit Ethernet port
    FireWire 800 port (up to 800 Mbps)
    Two USB 3 ports (up to 5 Gbps)
    Thunderbolt port (up to 10 Gbps)

What I'm not sure of is whether the footage is recorded directly onto the Hauppage, and can later be copied over to a macbook, or does the footage record directly onto the macbook via the Hauppage?
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,453
    Forum Member
    What I'm not sure of is whether the footage is recorded directly onto the Hauppage, and can later be copied over to a macbook, or does the footage record directly onto the macbook via the Hauppage?

It's just a converter, you need a computer (and possibly a PC? - the spec only mentions Windows) to record.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's just a converter, you need a computer (and possibly a PC? - the spec only mentions Windows) to record.

The item Big Stevie linked to is not a converter, it is a recorder (onto a USB drive).

Records direct to USB thumb drive in PC and Apple MAC MP4 format.

I believe there is software for a PC, so you can stream and record it straight onto the PC through the USB port, it doesn't mention if this can be done on a MAC, but with a large enough USB stick, it can be recorded straight onto there, then put into the MAC for processing afterwards.

The only problem with it is it won't record DHCP, which I believe the Sky box outputs?

This one is compatible with recording direct to MAC (again, no DHCP support) - http://www.hauppauge.co.uk/site/products/data_hdpvr2plus-gaming.html
    Forum Member
    sodafountain, are you saying that the one in you link will work?

I understand any HDCP issues can be overcome by using a HDMI splitter such as this..

http://thevideoanalyst.com/record-sky-box
    Forum Member
    According to the specification..

Gigabit Ethernet port
    FireWire 800 port (up to 800 Mbps)
    Two USB 3 ports (up to 5 Gbps)
    Thunderbolt port (up to 10 Gbps)

I have found this, you will probably be more familiar with the software mentioned as to whether the setup will work or not. You may or may not need the splitter, you can find cheaper HDMI to Component converters.

- SKY box HDMI out goes to:
    - Neet HDMI Splitter (£25 on Amazon) - one output goes to TV, one goes to:
    - Purelink HD Fury2 HDMI to VGA (component) (£120 on Amazon). Video Component feed from this goes to:
    - Hauppauge HD PVR (£145 on Amazon). This feeds USB out to:
    - MacBook Pro running Elgato Eye TV software. I had this already, you may have to buy.
    - ALSO you need to send audio to the Hauppauge - this is easy, either straight pair of phono from LR audio out of Skybox, to audio-in on PVR. Or you can use the optical route if you have a Tos Link cable to hand.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sodafountain, are you saying that the one in you link will work?

According to the specs on the manufacturers website (that I linked), it said it was compatible with Mac, also says the same on Amazon website - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hauppauge-PVR-Gaming-Edition-Plus/dp/B00B2XN7NQ
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,453
    Forum Member
    The item Big Stevie linked to is not a converter, it is a recorder (onto a USB drive).

I was referring to the HD PVR2 - from it's webpage:
    Yes, a PC or laptop is required to use HD PVR 2. The PC is used to both run the HD PVR 2 application plus is the place where HD PVR 2 recordings are stored. HD PVR 2 does not have any internal disk storage. HD PVR 2 connects to a PC or laptop computer through a USB 2.0 port. The HD PVR 2 recordings are stored on the PC's disk drive.
    Forum Member
    Im struggling with the link I posted, it defaults to the Rocket model, but in the drop down box theres an option to select the Hauppauge HD PVR 2, being a Mac compatible model..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hauppauge-PVR-Gaming-Edition-Plus/dp/B00B2XN7NQ

Ok so am I right in thinking that the mac compatible model requires a USB stick which it records onto, and when doing so, it records in a format recognised by my macbook? I guess I can then edit the footage via iMovie?
  • webbiewebbie Posts: 1,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This splitter works a treat. No need for hdmi to component converters if you have an hdmi in:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Switch-Splitter-Input-Output-1080p/dp/B006KZBC92/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1426165097&sr=1-3&keywords=2+Way+HDMI+Switch+Splitter+Box+1x2+Port+%281+Input+x+2+Output%29+1080p+Full+HD+-+Splits+HDMI+Signals+to+Two+HD+Displays%3A+Blu-Ray+Player+Ps3+Xbox+360+Sky+HD
    Add an elgato or maybe standalone with sd card with hdmi in and record to sd card. Put sd card into mac and the file should be playable on a mac (it's a standard format). Haven't tried it though a I haven't got a mac!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was referring to the HD PVR2 - from it's webpage:

I think Deacon1972 muddied the waters by bringing up the PVR2 and component converters (which the OP doesn't need), as the OP was talking about the Rocket originally, which is a standalone recorder, as well as streaming to a PC (which i think would do them fine).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im struggling with the link I posted, it defaults to the Rocket model, but in the drop down box theres an option to select the Hauppauge HD PVR 2, being a Mac compatible model..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hauppauge-PVR-Gaming-Edition-Plus/dp/B00B2XN7NQ

Ok so am I right in thinking that the mac compatible model requires a USB stick which it records onto, and when doing so, it records in a format recognised by my macbook? I guess I can then edit the footage via iMovie?

No, the Rocket uses a USB stick to record to, that you then plug into your MAC afterwards, the PVR2 (Mac version) will connect directly to the Mac, then you download some software, and record straight onto the Mac, there is no direct record onto USB available on that version.
    Forum Member
    I think Deacon1972 muddied the waters by bringing up the PVR2 and component converters (which the OP doesn't need), as the OP was talking about the Rocket originally, which is a standalone recorder, as well as streaming to a PC (which i think would do them fine).

Deleted...OP has replied with their choice...
    Forum Member
    Im just hoping that those items will work, expensive mistake if not.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im just hoping that those items will work, expensive mistake if not.

As long as the Splitter removes the HDCP signal, and the HD2 works ok with the Mac (as it says it does), then there shouldn't be a problem.

As for expensive mistake, don't forget the Distance Selling Regulations (now the Consumer Contracts Regulations since June 2014) allow you to return the goods, for any reason (or no reason at all, just because you have changed your mind).
  • RagnarokRagnarok Posts: 4,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Hauppauge device states it will only record from HDMI sources without HDCP protection, surely the Sky box does have this, so how is it recording it, or is it the HDMI splitter removing the HDCP signal from the output?

A HDMI splitter removes HDCP from the output. handy device! So yes this should work when setup correctly.
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ragnarok wrote: »
    A HDMI splitter removes HDCP from the output. handy device! So yes this should work when setup correctly.

That sounds really handy could you also convert to component easily off of that then?