Options

Doctor Who Fans (Part Tennant)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Doctor's Daughter in my series 4 rewatch, hopefully I will enjoy it more this time, but we'll see :) A lot of episodes have improved this time for me :) I'll give brief reviews if anyone is interested :)

Partners in Crime - Really enjoyable episode and a very believeable reintroduction for Donna. Something didn't sit right with me...not entirely sure what, but 7.6/10

The Fires of Pompeii - A good, solid story with very little to fault. Raised good moral questions about the Doctor refusing to go and save the people of Pompeii, showing the Doctor really does need someone there with him...9.1/10

Planet of the Ood - Again, very enjoyable story. I particularly liked how the Ood were seen as monsters in the beginning, but a good twist revealed it was actually humanity who were the villians here...9.5/10

The Sontaran Stratagem/The Poison Sky - Didn't like Martha here, didn't see any need to re-introduce her tbh. Not my favourite story ever, but once again loved Donna and Wilf, great to see their stories progress. 5.4 and 6.2/10 respectively :)
  • Options
    SheMoore19SheMoore19 Posts: 2,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    Just to tide you over, here are your fave companions 20th - 11th:

20. Martha Jones
    19. Vislor Turlough
    18. Elizabeth "Liz" Shaw
    17. Harry Sullivan
    16. Rory Williams
    15. Rose Tyler
    14. Tegan Jovanka
    13. Amy Pond
    12. Zoe Herriot
    11. K9
    I am already bracing myself from the attack of the Rosettes when it is noted she has not made the top 10 when the video is uploaded to YT! :eek:

Ooh err...the Rosies aren't going to be happy. :D

Two of mine in that list. Hmmm. I wonder if that means that the rest of them made it into the top ten? :cool: One can dream. ;):D
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Partners in Crime - Really enjoyable episode and a very believeable reintroduction for Donna. Something didn't sit right with me...not entirely sure what, but 7.6/10

The Fires of Pompeii - A good, solid story with very little to fault. Raised good moral questions about the Doctor refusing to go and save the people of Pompeii, showing the Doctor really does need someone there with him...9.1/10

Planet of the Ood - Again, very enjoyable story. I particularly liked how the Ood were seen as monsters in the beginning, but a good twist revealed it was actually humanity who were the villians here...9.5/10

The Sontaran Stratagem/The Poison Sky - Didn't like Martha here, didn't see any need to re-introduce her tbh. Not my favourite story ever, but once again loved Donna and Wilf, great to see their stories progress. 5.4 and 6.2/10 respectively :)

Partners in Time is great, imho, but what it lacks that The Eleventh Hour has over it is a feeling of freshness, and I think that boils down to the series openers tending to be a bit formulaic in many ways in series 1 - 4, which doesn't stop Partners in Crime being a great set up for series 4.

Fires of Pompeii is an amazingly well balanced episode, the way it effortlessly bounces between angst, humour, drama and action is remarkable really. Great script.

Planet of the Ood is arguably the best paced single part story in nu who...great sense of escalating drama and tension. Mind boggling reveal with ood transformation! :eek:

The Sontaran two parter is solid but unspectacular. Other than the opening line, I thought Martha was fine in this, and the cloning element to the story definitely justified her presence. I'd say The Doctors Daughter is the story she doesn't really fit in actually.
    SheMoore19 wrote: »
    Ooh err...the Rosies aren't going to be happy. :D

I'm sure they won't, alas some of them have difficulty understanding the difference between opinion and fact on YT...very frustrating.

BTW, Being Human fans, just saw that the whole of series 1 is available for £4.99 on itunes. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Partners in Time is great, imho, but what it lacks that The Eleventh Hour has over it is a feeling of freshness, and I think that boils down to the series openers tending to be a bit formulaic in many ways in series 1 - 4, which doesn't stop Partners in Crime being a great set up for series 4.

Fires of Pompeii is an amazingly well balanced episode, the way it effortlessly bounces between angst, humour, drama and action is remarkable really. Great script.

Planet of the Ood is arguably the best paced single part story in nu who...great sense of escalating drama and tension. Mind boggling reveal with ood transformation! :eek:

The Sontaran two parter is solid but unspectacular. Other than the opening line, I thought Martha was fine in this, and the cloning element to the story definitely justified her presence. I'd say The Doctors Daughter is the story she doesn't really fit in actually.

I actually 100% agree here with everything you said here. In The Sontaran Stratagem, it is the opening line I am indifferent to, it fails to get me excited for her return really, but that line doesn't come close to being as cringeworthy (for me) as her talking about 'standing a chance of making [UNIT] better from the inside' - I hate that line with a passion, but don't mind the "bringing you back to Earth" line as much, which might be a bit odd, but hey :D Oh and yes, Martha sticks out like a sore thumb in TDD, which is a shame really...she could have been a fantastic character... Maybe Donna's awesomeness just stole all the scenes :p

On the rewatch front, The Doctor's Daughter was possibly one of the dullest episodes in New Who imo. Apart from Donna, being once again, brilliant and bringing some real emotion to the Doctor's past - about those he lost in the Time War and having a nice little moment that reveals quite a lot about both characters - I hated it! :eek: I just don't buy that whole 'the war started a week ago' stuff - surely one soldier survived seven days, especially if they were creating so many soldiers at one time :confused: Also, Martha annoyed me in this episode (which is a shame because I liked her in series 3) and that whole scene with her falling in a mud pit and the Hath (which I was more fond of than her in this episode) dying was completely bizarre as it was completely unneeded. Unfortuantly, this episode brings down series 4's average score, with a 3.6/10 for me :(

Still, The Unicorn and the Wasp tomorrow - I don't care what anyone says, I love it!! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh and I still have six companions that haven't been in the Top 20, so there's a good chance some will still get in to the Top 10! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I possibly one of the dullest episodes in New Who imo. Apart from Donna, being once again, brilliant and bringing some real emotion to the Doctor's past - about those he lost in the Time War and having a nice little moment that reveals quite a lot about both characters - I hated it! :eek: I just don't buy that whole 'the war started a week ago' stuff - surely one soldier survived seven days, especially if they were creating so many soldiers at one time :confused: Also, Martha annoyed me in this episode (which is a shame because I liked her in series 3) and that whole scene with her falling in a mud pit and the Hath (which I was more fond of than her in this episode) dying was completely bizarre as it was completely unneeded. Unfortuantly, this episode brings down series 4's average score, with a 3.6/10 for me :(

Part of the reason that Martha sticks out like a sore thumb in TDD is because she has no one to really interact with during the episode. Sure she hangs out with the Hath, but it's hardly like she can engage in much conversation of note with them. Her whole appearance in the story really feels like a contractual obligation, as it has so little significance or relevance to the storyline.

TDD was the only poor episode of series 4 for me. The story feels like a bit like a play on of The Other Side from Stargate, but doesn't work half as well.
  • Options
    Tigger-RooTigger-Roo Posts: 10,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just to tide you over, here are your fave companions 20th - 11th:

20. Martha Jones
    19. Vislor Turlough
    18. Elizabeth "Liz" Shaw
    17. Harry Sullivan
    16. Rory Williams
    15. Rose Tyler
    14. Tegan Jovanka
    13. Amy Pond
    12. Zoe Herriot
    11. K9
    I am already bracing myself from the attack of the Rosettes when it is noted she has not made the top 10 when the video is uploaded to YT! :eek:

ooh 4 of my votes in this category. I thought Amy and Rory would have been higher to be honest, being the current companions. But then Amy was not on my list so maybe she still has to work for some of us.

I'm glad to see Zoe made it into the top 20, I'm very fond of her.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tigger-Roo wrote: »
    ooh 4 of my votes in this category. I thought Amy and Rory would have been higher to be honest, being the current companions. But then Amy was not on my list so maybe she still has to work for some of us.

i think amy has done well...she finished ahead of both Martha and Rose, so of the three nu who female companions bar Donna she has come out on top. I think when your looking at almost 50 years of the shows history the most current are at a disadvantage in some ways, it's a bit different to stories where I can agree this will be the case because people often attach more to characters from the past when it comes to nostalgia.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i think amy has done well...she finished ahead of both Martha and Rose, so of the three nu who female companions bar Donna she has come out on top. I think when your looking at almost 50 years of the shows history the most current are at a disadvantage in some ways, it's a bit different to stories where I can agree this will be the case because people often attach more to characters from the past when it comes to nostalgia.

yeah you may be right there. It will be interesting to see what the top ten will be. :)
  • Options
    Eowyn WEowyn W Posts: 6,792
    Forum Member
    In her absence, I still wanted to say Happy Birthday to Crazzy! Hope you have (or rather had, by the time you get back!) a good day!

*wonders what the mutli-quote will be like on crazzy's return...*
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hey, it's "Torchwood Sunday" at the National Space Centre.....

http://blogtorwho.blogspot.com/2010/10/torchwood-sunday-at-national-space.html

Might get some news on TW4!:)
  • Options
    Adam KelleherAdam Kelleher Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nightmare! I had a dream last night where I was watching TV and the continuity announcer said "And now for the first episode of the last ever series of Doctor Who". :eek::eek:
  • Options
    Eowyn WEowyn W Posts: 6,792
    Forum Member
    Nightmare! I had a dream last night where I was watching TV and the continuity announcer said "And now for the first episode of the last ever series of Doctor Who". :eek::eek:

:eek::eek::eek:

Did you wake up in a cold sweat?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eowyn W wrote: »
    In her absence, I still wanted to say Happy Birthday to Crazzy! Hope you have (or rather had, by the time you get back!) a good day!

Happy Birthday Crazzy! Hope you have a sparkling day!
    Hey, it's "Torchwood Sunday" at the National Space Centre.....

http://blogtorwho.blogspot.com/2010/10/torchwood-sunday-at-national-space.html

Might get some news on TW4!:)

Oh yes please, I would love some Torchwood news!:D

That is scary! Definitely a nightmare. You poor thing. :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yikes how awful!

I think in real life DW will never end in the conventional meaning of the word, even if it falls in and out of favour with the wider audience it will always have enough core appeal to stay in the public concenisence enough for a future reboot at the right time.
  • Options
    JohnFlawbodJohnFlawbod Posts: 4,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just my two penn'eth on S4 lines: I'm not really fussed either way over "bringing you back to Earth" but the stand-out dreadful line in terms of content and delivery has to be Jenny's truly annoying "Hello Dad" in TDD which makes me cringe every time I see it...like the Hath though, shame they got saddled with a less than interesting episode.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just my two penn'eth on S4 lines: I'm not really fussed either way over "bringing you back to Earth" but the stand-out dreadful line in terms of content and delivery has to be Jenny's truly annoying "Hello Dad" in TDD which makes me cringe every time I see it...like the Hath though, shame they got saddled with a less than interesting episode.

Yeah, I'm not fussed over that first line either, doesn't really bother me either way...don't like "Hello Dad" either. Although, nothing made me cringe as much as "thank you, Doctor, thankkkk you" in Voyage of the Damned - I had my head in my hands for that one! :D

I like the Hath too :)
  • Options
    weedledeedleweedledeedle Posts: 8,669
    Forum Member
    hi y'alllllllll

I have been "investigating" this Doctor Who Experience fingy :(

not having much joy at getting any information - perhaps I am being a bit previous? :confused:

assumed I would receive an email "in the next few DAYS"

and it aint turned up yet :(

oh well,,,,forwards.....back laters.... *waves*
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eowyn W wrote: »

Is it crazzy's birthday?[highlight] Happy birthday, Crazzy[/highlight]

Yes, I'll have to get my tea and toast ready for the marathon read that will be the multi-quote :)
    Yikes how awful!

I think in real life DW will never end in the conventional meaning of the word, even if it falls in and out of favour with the wider audience it will always have enough core appeal to stay in the public concenisence enough for a future reboot at the right time.

I agree. I like to think DW has become a national myth like Robin Hood and Merlin! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, Happy Birthday Crazzy for whenever you read this :)

When is Crazzy coming back? :eek: It feels like an age since she was last here :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Holy Moly, must have just squeezed my last post into the "Meanwhile in the TARDIS" thread before it closed :eek: Luckily, it was a nice post, would have been embarrasing if it wasn't! :)

Anyway, away to watch The Unicorn and the Wasp now! :D
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Holy Moly, must have just squeezed my last post into the "Meanwhile in the TARDIS" thread before it closed :eek: Luckily, it was a nice post, would have been embarrasing if it wasn't! :)

Why did they close the thread just when everyone was starting to mellow and apologise to each other?

Enjoy TUatW! Contains some of the funniest scenes in DW ever imo.:)
  • Options
    JohnBoy WaltonJohnBoy Walton Posts: 993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fezzes:

Sorry, that's my fault. I just lashed out because of how attacked I felt. Yes, I started it. But talking abbot something I believe in. Having every active member then pile onto you, making it impossible to reply to everyone and every different argument does leave you feeling a little bullied. Which I mentioned to DS before I saw your reply.

I was grateful for your message though, it was very sweet and very much appreciated.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

got a bit hairy in there didn't it? Think it was a good afternoon to be away setting up my wii!:D

I am now going to do my classic who watch for the week...oh joy! :o:D
  • Options
    Adam KelleherAdam Kelleher Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yikes how awful!

Yes, I remember reading in DWM a while ago that there would be Doctor Who epsiodes we would never see - not just the 108 missing ones but all the ones that will be made afer we've passed on!
This discussion has been closed.