Options

Advice on career

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,821
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hey,

So basically I'm a second year university student, and hate it, and have for some time, I've stuck at it because a) people keep telling me to b)job market is pish and c) it's nice being a a student i guess, doing **** all ha.

But I'm really getting sick of my situation, I'm working part time at PC World, and would hate for this to be my career, but the job market is so poor, and I don't have qualification, so getting a decent paid and enjoyable job would be off the cards if I left university.

But staying at university means, I would be relatively miserable, I'm drinking waaay to much, like drinking when I get depressed because I don't understand lectures, and just drink when I'm bored because I've nothing to do, so I think having a full time job would stop me from drinking as much as I do too. It would also mean I would have a better chance of getting a good job.

I know a job isnt everything, and ultimately all I want to be is happy, I'm in a brilliant relationship, with someone who is also at university, so I don't know whether dropping out would affect that, obviously Id get a job in the same city as the university, but still... I really don't know what to do, I dont want to be in a dead end job for the rest of my life, and I dont want to stay and fail and be miserable at university.

:(

Comments

• Options
    wenchwench Posts: 8,928
    Forum Member
    Firstly you have to figure out what career you would like and whether your degree is going to give you a better advantage in getting that career, or would starting off as a junior in that field be better.

Personally I would think its best to suck it up for one more year, otherwise its a completely waste of the years you've already done at Uni. The job market is crap as you know and surely finding a job when you finished will be slightly easier when you have qualifications behind you.
  • Options
    DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is it you want to do for a job? If you leave uni there is always the option of starting in the field you want and working your way up. It may take longer but you may be happier. People down the line may look down at you for not having a degree in your field, but it can also work the other way in equal measures, people will also admire you for starting at the bottom.

Your relationship should last regardless what you do, why would that suffer just because you leave uni this year - in other words if it doesnt work out was it ever meant to be?

Anyway - no point sticking to something you hate doing, from the sounds of it your heart is far from your uni course so you may as well leave now before wasting any more time and getting kicked out! Today is the beginning of the rest of your life :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is it you want to do for a job? If you leave uni there is always the option of starting in the field you want and working your way up. It may take longer but you may be happier. People down the line may look down at you for not having a degree in your field, but it can also work the other way in equal measures, people will also admire you for starting at the bottom.

Your relationship should last regardless what you do, why would that suffer just because you leave uni this year - in other words if it doesnt work out was it ever meant to be?

Anyway - no point sticking to something you hate doing, from the sounds of it your heart is far from your uni course so you may as well leave now before wasting any more time and getting kicked out! Today is the beginning of the rest of your life :D

The thing is I don't really know what I want to do!!

I study computing science, as I've always enjoyed technology, but its ruined it for me lol, I did sort of a one year course prior to it, on fixing and maintaing pc's so I would love to do something like that, sort of working with PC's maybe being a tech guy at a firm, who fixes buggy machines, but I'm sure you need degrees for that jazz? - even if you don't, I wouldnt know where to look for a job, Aberdeen isn't a particularly big area, and doesnt have that much jobs in that field, I would need to stay here for my girlfriend, as I would be miserable without her!

Thanks for your reply though :) its put a smile on my face!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scofield wrote: »
    The thing is I don't really know what I want to do!!

I study computing science, as I've always enjoyed technology, but its ruined it for me lol, I did sort of a one year course prior to it, on fixing and maintaing pc's so I would love to do something like that, sort of working with PC's maybe being a tech guy at a firm, who fixes buggy machines, but I'm sure you need degrees for that jazz? - even if you don't, I wouldnt know where to look for a job, Aberdeen isn't a particularly big area, and doesnt have that much jobs in that field, I would need to stay here for my girlfriend, as I would be miserable without her!

Thanks for your reply though :) its put a smile on my face!!
    you sound like me! i left work and started a full time HND in computing because of an interest and by the end of the first year i was bored. I went back to my old job but continued the studies part time 1 day a week and got enough modules to get a HNC and that was enough. It didnt help me directly but over the years its definatly given me an advantage with my computer knowledge and having the qualification (im now a construction planner!)

So maybe have a word with a course tutor and see if you can transfer to a part time course. You'll have to pay for it yourself (though i dont know how it works now, back then I got a part loan / part grant for my Full time year and paid instalments for my PT year - i think it was £800, might have been £500 but that was the late 90's). At least you can work more hours gaining work experience and you can get a qual without wasting all your time. Then you can start looking for other jobs after you finish in a year or two. Interviewers seem impressed tbh when they realise you work AND study. Like I say you dont have to stick in a strictly computing role for the rest of your life either. In fact you could always retrain in something completly different. I also did a HNC in construction as well and finished last year, but the HNC comp and the years of work experience are definatly of benefit - dont give up hope!!!!

edit - seeing as you already work at PC world are there no openings in their pc repair dept? Or if you get enough experience / knowledge you could set yourself up n business and be your own boss.
  • Options
    ProgRockerProgRocker Posts: 1,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I was a full time student (HND for 24 months & then 18 month Top-Up BA Honours degree) I was rather surprised about how much free time I had between lectures and I shared some of the same anxieties as you, OP. I think that you should ride it out until the end.

Its probably easier to say than do but I would concentrate on using the free time during the day to focus on studying (outside of work, of course). Keep the drink to a minimum to, say, nights out with friends or the sigificant other. :)

One mistake i made was this - once you get into your final year, get yourself one of those 'graduate recruiters' guides and start applying for schemes in your preferred career path.
  • Options
    MarzBar85MarzBar85 Posts: 15,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My brother dropped out of Uni early. He felt out of his depth in 2nd year, kept it to himself. Started to fail, again keeping it to himself. He got a formal letter from the Uni asking to meet, to cut a story he's ended up with an HND, no idea for a career, working in a job he hates but is pretty much stuck there until his girlfriend graduates. He's been in this situation for around 6 years now (although the girlfriend only entered 3 years ago!)

Think about what you want to do, and research how you're going to get there before you drop out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks all,

But I really don't think staying at university is an option, I'm definately falling behind, and I really dont enjoy it, I'm a sociable guy, and get one with people, have quite a few friends, but think most people in my class are fannys.

Someone mentioned getting like jnr or entry level positions, working my way up, but I honestly don't know how or where to get a job like that, as I say ultimately I would like to be someone sort of IT guy, be it an administrator tech support, or an IT consultant, but just dont know how.

Thanks all!
  • Options
    clarriboclarribo Posts: 6,258
    Forum Member
    It sounds like you have made your decision. Out of interest I looked on totaljobs at IT jobs in Aberdeen and see Geek Squad are recruiting- could this be something for you?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scofield wrote: »
    Someone mentioned getting like jnr or entry level positions, working my way up, but I honestly don't know how or where to get a job like that, as I say ultimately I would like to be someone sort of IT guy, be it an administrator tech support, or an IT consultant, but just dont know how.

Thanks all!

stick at PC world then for now and see if they have any openings in those departments.