Options

bt sports

Comments

• Options
    Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    VisionMan1 wrote: »
    Due to its poor quality and unreliability, Now TV is not a viable IPTV option.

Whereas YouView from TalkTalk has been widely lauded by both users and reviewers for its high quality and reliability. And TT have been working on the complaints side of things too. And have seen a 41% drop in the number recieved. Thats a massive shift where customer service is concerned.

The numerous multi million pound fines from Ofcom probably had a lot to do with the number of complaints falling. Do something or go bust was a great incentive to improve performance :D
  • Options
    Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because they are still in talks with BT.

Plus TUTV have never been forthcoming about giving out information in the first place.
  • Options
    tomeetomee Posts: 2,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What sky sports are still in talks with Topuptv this is news to me.
  • Options
    VisionMan1VisionMan1 Posts: 2,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tomee wrote: »
    What sky sports are still in talks with Topuptv this is news to me.

No tomee, TUTV are still in talks with BT.
  • Options
    popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    Never used Now TV so cant comment on picture quality merely giving examples of IPTV offerings from large companies. Dare I mention TalkTalk TV or will that give you a laugh as well :confused:

I got a free pass to watch some football on NOW TV thanks to Twitter and hashtags and so on.
    The PQ is actually good i can say. I even hooked the laptop into the tv via HDMI and it was more than fine.
    Downside is the player they use, Silverlight from Microsoft, which is just pure and utter tripe and the cost, is extortion and nothing less.
    NOW TV is not something there to cater for longterm subscribers/viewers but as a PPV type basis.

If you want IPTV on a subscription, get SkyGo Monthly Ticket. Or BT Vision.

TopUp TV needed to adapt years back and didn't and its going to bit them hard in the botty for it.
    And the silence from them actually speaks volumes, which is a shame as run properly, TUTV had the potential to be a real winner.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you look at the content mix back in 2011 you can see they still had the right idea of a good mix for the TV Fav. service plus the sports and the cost at the time was fairly reasonable.

I think, and this is just MHO, that the owners lost interest and let things just run on for however long they where able to let it and not bother about changes or improvements.

After all when you look at the country as a whole there must be an awful lot of people, relatively speaking, who can't get broadband at this moment or can't have a dish etc. which is where TUTV came in as a viable add on to the freeview service.

Sadly the company have let things slide and now depending on how things go with BT we could soon be saying good bye. Shame as when it was working at full capacity the service was very cost effective for us end users and provided a good mix of programmes for all the family.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    Soooooo...
    Since my Thomson 6300 has now finally died (it was a bit like Trigger's broom), and given that we originally got Topup TV for the AMerican Football and Motorsport, can anyone give me any advice for the way to go now?

Can't decide whether to get another box (does it still have to be a Thomson?), or change to a different provider.
    I'm not sure if we can use BT Vision as we don't have fast broadband here, as we are in a village no-one lives in and no-one visits.
  • Options
    duffman25duffman25 Posts: 966
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would wait for few more weeks because top up tv could get the bt sports channels and keep espn as they already have it on there on ebay you can get ican hd box for top up tv or there new non pvr box or some of the older pvr that they did. You could phone them see what box they can offer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    duffman25 wrote: »
    I would wait for few more weeks because top up tv could get the bt sports channels and keep espn as they already have it on there on ebay you can get ican hd box for top up tv or there new non pvr box or some of the older pvr that they did. You could phone them see what box they can offer.

I can highly recommend (forgive the pun) the ican easy HD box. Its a superb piece of kit. Cheap too.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0&_nkw=ican+easy+hd&_sacat=0&_from=R40
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I can highly recommend (forgive the pun) the ican easy HD box. Its a superb piece of kit. Cheap too.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0&_nkw=ican+easy+hd&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Thank you both for that advice....if getting (yet another) secondhand box is cheap enough I will, having just reformatted the HDD once again just for fun, and still got the stuttering.
    We MUST have a PVR function, as a lot of the stuff himself wants is on overnight...when we originally signed up, he had American Football and lots of interesting motorsports...it's been slowly whittled away, and I was wondering if there was a better provider for these esoteric pastimes.
    I guess waiting to see what happens to TUTV using the cheap replacement is the thing...only the Thomson is such a piece of...
    I loved the HUMAX one I used to have before that....:cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    windyone wrote: »
    Thank you both for that advice....if getting (yet another) secondhand box is cheap enough I will, having just reformatted the HDD once again just for fun, and still got the stuttering.
    We MUST have a PVR function, as a lot of the stuff himself wants is on overnight...when we originally signed up, he had American Football and lots of interesting motorsports...it's been slowly whittled away, and I was wondering if there was a better provider for these esoteric pastimes.
    I guess waiting to see what happens to TUTV using the cheap replacement is the thing...only the Thomson is such a piece of...
    I loved the HUMAX one I used to have before that....:cool:

I would recommend duffman25's advice. Just wait a few weeks. All the announcements about whats happening will be made then. Then make your choice as to what to do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Query - whats your internet line speed, windyone?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Query - whats your internet line speed, windyone?

1.96Meg
    apparently.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1.96Meg
    apparently.

Ah. Then internet TV is not an option for you, sorry to say.

Try this though. It's quite accurate -

http://www.broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk/
  • Options
    Forum Member

Yep, done that..which is what gave me the figure. Not bad though, last time I bothered to check, it was half a meg, back when we first got Broadband.
  • Options
    Kipper2Kipper2 Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    Why repeat the previous post? It makes no sense to repeat the previous post. We can all read what you have replied to, why do it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kipper2 wrote: »
    Why repeat the previous post? It makes no sense to repeat the previous post. We can all read what you have replied to, why do it?

Just to be sure, thats all.There was nothing surreptitious in my reply.
  • Options
    Forum Member

And its of concern to you why?!
    If the poster wants to quote a previous post then thats his/her right as a member of the forum and doesn't answer to you!

Thanks for that link, just checked mine and rather surprised at how fast mine was compared to what VM say i get . . . .
    Soooooo...
    Since my Thomson 6300 has now finally died (it was a bit like Trigger's broom), and given that we originally got Topup TV for the AMerican Football and Motorsport, can anyone give me any advice for the way to go now?

Can't decide whether to get another box (does it still have to be a Thomson?), or change to a different provider.
    I'm not sure if we can use BT Vision as we don't have fast broadband here, as we are in a village no-one lives in and no-one visits.

I too would recommend you wait and see.
    I know a few that have gone to Sky and i can't blame them as TUTV has got so unreliable.
    Boxwise, i'll also support the iCan Easy HD box. Its what i used for TUTV services Sky Sports & ESPN and it was excellent.
    Its not a PVR though...
    Best of luck
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,252
    Forum Member
    Because he may be replying to somebody else!

Stop telling people not to use the quote feature, the forum would be a mess without it!

It gets hard to follow DS rule number 1 sometimes!! :D
  • Options
    Kipper2Kipper2 Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    Hi, I'm not telling anyone what to do, and welcome people's comments on here. This is clearly a reply to you the previous poster so no need to use quotes. Of course quotes are the best if replying to a post earlier than the immediate one. In my befuddled state I wondered why I kept reading duplicates. 'nuff said.:)

Cheers
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hi, I'm not telling anyone what to do, and welcome people's comments on here. This is clearly a reply to you the previous poster so no need to use quotes. Of course quotes are the best if replying to a post earlier than the immediate one. In my befuddled state I wondered why I kept reading duplicates. 'nuff said.:)

Cheers

If someone wishes to use the quote function then they will and you coming on here and kicking off because someone IS using it, is frankly rude and out of order.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member

...which, by the sound of things, have ended with zero agreement hence TUTV'S letter saying basically, "Go with Sky now". :eek:
  • Options
    Colin_LondonColin_London Posts: 12,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep - TUTVs negotiations with BT clearly came to nowt.

I don't believe BT have any intention of promoting DTT as a long term method of receiving BT Sport. It is only being used as a stopgap for their own customers until the TV Connect multicast service has been rolled out to sufficient exchanges. When that happens the DTT channels will get pulled.

Still, TUTV made a last bit of dosh by selling their customer list to Sky :D Pity the call centre reps however who must now see the writing on the wall :(

The TUTV business model is dead, overtaken by IPTV. R.I.P.!
  • Options
    1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep - TUTVs negotiations with BT clearly came to nowt.

I don't believe BT have any intention of promoting DTT as a long term method of receiving BT Sport. It is only being used as a stopgap for their own customers until the TV Connect multicast service has been rolled out to sufficient exchanges. When that happens the DTT channels will get pulled.

Still, TUTV made a last bit of dosh by selling their customer list to Sky :D Pity the call centre reps however who must now see the writing on the wall :(

The TUTV business model is dead, overtaken by IPTV. R.I.P.!

The call centre is outsourced so the reps probably handle other companies' work too. The loss-making French and Italian arms were sold a long time ago as was the software arm which I think Sky bought.

Peculiar phrasing of the TopUp TV answer on the BT website "BT Sport is available to BT Sport subscribers only". What about being available free to broadband customers?
    BT Sport Q&A
    Q. Will BT Sport be available on TopUp TV or similar services?
    A. BT Sport is available to BT Sport subscribers only, on BT TV, the Sky Digital Satellite Platform, and via the BT Sport App and btsport.com.
  • Options
    MJH1962MJH1962 Posts: 184
    Forum Member
    As I stated in previous posts, only to be shot down by others on this forum, there was never any incentive for BT to do a deal with TUTV, particularly as DTT broadcasts of its Sports channels is only going to be a short-term measure. Also, I suspect it would not wish TUTV to charge £42 per month for channels that it is selling direct for only £12 per month to Sky customers who don't want to take up BT Broadband.

I did a 12 month deal with Sky myself a couple of weeks ago and now get the whole HD / Sports package, including BT Sports & ESPN after launch, for substantially less per month than TUTV was charging for its sports offering. I've actually moved from BT Vision to get this (except for the broadband) and I'm only paying a small amount more than I was before. The deals are there to be had if you ask for them and you can re-evaluate again in 12 months time, when the landscsape will have changed even more.

By the way, I see TUTV's website is still advertising Sky Sports and ESPN, although you cannot actually process an order. It really is a disgrace that they are continuing to do this.