Hostages (Israeli TV series) on BBC4 from this Saturday

Comments

• davie1924davie1924 Posts: 2,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, looking forward to it, hope it maintains the high standard (with the exception of the God awful Montelbano) of BBC4 imported productions
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure many will like it, but the mere mention of the word "Hostages" in any drama, is an immediate turn-off for me, it's been used so many times.
  • itscoldoutsideitscoldoutside Posts: 3,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The link is broken

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hostages_(Israeli_TV_series))

Looks worth a watch thanks for making me aware of it.
  • scotchscotch Posts: 10,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been looking forward to this all day.
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This will be worth watching :D
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My mind is still tainted with that truly abysmal Dylan McDermott US remake. Even though I only saw a couple of eps Toni Collette's skeletal form and horse-teeth haunt my nightmares to this day.

I'll iPlayer it if you good folk give it the thumbs-up.
  • BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    My mind is still tainted with that truly abysmal Dylan McDermott US remake. Even though I only saw a couple of eps Toni Collette's skeletal form and horse-teeth haunt my nightmares to this day.

Was the US version a scene for scene remake?
  • fleetfleet Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So far so good. Ive not seen the US one, so I cant compare.
  • allie4allie4 Posts: 11,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Straker - my thumb's UP! :D:D (But don't ask where?!)
  • elfcurryelfcurry Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good so far.
  • fleetfleet Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I will definitely tune into the next episode!
  • davie1924davie1924 Posts: 2,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fair enjoyed that - will be tuning in again next week!!
  • allie4allie4 Posts: 11,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great cast, terrific suspense... no way I'm going to miss the next 2 eps!!! It's more a question of will I be able to last till then?
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    There were 4 balaclava types in the car but only 3 went into the house right??
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really enjoyed it. This is the first time I watch an Israeli tv series. Brilliant!
  • davordavor Posts: 6,874
    Forum Member
    Not bad at all.
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Given that each episode is just 40 mins with the credits the beeb really could have just edited them together. Easy enough with a bit of care.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    mike65 wrote: »
    Given that each episode is just 40 mins with the credits the beeb really could have just edited them together. Easy enough with a bit of care.

Maybe the contract BBC4 signed said they had to show them seperately
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    There were 4 balaclava types in the car but only 3 went into the house right??
    There are only 3 in the house, so I don't know where the 4th one is.

How was she supposed to get the poison on to the scalpel?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    tealady wrote: »

Maybe the 4th one was that blonde nurse/doctor who was threatening Yael
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I missed the first 20 mins, but he said a few drops on the scalpel is enough, I guess if she broke it onto a cotton wool bud or something she can wipe it on there.

I think its quite good and will watch next week, I hope they don't drag it out though.
  • willow32willow32 Posts: 660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I refused to watch the remake in the hope someone would buy the original. Well done BBC4.
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I missed the first 20 mins, but he said a few drops on the scalpel is enough, I guess if she broke it onto a cotton wool bud or something she can wipe it on there.
    But it would be noticed and would be very odd behaviour that no doubt would come under intense scrutiny in the event of the PMs death.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But it would be noticed and would be very odd behaviour that no doubt would come under intense scrutiny in the event of the PMs death.

Seeing as she has already managed to "slip" a pill into the PM which made him ill and smuggle poison into the hospital, I can't see it being noticed. She could do it before hand or in the operation.

In such an operation the theatre staff would not question her.

I find it a bit odd she was not under some sort of surveillance considering what she was doing the next day and the situation in the country.
  • humanracerhumanracer Posts: 1,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I prefer this to the US version, although I liked that too. The main female character is far stronger in this version. I think the idea is that the she is able to “hold it all together” and save her family in the face of terrorism. In the US version the main character, Ellen Sanders, came over as weak even when she attempted to stand up to the hostages. The main male character, Alex Rubin has more depth to his character than his US counterpart Duncan Carlisle. It will be interesting to see if they manage to turn Alex from an antagonist to protaganist like they did in the US version.

The US version was not a scene by scene remake but the big plot twist is essentially the same (I won't reveal it here).