DS Forums

Talksport Chat (Part 12)

Old 11-04-2015, 11:22
Computer
Forum Member

Yes, I tried to listen to Radio 5 Live's commentary on Aston Villa v QPR on Tuesday night via TuneIn, yet it was blocked on that platform. I'm not sure why this is, as I've listened to BBC national radio Premier League commentaries online before, as like talkSPORT they have online streaming rights to domestic club football games.

During the Cricket World Cup, I was frustrated that the BBC Radio 5 Live Sports Extra commentaries were being blocked on TuneIn - however as the tournament went on I discovered that their commentaries were available when listening to the same station via the BBC Sport app.

So I'm now wondering if BBC Radio - or at least Radio 5 Live and Sports Extra nationally - are blocking (some of) their commentaries on TuneIn and similar streaming services, perhaps in an effort for people to encourage people to download the relevant BBC apps.
I might be wrong, but I think it's to do with Geo-blocking. On their own apps they can stop people from outside the UK listening but they can't do that on tune-in and since they have UK commentary rights rather than worldwide, they probably have to block the tune-in app.
Computer is offline   Reply With Quote
Please sign in or register to remove this advertisement.
Old 11-04-2015, 14:32
The Difference
Forum Member

I might be wrong, but I think it's to do with Geo-blocking. On their own apps they can stop people from outside the UK listening but they can't do that on tune-in and since they have UK commentary rights rather than worldwide, they probably have to block the tune-in app.
That sounds plausible, thanks for that. talkSPORT only have UK radio rights for their Premier League commentaries, but from what listeners based outside of Europe have posted on here, at PL matchtimes the talkSPORT TuneIn feed will switch to the talkSPORT Live international PL service instead. I'm not sure what happens in the Republic of Ireland, which isn't covered by either talkSPORT's UK or international rights deal.
The Difference is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 21:32
jackyork
Forum Member

That sounds plausible, thanks for that. talkSPORT only have UK radio rights for their Premier League commentaries, but from what listeners based outside of Europe have posted on here, at PL matchtimes the talkSPORT TuneIn feed will switch to the talkSPORT Live international PL service instead. I'm not sure what happens in the Republic of Ireland, which isn't covered by either talkSPORT's UK or international rights deal.
I asked in the 5 Live thread last month these are the reply's I had

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackyork
Why am I getting this message?

'Thank you for choosing BBC Radio on the internet, unfortunately the current program on this station is unavailable, this is either due to contractual reasons or a temporary technical fault, please try again later'

It only happens when listening to the BBC.
Quote:

Originally Posted by droopsnout
It is the message that is sent over the net during programmes (sports commentaries notably) for which the Beeb doesn't have rights to stream outside the UK. These programmes are geolocked.

Were you listening abroad? If not, do you have a foreign IP address?
Quote:
Originally Posted by superbike999
Another possibility is that you have been trying to listen on one of the AAC higher quality streams, which the Beeb in their wisdom, have abolished. There has been uproar on the internet over the past month or so. The BBC claim that they have consulted radio manufacturers over the past 12 months, but most manufacturers dispute this and say they were not told of the full implications. There is a separate thread on the subject on this board, entitled:-

BBC AAC Flash streams

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2043578

Quote from post 76:-

Nick_G Well, I got a reply from Jim Simmons. It doesn't sound like good news though. Apparently the AAC streams were delivered via the same infrastructure as the WMA ones so they are going to be discontinued also. There will be streams of up to 320 kb/s available in the HLS and DASH formats. Unfortunately I don't think that is compatible with internet radios or hi-fi streaming devices.

So it looks like internet radio users will be stuck with the inferior MP3 streams. That's another reason not to switch FM off then...

The new streams have been updated on the excellent Radio Feeds, run by Vinnie Lo.
http://radiofeeds.co.uk/mp3.asp

They are not however AAC streams. The only one that has been reinstated is Radio 3.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackyork
No, not listening abroad or have foreign IP address.

jackyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 16:41
FrostyJim
Forum Member

Lmao! That "Agadoo" advert is the worst thing I've ever heard! It's hilarious. Imagine being the bloke who had to play that to Saggers for the first time!
FrostyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 22:01
The_Sleeper
Forum Member

Purple nuts will have been in bed since 20.30, but the main topic will be the green jacket, kompany should have seen red, & one other topic

dont worry jack, it wont be why no cardiff fans were at elland rd

2 out of three aint a bad guess
The_Sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2015, 18:10
The Difference
Forum Member

Lmao! That "Agadoo" advert is the worst thing I've ever heard! It's hilarious. Imagine being the bloke who had to play that to Saggers for the first time!
Have you heard the Shabba Ranks - Mr Loverman-themed Mark Saggers trailer? It's very, very funny, along with the "we want you in our rugby crew" Brian Moore's Full Contact one probably the best trail talkSPORT Creative have come up with for a long while. Fair play to Saggers for lending his voice to the trail and getting down with the kids! Hear me now!

PS. Thanks to Jack for the further information about BBC Radio geoblocking some of their sports commentaries on some online platforms but not others.
Old 13-04-2015, 21:56
jackyork
Forum Member

Purple nuts will have been in bed since 20.30, but the main topic will be the green jacket, kompany should have seen red, & one other topic

dont worry jack, it wont be why no cardiff fans were at elland rd

2 out of three aint a bad guess
Cardiff are our boogie team so the result was not a surprise. My son and two other boys he works with ( We are still producing new young Leeds fans ) went to the Cardiff game and spent the weekend in Leeds and he bought me a Leeds top.

That kid who won The Masters was outstanding, he didn't put a foot wrong and to lead every round was something else.

Any News !!!
Old 15-04-2015, 14:49
The_Sleeper
Forum Member

That kid who won The Masters was outstanding, he didn't put a foot wrong and to lead every round was something else.
Any News !!!
Didn't see much of the golf jack

Not heard a word, just hope he's alright !

Can anyone tell me wot porkys forfeit is, if Bournemouth get promoted, is it something to do with the english channel ???
Old 15-04-2015, 18:57
The Difference
Forum Member

Can anyone tell me wot porkys forfeit is, if Bournemouth get promoted, is it something to do with the english channel ???
He has to jump off Bournemouth Pier into the sea while dressed as a duck!
Old 15-04-2015, 20:53
jackyork
Forum Member

He has to jump off Bournemouth Pier into the sea while dressed as a duck!
Not much of a forfeit when you remember Mike was captain of his school's swimming team.
Old 16-04-2015, 08:46
Independence
Forum Member

Priceless quote from Cork this morning (09:40) :-

"if it's on Wikipedia it has to be right"
Independence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2015, 12:41
The_Sleeper
Forum Member

I'm just loving the new jingles on boozies show in the morning, I never knew Ven could belt a choon out like that, wot do you think Jack ?
Old 17-04-2015, 19:20
FrostyJim
Forum Member

Loved The Two Mikes this week. The new running joke of Porky mentioning the names of former colleagues during embarrassing stories, when he shouldn't, makes me laugh so much. Last week he started a story containing a certain someone and early on says "whose name I wont reveal", by the end he's saying "...then Bob comes crashing through the door, drunk out of his skull, with a hooker on his arm and gets into a fist fight." lol I was crying with laughter.

The quiz this week was ace too, with Porky cheating.
FrostyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2015, 17:20
The_Sleeper
Forum Member

Wonder if boozie, will stick the boot into Liverpool & Brendan Rodgers, not winning a trophy in 3 years ?

Bet he gets an easy ride in the morning from boozie, & as for my team Celtic, I'd sack the manager utterly clueless

the one good thing is that Quinns 2 teams got humped, & he wont be going on about Stevie G winning the cup on his birthday

I apologise to all the decent 'scouse & toon fans' that read this thread, its just Quinn & most of the people that post on here feel about him .........
Old 19-04-2015, 17:30
JT2060
Forum Member

Wonder if boozie, will stick the boot into Liverpool & Brendan Rodgers, not winning a trophy in 3 years ?

Bet he gets an easy ride in the morning from boozie, & as for my team Celtic, I'd sack the manager utterly clueless

the one good thing is that Quinns 2 teams got humped, & he wont be going on about Stevie G winning the cup on his birthday

I apologise to all the decent 'scouse & toon fans' that read this thread, its just Quinn & most of the people that post on here feel about him .........
Micky 'not to be seen until Saturday' Quinn as opposed to 'Micky 'all over the station Quinn' if they had won?

Er, I played for Wigan, smashing lads............................
JT2060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2015, 05:06
swfcforever
Forum Member

Whats the new Alan Brazil jingles all about with a woman singing?

I have to admit the woman singing, plus the instrumental at the start at 6am is so much better, same with 9am start I heard yesterday. Remind's me of a talk show in america for some reason
swfcforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2015, 05:18
Mark F
Forum Member

Andy Goldstien summed up the sort of big club fan that gets up people's back saying Bournemouth shouldn't be allowed to play at their own ground...because its unfair on the away fans.

So what if they get a small allocation - the Cherries would earn it on the pitch and in due course develop their ground if they can in the future to cater for the masses.

Might be wrong but clubs don't take 5/6k to away games anyway in the league?

Usually 4k max - maybe only 3k?
Mark F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2015, 21:21
The_Sleeper
Forum Member

Wot a pair of fa**ys ..........Goldstein & Cundy are , trying to talk about the josh meekins affair, goldberg, is almost making goofy, sound like radio gold !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! * Rolleyrs *
Old Today, 12:00
esteve
Forum Member

Listening via tune-in outside EU
Usually when there's a premier game on, it changes to live worldwide commentary
Has there been a change ?
I like match day live, one thing talksport do well
esteve is offline   Reply With Quote