Steve35 wrote: »
    Everything that rocks....apparently.
    Then they go and play Snow Patrol!!!:rolleyes::confused:

Did they follow this up with coldplay?
  • Options
    WillumWillum Posts: 1,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's guitar-led music from a rock band with mass appeal.

I'm trying to understand what the problem here is.

'Chasing Cars' was / is a very successful song, and if it remains so, then it would be sheer incompetence for Kerrang not to play it or similarly popular songs from this band.

It sounds as though Kerrang are doing exactly what they should be, so, I repeat, what's the problem?
  • Options
    Black CrowBlack Crow Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Niether are bands that someone who reads Kerrang magazine would consider as rock. And they would be right.
  • Options
    Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    I don't listen to the station much, but I heard Dog Days Are Over by Florence + the Machine on Kerrang! once, which shocked me.
  • Options
    Steve35Steve35 Posts: 2,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The evening shows are slightly better.
  • Options
    Steve35Steve35 Posts: 2,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Willum wrote: »

'Chasing Cars' was / is a very successful song, and if it remains so, then it would be sheer incompetence for Kerrang not to play it or similarly popular songs from this band.

It sounds as though Kerrang are doing exactly what they should be, so, I repeat, what's the problem?

:rolleyes::rolleyes:
  • Options
    Richard_TRichard_T Posts: 5,166
    Forum Member
    If you think that Kerrang radio ( daytime) will/should sound like the magazine, the your going to be dissapointed, as the daytime output is much more mainstream, and somewhat lighter than the evening stuff, and the magazine.
    Not that long ago they had a coldplay promotion running during the day.

As well as newer stuff theres also a large amount of classic rock, from the mid 1960s and sometimes a bit older still Chuck Berry and Johny Cash seem to be played quite a bit.
  • Options
    Ethan RayneEthan Rayne Posts: 607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only listen to Johnny Doom, he's class.
  • Options
    jaffboy151jaffboy151 Posts: 1,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We listen to kerrang a lot where i work and I have found the playlist moving wider towards the XFM direction, I like XFM so it's no hardship to me but not exactly hard rock like old, glad someone else has noticed though.. Realignment ready for merging with XFM or real xs??
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steve35 wrote: »
    :rolleyes::rolleyes:
    I think you and others have answered my earlier question.

The problem is one of your own making: you don't like something because it's popular.

Kerrang has to keep things fairly mainstream to ensure it attracts a reasonably large audience, or otherwise there is no commercial justification whatsoever for keeping it on-air.

If its audience is too small, or not comprised of a demographic that advertisers want to target, Kerrang will have to change or close.
  • Options
    Garry_McAuleyGarry_McAuley Posts: 440
    Forum Member
    Richard_T wrote: »
    If you think that Kerrang radio ( daytime) will/should sound like the magazine, the your going to be dissapointed, as the daytime output is much more mainstream, and somewhat lighter than the evening stuff, and the magazine.
    Not that long ago they had a coldplay promotion running during the day.

As well as newer stuff theres also a large amount of classic rock, from the mid 1960s and sometimes a bit older still Chuck Berry and Johny Cash seem to be played quite a bit.

Jimi Hendrix and Elvis too
  • Options
    andys cornerandys corner Posts: 1,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Snow patrol were much rockier in the early days, they have some material from before final straw that wouldn't sound out of place on kerrang
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kerrang probably need to play more female-friendly artists like Snow Patrol and Coldplay so that they can attract more 30-something females who would otherwise be listening to Heart.

So it kind of makes sense for Kerrang to overlap a bit with Heart so that Kerrang has more of an audience that the advertisers want. They probably don't want the sort of people who read the Kerrang magazine; they probably perceive it as too hardcore with piercings tattoos, and perhaps even Class-A drugs. Yuck!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Kerrang probably need to play more female-friendly artists like Snow Patrol and Coldplay so that they can attract more 30-something females who would otherwise be listening to Heart.

So it kind of makes sense for Kerrang to overlap a bit with Heart so that Kerrang has more of an audience that the advertisers want. They probably don't want the sort of people who read the Kerrang magazine; they probably perceive it as too hardcore with piercings tattoos, and perhaps even Class-A drugs. Yuck!

Funny cause that's what Kerrang's about, minus the last bit
  • Options
    JumbobonesJumbobones Posts: 1,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Careful now :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member

Strange you should say that, because at one time they were running a promotion for half price tattoos
  • Options
    Gary BrentonGary Brenton Posts: 642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It is one of the most depressing and annoying tracks I have personally ever heard....leave that style to repetitive formats such as Heart and other networked stations.
  • Options
    Gary BrentonGary Brenton Posts: 642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Pleasew let's not turn it into another 'Heart' friendly based station... it's just not kerrang.

I prefer XFM all the way to be honest.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Pleasew let's not turn it into another 'Heart' friendly based station... it's just not kerrang.

I prefer XFM all the way to be honest.

They tried that quite a few years ago and it fell straight on it's head not to mention losing a ton of listeners and I don't think long-time serving DJ Johnny Doom would let it happen either, I would think he'd have some influence on how the station is run seeing as I'm sure he's the only original and longest serving DJ on there as well
  • Options
    GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They tried that quite a few years ago and it fell straight on it's head not to mention losing a ton of listeners and I don't think long-time serving DJ Johnny Doom would let it happen either, I would think he'd have some influence on how the station is run seeing as I'm sure he's the only original and longest serving DJ on there as well

Loz Guest is the only presenter from the beginning I think, and he's been the main musical director since 2007 and now breakfast show host. He's the bloke with influence, and he did the evening shows for years.

Yes, it does play indie-rock throughout the daytime as well as classic rock. It mentions this in the trailers.
  • Options
    suffolkbluesuffolkblue Posts: 4,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It can't be any worse than dance station kiss playing that god awfull song from James Aurther.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jumbobones wrote: »
    Careful now :cool:
    Of what?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Loz Guest is the only presenter from the beginning I think, and he's been the main musical director since 2007 and now breakfast show host. He's the bloke with influence, and he did the evening shows for years.

Yes, it does play indie-rock throughout the daytime as well as classic rock. It mentions this in the trailers.

Nope, it's definitely also Johnny Doom, I remember him from the shows Full Metal Rocket and another I forget on Saturday late nights
  • Options
    x+yx+y Posts: 2,257
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like Kerrang have invested in a new presenter: http://radiotoday.co.uk/2013/03/kerrang-radio-hires-an-actual-real-dog-rockdog/ ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    slightly different line up today, Danielle perry has dissapeared, and standing in for Kate lawler was a new presenter called Simon Dale, who opened up by saying this is the osrt of stuff he has had to play over the last few years ( cheesy easy listening pop montage) then "Screw that, this is Kerrnag" plays AC/DC.