Renewed until 2018

bluemarsbluemars Posts: 70
Forum Member
hope they make some changes to show some of the reality.

Comments

• george.millmangeorge.millman Posts: 8,628
    Forum Member
    Yay! :D
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,980
    Forum Member
    Wasn't expecting that to be honest. I expected them to drop the civilian series but happy they haven't.
  • hownwbrowncowhownwbrowncow Posts: 6,188
    Forum Member
    Wow! That's quite a commitment. That would take us up to BB19.
  • erin_perin_p Posts: 25,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CHANNEL 5 RENEWS BIG BROTHER FOR THREE MORE YEARS

19-Mar-2015
    Extended deal with Endemol Shine UK to run through to end of 2018

London - Channel 5 has extended its UK rights deal for Big Brother with Endemol Shine UK for a further three years allowing it to continue airing its popular reality flagship until at least the end of 2018. Under the terms of the extended deal, Channel 5 will continue to broadcast two series of Celebrity Big Brother and one series of Big Brother each year, as well as associated programming, all produced by Endemol Shine UK label, Initial.

The renewal follows record ratings for the latest series of Celebrity Big Brother broadcast on Channel 5 in January, which attracted an average audience of 3.1 million per episode and an 11.4% share of viewing. Following the acquisition of Channel 5 by Viacom International Media Networks, repeats of Celebrity Big Brother also appeared on MTV UK and outperformed the channel’s all day average audience amongst 16-34s by almost 20%. More than 21 million viewers tuned into the series at least once across all VIMN-owned channels during the course of its run.

Paul Dunthorne, Channel 5’s Chief Operating Officer, who negotiated the deal extension on behalf of the broadcaster, said: “Big Brother in all its guises brings a huge and varied cross section of viewers to Channel 5 and typifies the appointment-to-view programming we want on the channel. It remains one of TV’s most talked about and popular programmes and I’m genuinely delighted we’ve secured it for at least three more years.”

Nick Samwell-Smith, Managing Director of Initial added: “Channel 5 is a fantastic home for Big Brother. Over the past four years we’ve worked closely together to keep this extraordinary format feeling fresh, noisy, and creatively vibrant. I’m thrilled that this landmark deal means we can look forward to three more years of big characters and juicy storylines from inside our favourite house.”

About Channel 5
    Channel 5 launched as Britain's fifth public service broadcaster in March 1997. It reaches 4 in 5 of the UK viewing public each month with a broad mix of popular content. Sister channels 5* and 5USA compliment Channel 5 with a mix of entertainment and US drama, while Demand 5 is a free catch service available across multiple platforms and devices. In 2014, Channel 5 was the only major commercial free-to-air network to grow audience share amongst all individuals, as well as 16 to 34-year-olds and ABC1 viewers.

About Big Brother
    After more than 15 years, Big Brother continues to be a worldwide hit and is locally produced in markets including the USA, UK, France, Germany, Australia, Italy, Spain, Canada and Israel, as well as in Latin America, Central and Eastern Europe, Scandinavia, Africa and Asia. In 2014, 24 series of Big Brother aired in over 70 countries.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,263
    Forum Member
    So it's considered a commercial success, even without 24/7 live feed.

Who'd a thought it. :D
  • KollKoll Posts: 3,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Happy about there being more CBB. I wouldn't have cared if the civilian series was dropped...they really have no clue how to pick good housemates and I can't see them ever making a civilian series on par with CBB.
  • Sun Tzu.Sun Tzu. Posts: 19,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They know how to make a proper CBB. The real challenge is this summer and so it should be judged on this summer, it's the best guide to judging Big Brother, the civilian series does matter.

But 3 million people on average for channel 5 is huge.
  • richie4evarichie4eva Posts: 217,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just a shame they don't put as much effort into the civilian series like with CBB

Every year with the civilian series, it just feels like they are having a bet amongst themselves to see if they can make each regular series nastier than the next

They will never be totally happy until they've had their own version of Fight Night they can brag about and now they've got it for 3 more years they may just succeed

It would be nice if we could get to know the 'normal' (and I use that term very loosely) people instead of the caricatures they think we want to see
  • jonloch1jonloch1 Posts: 3,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow! That's quite a commitment. That would take us up to BB19.

I find that a bit weird. they may as well do a BB20 then make a decision whether to axe or not. I wonder why they've just contracted it til BB19
  • RedOrDead36RedOrDead36 Posts: 1,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's nothing weirder than coming on a dedicated Big Brother Forum to moan "why do they have a civilian series?!"

Great news especially for the civilian BB, which I prefer.
  • Rufus KnightsRufus Knights Posts: 3,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All we need to do now is drop Rylan and the rest of the z-list/TOWIE brigade who we need to suffer on a nightly basis.
  • Fried KickinFried Kickin Posts: 60,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All we need to do now is drop Rylan and the rest of the z-list/TOWIE brigade who we need to suffer on a nightly basis.
    You're not wrong there. :cool:
  • Tall PaulTall Paul Posts: 8,786
    Forum Member
    You're not wrong there. :cool:

As if channel 5 and endemol will care, all their bothered about is bleeding the consumers dry of their hard earned cash by voting and using tactics to manipulate viewers to watch the show more. Have to say big brother is a lot more manipulated on channel 5 than on channel 4.

All of this I think attributes to not very much live feed really, then again channel 5 don't think it's popular enough and when ofcom are bombarded with complaints the chances of having live feed on air are very slim.

We need some management staff of endemol and channel 5 to leave really as their inept at their jobs. Then again endemol knew they were gonna have a pay cut when they moved to channel 5 and big brother on channel 5 would be a cost cut affair.

This is probably why the show now is cheap and nasty, cannot see it changing much. The only way we're gonna get the show we want is by complaining or just not watching the show anymore. Those are our two options.
  • Tall PaulTall Paul Posts: 8,786
    Forum Member
    richie4eva wrote: »
    Just a shame they don't put as much effort into the civilian series like with CBB

Every year with the civilian series, it just feels like they are having a bet amongst themselves to see if they can make each regular series nastier than the next

They will never be totally happy until they've had their own version of Fight Night they can brag about and now they've got it for 3 more years they may just succeed

It would be nice if we could get to know the 'normal' (and I use that term very loosely) people instead of the caricatures they think we want to see

With Richard Desmond out of the picture we should start seeing less of the northern and shell influence of the show and more of viacom. Northern and shell didn't do bb any good at all and endemol had their hands so so tied that they couldn't listen to our concerns.

Hate channel 5s couldn't care less approach to the show, it is giving us viewers a slap in the face as if we're not important. What all of us need to do is post in written complaints to the fan mail address. That'll kick the backside of the management of channel 5 and endemol.

All they want is story lines really and drama. Trouble is they've destroyed a show that once had a feel good factor about it and decided to make it worse really. I don't even know if some of the production staff are all that qualified really to be working behind the big brother scenes, if their are production team members who've lied on their CVs then that explains everything.

What bb needs are a stronger more creative production team with purpose and intent, this lot are pretty weak really.