Options

Why does my macbook stop downloading torrents when it goes to sleep?

mizhogmizhog Posts: 970
Forum Member
✭✭
i like to download torrents overnight but they seem to stall and stop when the computer goes to sleep...how do i make the carry on downloading..ive checked the settings and I'm stumped??
I'm using bitterness and vuze
anyone know?

Comments

• Options
    RoushRoush Posts: 4,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edit: sorry, missed the client info

I know uTorrent has an option to prevent sleep when transfers are active. Not sure about other clients though.

Alternatively, disable sleep in the system preferences.
  • Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't you just set the screen to turn off but not let the computer go into standby?

Or just get this if you want to control it easily from a menu bar icon.
  • Options
    RoushRoush Posts: 4,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another option would be to use the caffeinate command to launch your client. Executed with the -s option this would launch your client and prevent sleeping (provided you are on AC power) until the client is closed.

https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/man8/caffeinate.8.html

I'd only recommend doing it this way if you can't find a client you like with the option built-in though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i installed caffeine and it didnt do anything..it still stopped the downloads in vuze
  • Options
    ba_baracusba_baracus Posts: 3,236
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mizhog wrote: »
    i installed caffeine and it didnt do anything..it still stopped the downloads in vuze

Did you click the icon in the menu bar to turn it on? The coffee cup should go dark and will have steam coming off it when it is active.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ba_baracus wrote: »
    Did you click the icon in the menu bar to turn it on? The coffee cup should go dark and will have steam coming off it when it is active.

yes i did that
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 386
    Forum Member
    you should download coffee its a good way to stop your mac from going to sleep