Options

SURVIVORS - BBC Remake (merged)

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,242
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I am so made up they are redoing this. I saw the original (on video I think) because my Mum made me watch it! LOL!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2008/05_may/30/survivors.shtml

I saw some of the original series more recently on Youtube and thought it had really dated. So - ready for a remake I think cos it's a great story.

The cast looks very good. Can't wait! :)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What slot do we think it will get? Is it 7.00pm on a Saturday night material, or more a weeknight at 9.00pm? I think it could work very well on a Sunday night actually - traditionally associated with big audiences.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I imagine it would be post watershed. The material is a bit strong for kids.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,796
    Forum Member
    I have DVDs of the original series, it is a bit dated but the story holds up well. Terry Nations Idea was How would modern man cope when stripped of all civilising influences and comforts, in one scene 2 survivors discuss the fact that they can't even make something as simple as a candle. This theme is probably more relevant today. Hope they don't f**k it up, the remake that is not the candle lol.
  • Options
    Channel HopperChannel Hopper Posts: 15,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It has been suggested that Hollywood are redoing Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

Bound to be worse than the original Survivors.

Can't the studios employ scriptwriters able to pen something original ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have DVDs of the original series, it is a bit dated but the story holds up well. Terry Nations Idea was How would modern man cope when stripped of all civilising influences and comforts, in one scene 2 survivors discuss the fact that they can't even make something as simple as a candle. This theme is probably more relevant today. Hope they don't f**k it up, the remake that is not the candle lol.

BBC dramas have been absolutely brilliant of late. I think it will bring the story to a whole new generation of people who certainly would never watch the original.

It was very old school BBC with some "terribly terribly" posh people.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 33,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gosh, they have alot to live up to. In its time the programme was scarey as hell with an even scarier theme tune that used to make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up in horror.....

This was one of those "hide behind the cushion" shows back then...... of course today it looks a bit more tame.....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must admit I didn't have to hide behind the sofa - but it was fascinating. I think the remake will be good because it's a good story. It had a good narrative flow to it which is why you had to keep watching.

When I watched bits on Youtube, even though the acting style was really dated (It made me cringe), I still wanted to keep watching to see what happened next.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting thread here about the new Survivors. :)

http://www.majesticscificentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=493
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 161
    Forum Member
    What is it about?
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I think they should DEFINITELY do Blake's 7 as well at some point. It could be the British equivalent of Battlestar Galactica (i.e. a bloody amazing adult sci-fi drama). That's what I would aim for anyway. It's supposed to be being developed for Sky at the moment but who knows whether it will happen. Colin Salmon and Daniela Nardini should be in it (they were in the Blake's 7 radio thing that happened last year)
  • Options
    davidsevendavidseven Posts: 3,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh Dear God No! Another brilliant series to be remade into a tepid dumbed down 'modern' version.

Why not show the original? Perhaps because it's it isn't balanced?, not enough black, gay, disabled, and all the other PC views that have emasculated TV drama in the last decade.

And I fear Blakes 7 would end up the same, With the witty dialogue and political sharpness replaced with storylines suitable for 7 year olds and too much CGI a la the Welsh Dr Who.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zoltan! wrote: »
    What is it about?

A virus wipes out most of civilisation. So there are no police, hospitals, schools, electricity, water etc. etc. etc.

A small handful of survivors come together to try and rebuild their lives....

I should write for the Radio Times! LOL!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 161
    Forum Member
    suzzle wrote: »
    A virus wipes out most of civilisation. So there are no police, hospitals, schools, electricity, water etc. etc. etc.

A small handful of survivors come together to try and rebuild their lives....

I should write for the Radio Times! LOL!

Cheers, sounds quite interesting.
    Sounds a bit like Jericho (RIP) which I loved
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any news when this is going to be on?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This was sooooooooo frightening back inthe 70's, it stands out as the best drama in my mind, and there was another involving electricity pylons which terrified me...

I really the 70's had some classic dramas, when the Boat come in,Bouquet of barbed Wire, I Claudius etc... but SURVIVORS makes me go cold...bring it on
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    beebo wrote: »
    This was sooooooooo frightening back inthe 70's, it stands out as the best drama in my mind, and there was another involving electricity pylons which terrified me...

I really the 70's had some classic dramas, when the Boat come in,Bouquet of barbed Wire, I Claudius etc... but SURVIVORS makes me go cold...bring it on

Tripods? Well scarey but cancelled after the first season for being too expensive, I think.
    Survivors had several series and got a bit feeble towards the end, but the first couple of series were brill.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    beebo wrote: »

...you're thinking of The Changes

I love dystopian seventies sci-fi, I does...:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    badnono wrote: »
    ...you're thinking of The Changes

I love dystopian seventies sci-fi, I does...:)

Spot on - thanks for that, I 've spent the past 30 yrs describing the prog as the ones 'with pylons in'...still don't like pylons...:(
  • Options
    brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    suzzle wrote: »
    The material is a bit strong for kids.
    Especially the opening title sequence. Chilling.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't know how accurate it is but IMDB has it down for October. Ooh Ooh! Not long! :)
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tostig wrote: »
    Tripods? Well scarey but cancelled after the first season for being too expensive, I think.
    Survivors had several series and got a bit feeble towards the end, but the first couple of series were brill.
    Tripods was cancelled after the second series so the 3rd book was never filmed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    I remember watching survivors as a kid with my mum. It was a great series and I hope that the remake is as good.
  • Options
    bobmeadesbobmeades Posts: 1,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I understand the NEW Survivors has drumbeats AKA BBC news as part of the opening music......not too promising!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,796
    Forum Member
    bobcar wrote: »
    Tripods was cancelled after the second series so the 3rd book was never filmed.
    Which is a shame as its the best part of the trilogy.:(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    I've seen the first episode of the new version and I think it's really good - it sticks close to the premise of the original, and features many of the same characters, but feels less bleak. More here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thecultureshow/2008/09/survivors-1975-and-2008.html

I've avoided any spoilers in my blog entry.