Moto G Versus iPhone 5c

Comments

• 27yffuh27yffuh Posts: 405
    Forum Member
    might be tempted to get one at £135 :)
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://crave.cnet.co.uk/mobiles/motorola-moto-g-first-press-shot-revealed-50012698/

"white, hot pink, luminous turquoise and regal blue."

www.moto-g.com/
    Maybe exclusive to Phones 4u on Wednesday
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00ECBREB6/

Amazona are asking £159 with a "Pre-order Price Guarantee".

"Sharpest 4.5 HD screen
    All day quad core speed
    Advanced Android with guaranteed upgrade
    Personalize coloured backs"

In a sort of way it sounds like a straight Nexus 4 replacement, with no LTE too !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57611748-94/moto-g-mistakenly-posted-to-amazon-uk-swiftly-taken-down

Was that another marketing gimmick?
    Like the N5 is seen as a budget LG G2 this is being seen as a budget Moto X.
  • kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00ECBREB6/

Amazona are asking £159 with a "Pre-order Price Guarantee".

"Sharpest 4.5 HD screen
    All day quad core speed
    Advanced Android with guaranteed upgrade
    Personalize coloured backs"

In a sort of way it sounds like a straight Nexus 4 replacement, with no LTE too !

Wonder what "all day quad core speed" and "advanced android with guaranteed upgrade means"?
  • swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    8gb will be very upsetting in 2013 :mad: as almost certainly no sd support
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    kidspud wrote: »
    Wonder what "all day quad core speed" and "advanced android with guaranteed upgrade means"?

'd guess all day Quad Core Speed means that it's got a decent battery life on it even in use and the guaranteed updates must mean it will get a certain number of guaranteed updates from Google/Motorola
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    The Moto G will come in at a price of 159.99 pounds ($255), according to the Amazon UK page. It will feature 16GB of RAM, a 4.5-inch HD display, and a quad-core processor.

Blimey :D:p

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57611748-94/moto-g-mistakenly-posted-to-amazon-uk-swiftly-taken-down/
    Forum Member
    Good if indeed 16gb, the leaked phones 4 u add quoted 8gb which would be frankly ridiculous.
  • qasdfdsaqqasdfdsaq Posts: 3,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of RAM? Of course it's ridiculous. Anything over 2GB is pointless.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    qasdfdsaq wrote: »

Maybe they are getting ready for 64bit architecture :)
    Forum Member
    You think it's a possibility that the Moto G will be 64 bit? No I think your getting a little confused here :)
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    qasdfdsaq wrote: »
    Surely they mean storage. i.e. the slow Flash memory rather then the internal fast DRAM.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swordman wrote: »
    You think it's a possibility that the Moto G will be 64 bit? No I think your getting a little confused here :)

Whoosh. Right over the top of your head;)
    Forum Member
    Much like everything you say spuddie, perhaps we might get later some more bewildering facts on the amazing s4 price drops. That's always amusing and seems to fit into any thread :)
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swordman wrote: »
    Good if indeed 16gb, the leaked phones 4 u add quoted 8gb which would be frankly ridiculous.

Why would 8gb of RAM be ridiculous? And why do you need 16gb of RAM? I'm pretty sure the moto G will be 32 bit so the maximum it can address is 4gb anyway.
    Forum Member
    I think it pretty obvious (at least one would hope) that the article when referring to RAM means storage. I assumed that was obvious and my reference to 8gb/16gb was in the context of storage.

I don't think we shall see a phone with 16gb of RAM for a while yet :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This seems to be more pure Android c/w a Kitkat upgrade by the new year.

"saying it's the “best in class” and pointing out that its 329ppi pixel density is higher than what you get on an Apple iPhone 5S."
    The 'best in class' seems to exclude the HD phones so I guess it is the sub £200 class.
    I'd assume you can buy different coloured back panels for it.

A major fail is that apparently, the SD slot is missing. Unusual for a Motorola phone.
    Forum Member
    probably not now Google have snapped them up, the X didn't have one.

Still 16gb for £159 is very very good for this phone.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, £160 is the 16GB price.
    The 8GB one for £130.

So is the smaller lower resolution 5c worth another £300+ ?

BTW that 'all-day' thingy refers to the high 14 hour talk time, amongst maybe other things.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Yes, £160 is the 16GB price.
    The 8GB one for £130.

So is the smaller lower resolution 5c worth another £300+ ?

BTW that 'all-day' thingy refers to the high 14 hour talk time, amongst maybe other things.

I can't imagine those that are buying cheap smartphones and those buying apple products are the same market.
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    kidspud wrote: »
    I can't imagine those that are buying cheap smartphones and those buying apple products are the same market.

Mr and Mrs Smith could buy a 16GB Moto G each and still have approx £150 cash in their hands compared to buying one 5C. Even aspirational idiots will eventually have a light bulb moment, you would suspect.

Perhaps you could tell me where the extra £300 has been spent on the 5C compared to the Moto G? B*ggered if I can see it.

http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=5831&idPhone2=5690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    konebyvax wrote: »
    Mr and Mrs Smith could buy a 16GB Moto G each and still have approx £150 cash in their hands compared to buying one 5C. Even aspirational idiots will eventually have a light bulb moment, you would suspect.

Perhaps you could tell me where the extra £300 has been spent on the 5C compared to the Moto G? B*ggered if I can see it.

Then as I've already said, mr and mrs smith are not in the market for an iPhone.

I do like that you consider anyone who doesn't agree to be an idiot. :rolleyes:

Having not held or used either device I couldn't tell you if I consider one to be of higher quality and worth the extra. However, I wouldn't judge on specs, as that is shown so often to be one of the worst measures.
  • TheSlothTheSloth Posts: 18,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    konebyvax wrote: »

Perhaps you could tell me where the extra £300 has been spent on the 5C compared to the Moto G?

The people who'd buy an iPhone 5c over a Moto G are the same type of people who buy headphones endorsed by rap artists - the fact a decent alternative exists at a much lower price is immaterial as they believe it's a status symbol. Their Filofax owning forefathers will be proud! :D

The 5c is a pink/lime/yellow/blue/white elephant of a device - a budget phone at a premium price. I'd rather have it the other way around. So would the general public, if sales forecasts are to be believed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TheSloth wrote: »
    The people who'd buy an iPhone 5c over a Moto G are the same type of people who buy headphones endorsed by rap artists - the fact a decent alternative exists at a much lower price is immaterial as they believe it's a status symbol. Their Filofax owning forefathers will be proud! :D

The 5c is a pink/lime/yellow/blue/white elephant of a device - a budget phone at a premium price. I'd rather have it the other way around. So would the general public, if sales forecasts are to be believed.

Maybe people who buy iPhones just have more disposable income than those that buy cheap android phones? This stereotyping game is easy:)