Options

Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency (2016)

KrommKromm Posts: 6,180
Forum Member
BBCA acquired the rights to this and remade it. Yes, its only been 4 years since the last stab at it on BBC4 with Stephen Mangan.

To justify the American $ tossed into it, while Dirk himself remains British, his associate is now American (and from the side of the road being driven on its probably Dirk in the US). Thankfully the American associate is Elijah Wood, so at least it's not a total waste using that approach. Also, despite airing on BBCA, it is actually a production of AMC. In other words the people who make The Walking Dead (and formerly Mad Men), as well as the current excellent adaptation of Preacher.

Trailer: https://youtu.be/Gv42Tjhvrgs - appears to a region unblocked copy

Comic-Con Panel: https://youtu.be/KjZsufJZk_Y - also shouldn't be blocked

8 episode commitment.

No information on when or if it will be shown in the UK.

Comments

• Options
    KrommKromm Posts: 6,180
    Forum Member
    Listening to the panel discussion I actually like the writer's explanation of why this is so different from the books/previous version of Dirk Gently. In a nutshell, that Douglas Adams books work as books because it's Adams voice, and the only way he feels an adaptation would work well is if it doesn't ape Adams too completely (because it will fail).

Part of this no doubt is simply an excuse for moving the whole thing (short of Dirk's nationality) over to America, but he might actually have a point.
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I heard about this a few months ago and it sounds good. Even if i am not entirely a fan of Elijah wood

I might check out the short lived UK version of the show done a while ago to get an idea of what the show could be.
  • Options
    ElloryBElloryB Posts: 68
    Forum Member
    I might check out the short lived UK version of the show done a while ago to get an idea of what the show could be.

I really enjoyed the UK version – sort of strange but wonderful. I'm looking forward to giving this version a try when/if it gets picked up in the UK.
  • Options
    MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    I really liked the UK version that was shown on BBC4 but it was a pity that it didn't get picked up for any more episodes than the 4 episodes!

I will also be giving the US version a chance myself and hopefully it lives up to the UK version

Am I correct in saying that the US version is only 8 episodes at the moment?
  • Options
    MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    Sorry just read the OP comment about it being 8 episodes which is a decent start for me especially when tv shows like Preacher get 10 episodes on AMC

So it starts on BBC America on October 22nd which isn't long to wait!

Although after previous experience of shows like Orphan Black on BBC America which had big delays after being first shown in the US and then eventually making it to BBC3 and now Netflix

This has got me very concerned about it being picked up in the UK as I would assume that like Orphan Black it's first run rights are held by BBC so it depends if they decide to show it straight away or mess around with it like Orphan Black!
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It;s a pity that the BBC (UK) version was given such short shrift. I watched them again last year and they were even better on the second viewing as the Douglas Adams version of Dirk (who is nothing like Mangan's portrayal) was replaced in my head.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Netflix have been confirmed to pick this up to air outside the US for a december release.
  • Options
    Hamlet77Hamlet77 Posts: 22,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I keep reading about this, but as a fan of the books, I just can't get too enthusiastic about another attempt to put it on screen.

Sorry.
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ep1

Well that was extremely weird even for a Dirk Gently plot :D

Not sure about Dirk himself yet though.

Nice that
    the Sofa and Thor
    get a mention :)
  • Options
    MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    Two episodes in and I am finding utterly, utterly wonderful.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MoreTears wrote: »
    Two episodes in and I am finding utterly, utterly wonderful.

Just watched Ep2.

Interesting and very different backstory they are seemingly going with for Dirk.
  • Options
    gkabcgkabc Posts: 2,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have no experience with the novel, as this is not my type of subject matter, but I am enjoying the series after 2 episodes. Did not think I would keep watching, but it has kept my interest, and I enjoy the comedy element mixed with the insanity.

I do wonder if Elijah Wood is becoming this "type" of character. It's not much of a departure for him from 'Wilfred' or for that matter even 'The Good Son'. Maybe his doe eyes just require he is always cast as a reluctant participant.
  • Options
    munkyfellovermunkyfellover Posts: 2,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't stand it, Dirk's so annoying.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dirk's so annoying.

He's either got less so as the series goes on or I'm becoming desensitized to it (probably the latter). :D

I'm finding the Holistic Assassin to be more annoying.

Bit of a shock death in the latest episode (5th) thought that character would be around till the end.

Pity they've lost the Kitten that is one useful weapon to have handy. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Finally got around to watching this

Not keen on it really. Haven't found it funny. Haven't found it entertaining

And my god, i hate the title character with a passion. And if you don't like the title character, that's normally a sign to jump ship. He's like the love child of Miranda Hart and Simon Bird.