Options

Billions

davewooddavewood Posts: 182
Forum Member
Two episodes aired so far, starring Paul Giamatti and Damian Lewis. Lovin' it.
Opinions?

Comments

• Options
    MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    davewood wrote: »
    Two episodes aired so far, starring Paul Giamatti and Damian Lewis. Lovin' it.
    Opinions?

I thought the pilot was just okay. The second episode was a big improvement. Really looking forward to further episodes now.
  • Options
    Jim SJim S Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    Really enjoying this.

Well writen & great cast.

Looking forward to the next episode.
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really enjoying it. More than I thought I would.

This is bound to be a major contender for the next Emmy's.
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep I can't remember the last series that started this well for me other than the wire. I know it's way too early to really draw comparisons with that but I'm totally gripped now
  • Options
    MR_PitkinMR_Pitkin Posts: 30,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's too many complicated trading references and American pop culture comparisons, I find it too distracting.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    Really enjoying Billions. Big fan of Paul Giamatti since The Illusionist. Thought a lot of the jargon used might put me off but it hasn't at all. There's enough development around the 2 main characters. But of course the two main heavyweights are the stars. You get an idea of their big personalities early on. Just 3 episodes in. I'd say it's a very good grown up version of the cat and mouse genre.
  • Options
    primosprimosprimosprimos Posts: 1,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really enjoying it. More than I thought I would.

This is bound to be a major contender for the next Emmy's.

REALLLLLLLLLLLY?

Okay, then.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GreenShell wrote: »
    Really enjoying Billions. Big fan of Paul Giamatti since The Illusionist. Thought a lot of the jargon used might put me off but it hasn't at all.

Yeah I'm comfortable with the jargon so far (at least there's been nothing I needed to google) so it's not bothered me any more that having to learn what points on the package meant in you know what.

The sheer depth of the characters and writing excuses a lot of pretension
  • Options
    CPW4EVERCPW4EVER Posts: 2,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MR_Pitkin wrote: »
    There's too many complicated trading references and American pop culture comparisons, I find it too distracting.

It's not one to watch with a hangover as I found out to my detriment as so much of the episode went over my head when it came to the business stuff.

I think the cast is strong and once they don't stray too far away from the central premise of Axelrod vs Rhoades, they should be fine. I'm looking forward to seeing how Malin Akerman develops as Lara. From the three episodes I've seen so far, she's proving to be something of a Lady Macbeth type.
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Last two episodes have been a bit boring to be honest. In future, I am going to keep my mouth shut in future and not praise a show so well. I did it with Mr Robot last time and I dropped that before the season was out. Another show with promising episodes but disappeared up it's own arse as it went along.
  • Options
    munkyfellovermunkyfellover Posts: 2,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Episode 4 and 5 have been far from boring.
  • Options
    zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Last two episodes have been a bit boring to be honest. In future, I am going to keep my mouth shut in future and not praise a show so well. I did it with Mr Robot last time and I dropped that before the season was out. Another show with promising episodes but disappeared up it's own arse as it went along.
    I have a feeling that Mr Robot is one of those series that if you can make it to the end you'll immediately want to go back and rewatch it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member

Agree with Mr. Robot but Billions hasn't dropped off, for me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Episode 4 and 5 have been far from boring.

Yeah for me personally episode 5 was probably the best so far, certainly easier to follow now. I'm not sure if that was a result of the plot lines being a bit simpler (which might be why it's boring some) or if I'm just clearer as to what's going on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Given its early renewal for a second season, I was hoping for more of a cliffhanger ending.
  • Options
    kempshottkempshott Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Given its early renewal for a second season, I was hoping for more of a cliffhanger ending.

Season 1 hasn't finished yet.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billions_%28TV_series%29#Episodes
  • Options
    MaccaMacca Posts: 18,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought there were 2 more episodes to go.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kempshott wrote: »
    Maccadanny wrote: »
    I thought there were 2 more episodes to go.

Yes, I was under the assumption that this was a 10 episode season, don't know where I'd picked that up from.:blush:
  • Options
    nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    MoreTears wrote: »
    I thought the pilot was just okay. The second episode was a big improvement. Really looking forward to further episodes now.

Do stick with it. We're watching at US pace, and it gets really good. Splendid acting by all, and a few clever twists.
  • Options
    MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    Do stick with it. We're watching at US pace, and it gets really good. Splendid acting by all, and a few clever twists.

The comment you quote was made a while ago. I have seen all ten episodes so far. It is an outstanding series. Among my favourites.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a dull penultimate episode that was, worst in the season so far. Kinda wish they had finished it last week now like I thought 😆.
    Here's hoping for a good finale next week.
  • Options
    gkabcgkabc Posts: 2,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think it's been an all around great series, but it has had potential. It seems to kind of wander around aimless at times, with no point. Hopefully it ends strong enough with the audience that next year they commission more coherent writing. I'm guessing the cliffhanger is going to be Axe on the ropes in some sense, and Wendy having to choose between Chuck and Axe, and Axe having a choice between Wendy and his wife.
  • Options
    munkyfellovermunkyfellover Posts: 2,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a dull penultimate episode that was, worst in the season so far. Kinda wish they had finished it last week now like I thought 😆.
    Here's hoping for a good finale next week.

But...but...but, what he read on her laptop! I think I must be the only person on this board who still loves this, Vinyl and Saul.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I must be the only person on this board who still loves this

You're not the only one.

I didn't mind the calm before the storm episode, it's almost a prerequisite these days and set up the inevitable choice that Wendy will have to face quite nicely
  • Options
    NihongaNihonga Posts: 10,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But...but...but, what he read on her laptop! I think I must be the only person on this board who still loves this, Vinyl and Saul.

Love Billions.:D Vinyl is still interesting to me even though I can understand people giving up on it. I loved Lester Grimes doing that E.B.A chord scene and the Nasty Bits jigging up one of his songs later on - it's moments like those that make Vinyl worth watching.

As for Billions, this last episode was packed full of quiet, understated character drama, it is easy to dismiss it as uneventful. It's a miracle Wendy stays so calm most of the time.