Options

Chris and Jayne's "new Bolero"

2»

Comments

• Options
    ButterflygirlButterflygirl Posts: 779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It would've been even better if they'd kept the camera on them rather than keep cutting to the orchestra!

I quite agree, also my Mum asked me to mention it here too!

I was fuming. I was watching Dancing on Ice not 'orchestra'! When you've seen one harp you've seen them all.

I thought the bolero was fab though.
  • Options
    kayceekaycee Posts: 12,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was very clever, but didn't do much for me. If it hadn't have been for the music, it would have had nothing to do with the bolero at all - they might as well have used different music which would have probably have suited it better.

I'd have been happy if they'd kept the cameras on Andre Rieu and his orchestra!
  • Options
    IgnazioIgnazio Posts: 18,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Veri wrote: »
    I thought this might be a thread about how disappointed people were, that it was just a flying version. I'm amazed that people liked it, especially if they don't normally like the flying.

I was certainly disappointed after the buildup to see it was just some flying :yawn: tacked on to some ice dancing of the sort we've seen many times from them before. :yawn:

Looks like a lot of the complaints about the flying aren't really about the flying at all, but only about the sorts of flying routines we get from the celebs.
    I wasn't in the least enthralled.
  • Options
    Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fair play to them for taking a risk and trying to do something different. However I don't think it worked.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 385
    Forum Member
    Tiger Rose wrote: »
    Fair play to them for taking a risk and trying to do something different. However I don't think it worked.

I agree. I totally adore T&D, but the routine, clever as it was, didn't do it for me at all.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 55
    Forum Member
    I think I'm all bolero'd out. Please can we have a different T & D dance next year?????
  • Options
    kayceekaycee Posts: 12,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pinklou wrote: »
    I think I'm all bolero'd out. Please can we have a different T & D dance next year?????

YES YES YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Absolutely loved it! However, nothng will ever come close to watching the original one for 1984 Olympics, it was breathtaking and when all the 6s came up brought tears to my eyes!
  • Options
    robbies_galrobbies_gal Posts: 32,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    same here chris about the olympics i was only 9 but remember whoopping with my family when they done that dance it was unforgettable

hey why dont they start doing lets the face the music that was a goodun
  • Options
    samiskimsamiskim Posts: 1,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The flying bolero didn't do it for me and after over 20 years the "Bolero" routine is a bit stale. It was incredible to see it all those years ago - but are Torville and Dean going to end up like those old Musici Hall Acts who kept on pedalling their "party piece"?

Next year please give us something fresh and new and lower the noise levels.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 385
    Forum Member
    I would love them to do Barnum next year instead
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would love them to do Barnum next year instead

Great idea, the contestants could go to town on that one too!

I was a lot older than nine when I watched their Olympic Bolero!;)
  • Options
    CANDYANGELCANDYANGEL Posts: 21,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chris1347 wrote: »
    Great idea, the contestants could go to town on that one too!

I was a lot older than nine when I watched their Olympic Bolero!;)

I was 3 months away from being born :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I applaud their efforts to do something different but it didn't really work for me. I'd love to see a change from Bolero next year.
  • Options
    nancy1975nancy1975 Posts: 19,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm late with this as have been away but I loved it. I could never have imagined that a 50something Torvill and Dean would be doing a trapeze version of Bolero!

BTW, is there really a need for all the negativity? Always negativity now, even about such fine artists, and I think it's depressing. I thought it was beautiful. I can assure you it's hard and I thought Jayne in particular was amazing. It needs totally different muscles to just skating and to learn them at a comparatively late age is bloody impressive to say the least.
  • Options
    Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was at the show on Thursday night and the Bolero on silks routine is far more impressive in an arena than it came across on TV:)

They got a standing ovation for it:)
  • Options
    CP30CP30 Posts: 6,595
    Forum Member
    Patti-Ann wrote: »
    I was at the show on Thursday night and the Bolero on silks routine is far more impressive in an arena than it came across on TV:)

They got a standing ovation for it:)
    I saw the show Sunday and agree, when you see it live it is quite breathtaking. They move from air to ice seamlessly and the final move is actually almost too scary to watch.:eek:

I've followed ice skating for many years and have to say that I love to see T&D perform true ice dance routines. But they have to move with the times. The DOI audience is a different audience to an ice skating competition audience and I believe they have adapted to such requirements with great skill and professionalism.

On the television I was impressed with the new Bolero but not particularly excited by it, but when I saw it live it was totally amazing.:D
  • Options
    tvqueen1905tvqueen1905 Posts: 82,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i am in the process of uploading their bolero to youtube will post it later
  • Options
    tvqueen1905tvqueen1905 Posts: 82,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Torvil and Deans amazing new bolero

enjoy :)

rest of my vids also on my channel
  • Options
    CP30CP30 Posts: 6,595
    Forum Member
    Torvil and Deans amazing new bolero

enjoy :)

rest of my vids also on my channel
    Thanks for that. :) Does capture some of the atmosphere. Wish I could see it again live.