Options

Phoenix Nights - 10 Years On

Comments

• Options
    DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You could just as easily look at what Dave Spikey has done since and say that all of the funny lines in Phoenix Nights were written by Peter Kay and Neil Fitzmaurice, or look at what Neil Fitzmaurice has done since and say that all of the funny lines in Phoenix Nights were written by Peter Kay and Dave Spikey, as none of them have done anything of the same quality since. The more sensible explanation is that the three of them working together was much better than any of them individually, and all three were hugely important in creating the show.

Dave Spikey's made me laugh far more in the intervening years than Peter Kay. Looking on IMDB, none of them have written much for TV (barely anything from NF). PK's just written Max & Paddy and the godawful X-Factor spoof (you can't spoof something that already lampoons itself, which is why it fell so flat) and DS has spent most of his time on tour, but also wrote Dead Man Weds (which ITV binned after one series) and a pilot for Magnolia on the BBC. I'd have loved more from both of those, especially DMW which was really a Channel 4-type show so it's a shame they didn't pick it up.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DVDfever wrote: »
    Dave Spikey's made me laugh far more in the intervening years than Peter Kay. Looking on IMDB, none of them have written much for TV (barely anything from NF). PK's just written Max & Paddy and the godawful X-Factor spoof (you can't spoof something that already lampoons itself, which is why it fell so flat) and DS has spent most of his time on tour, but also wrote Dead Man Weds (which ITV binned after one series) and a pilot for Magnolia on the BBC. I'd have loved more from both of those, especially DMW which was really a Channel 4-type show so it's a shame they didn't pick it up.

There has been some good stuff from Dave Spikey since, but nothing close to Phoenix Nights, and I haven't seen anything to suggest that any of the three of them would be able to write something of that quality on their own.

It's easy to write off Peter Kay based on his recent stuff, but around the era of Phoenix Nights he was also responsible for That Peter Kay Thing and the Top of the Tower stand-up DVD, both of which were very good. I just find the idea that he had nothing to do with the quality of the writing of Phoenix Nights to lack credibility.
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think what's more true, is that Kaye only had so much good stuff in him. Since Phoenix Nights and the tours he did around that time, he's been repeating himself.
  • Options
    Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched an edition of The Comedy Store with Peter Kay from over 10 years ago, and he's STILL telling exactly the same jokes. :mad:
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think anyone's saying Kay had nothing to do with the quality of Phoenix Nights, to say he didn't is ridiculous, the main thing is the teaming of the three of them in coming up with the show.

You can tell when you listen to the Phoenix series 1 commentary that you've got a great comedy team right there. It's just a shame they fell out.
  • Options
    AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've seen Spikey once and he seems to have the odd good line in him, a fairly acceptable mainstream comic, I'm surprised he doesn't do more panel shows.

But for me, he doesn't have the presence or delivery in him, look at his DVD or Bullseye, good jokes die on arse
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ambassador wrote: »
    I've seen Spikey once and he seems to have the odd good line in him, a fairly acceptable mainstream comic, I'm surprised he doesn't do more panel shows.

Probably because he'd repeat himself more than he does now. I've seen him interviewed quite a few times over the years, and almost every time he told a joke about how he was told laughter is the best medicine, "which is why at the age of 6 I almost died from diphtheria." You can almost sense it coming.
  • Options
    zippydoodahzippydoodah Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are showing reruns of Chain Letters on Challenge. The Dave Spikey Years (I think circa 1997) and in the end credits, one of the writers is Peter Kay.
  • Options
    ClearviewClearview Posts: 800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This thread re Peter Kay and the writing team on Phoenix Nights reminds me of what someone said on twitter:

"Season 1 of phoenix nights is funnier and contains more jeff from peep show than I remembered"

Ha ha ha.
  • Options
    AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    I'm sure Peter kay said on radio2 the othe day he'd only do some more PN if he needded the money
  • Options
    Steve_WhelanSteve_Whelan Posts: 1,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched an edition of The Comedy Store with Peter Kay from over 10 years ago, and he's STILL telling exactly the same jokes. :mad:

He is still telling the same jokes he first did on the Sunday Show in 94/95, Stewart Lee gave a little dig to this effect on his show last year.
  • Options
    ClearviewClearview Posts: 800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Abriel wrote: »
    I'm sure Peter kay said on radio2 the othe day he'd only do some more PN if he needded the money

So that will be never. At least we can now enjoy his "new" stand up ad infintium
  • Options
    JBOJBO Posts: 6,148
    Forum Member
    I saw Peter Kay live a few weeks back, and bar the odd knowing nod to some of his earlier stuff, it was all new jokes

This thing that he's been telling the same stuff for years is a myth

All imho of course
  • Options
    ianradioianianradioian Posts: 74,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Phoenix Nights was inspired; a great ensemble coming together with the idea, the setting,the writing, the comedy and the acting. I think it will be Peter Kays best work...
  • Options
    lankyguy007lankyguy007 Posts: 214
    Forum Member
    Oh it definitely is

Kitson has more comedic talent than Peter Kay, Dave Spikey and the rest put together

Totally agree with that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bob.cryer wrote: »
    the fire safety episode is hilarious

"That's a dog he's drawing... he's drawing a dog!"

:D
  • Options
    Steve_WhelanSteve_Whelan Posts: 1,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JBO wrote: »
    I saw Peter Kay live a few weeks back, and bar the odd knowing nod to some of his earlier stuff, it was all new jokes

All imho of course

He may be doing mainly new material on this tour, but that does not alter the fact that he did pretty much the same stand up routine for over 15 years with very minor changes each tour. A jobbing stand up can get away with this for years but once that routine is seen on screen it is as good as dead. And untill this tour Kay was pretty much floging a dead horse.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have seen Peter Kay a few times live on stage, I have seen him on TV recently and though he is still fairly funny, he seems to be dating very quickly to me.

His humour just doesn't appeal to me anymore and I doubt that I will go to any of his live shows.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    linnylou wrote: »
    'Pyschic** - what's a pyschic?'

**pisskick

:D:D

Sally Morgan !
  • Options
    The TerminatorThe Terminator Posts: 5,312
    Forum Member
    He may be doing mainly new material on this tour, but that does not alter the fact that he did pretty much the same stand up routine for over 15 years with very minor changes each tour. A jobbing stand up can get away with this for years but once that routine is seen on screen it is as good as dead. And untill this tour Kay was pretty much floging a dead horse.
    I think it was more about the same stuff being released on different DVDs wasn't it? Wasn't he basically not touring at all for years, rather than doing the same routine all that time?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 234
    Forum Member
    smfan123 wrote: »
    "That's a dog he's drawing... he's drawing a dog!"

:D

Keith Lard: "You know what my biggest fear is?"

Audience member "Rabies?"

That, and the alternative comedians episode were superb.
  • Options
    Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JBO wrote: »

All imho of course

No it isn't.
    Watch that Comedy Store programme - it seems to be on all the time !
  • Options
    The TerminatorThe Terminator Posts: 5,312
    Forum Member
    No it isn't.
    Watch that Comedy Store programme - it seems to be on all the time !
    But that would have been before his three big tours, with three different sets of material.
  • Options
    big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This new tour is completely different to the other 2 he said a few old lines bit only cos it's what the crowd wanted. U will see for yourselves come next year when he releases it on DVD. The tour that doesn't tour that's now on tour that wasn't going to DVD that now is.... Dvd
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This new tour is completely different to the other 2 he said a few old lines bit only cos it's what the crowd wanted. U will see for yourselves come next year when he releases it on DVD. The tour that doesn't tour that's now on tour that wasn't going to DVD that now is.... Dvd

"The Tour That Doesn't Tour" Tour. Oh, Mr Kay, how refreshing your wit is(!)