The Hobbit....so Excited

Comments

• bridgerrbridgerr Posts: 253
    Forum Member
    I won't spoilt it for anyone who hasn't seen it yet, but my bum was on the cinema seat 20 minutes before the movie even started. I was fortunate that despite it being the second 2D showing of the day only 1/4 of the place was full. Back row seats all to myself and no annoying kids or rusling of food to ruin it all.

I'll have to hold reservation before saying it's one of the best tolkien envisioned movies to date, but it sure surpassed ROTK in my eyes if not more so. My only gripe was not seeing much of smaug but i'm sure that'll be resolved for the next one to come. Incidentally does the arising of
    the necromancer
    herald the Balrogs? Could get interesting to see how Jackson might percieve the timeline of the Tolkien books if so.
  • PinSarlaPinSarla Posts: 4,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's interesting to see the difference so far between audience reaction and the critic's reaction. I don't know if everywhere I go online is full of massive Tolkien fans, though I highly doubt it!
  • barracuda91barracuda91 Posts: 3,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just came back from seeing it. Absolutely loved it and can't wait to see it again. I don't understand why so many critics and others think it's too long. I didn't have a problem with this myself and it never felt like a 3-hour movie to me, I was so immersed in it. I was actually gutted when it finished, I was like "Nooooo!" :p I've seen films half as long as this where I've wanted to put my phone on to check the time to see when it's going to end, never had a single thought of doing that during The Hobbit.

I also thought the 3D was well done. Subtle most of the time but when it's more obvious it's not in a gimmicky way. LOTR had many scenes that would work very well in 3D and that's what this felt like as well; those scenes would look great in both 2D and 3D.

10/10 for me! :D
    Forum Member
    Titanic is more/less the same duration in length and we all watched that for the iceberg part anyway :p The Hobbit is close to 3 hours of action that never stops, just like in LOTRs there's a little room to breathe inbetween but we're so entranced by the backdrop of Middle Earth that we just want to get back out there again and kick some Hobgoblin butt :cool:
  • James2001James2001 Posts: 73,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I admit I find the "Radagast is Jar Jar" to be laughable. I didn't find him an annoying or negative character, and let's face it, even if he was, he's not really in the film enough to be a negative influence over it anyway. I just think some critics are looking at any way to pick holes in this film!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 374
    Forum Member
    bridgerr wrote: »
    I won't spoilt it for anyone who hasn't seen it yet, but my bum was on the cinema seat 20 minutes before the movie even started. I was fortunate that despite it being the second 2D showing of the day only 1/4 of the place was full. Back row seats all to myself and no annoying kids or rusling of food to ruin it all.

I'll have to hold reservation before saying it's one of the best tolkien envisioned movies to date, but it sure surpassed ROTK in my eyes if not more so. My only gripe was not seeing much of smaug but i'm sure that'll be resolved for the next one to come. Incidentally does the arising of
    the necromancer
    herald the Balrogs? Could get interesting to see how Jackson might percieve the timeline of the Tolkien books if so.
    There was only one known Balrog left inhabiting Middle-earth at the time of The Hobbit, Durin's Bane a survivor from the War of Wrath that heralded the end of the First Age and the banishment of the origin of all evil in Arda; Melkor, the mightiest of the Ainur, the angelic beings created by Eru Iluvatar (god in Tolkien's Legendarium) before the creation of the Arda (the planet on which Middle-earth is a continent). Melkor was the equivalent of Lucifer and the one who originally corrupted Sauron and the fire spirits who took on the demonic forms of Balrogs. He also engineered the dragons and the orcs.

The Necromancer had no control of Durin's Bane, he along with the Balrogs, dragons, werewolves, vampires and orcs were servants of Melkor.

It was the Dwarves who awoke Durin's Bane in Moria.
  • Alvar HansoAlvar Hanso Posts: 2,542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my god, edmond you sound like you know your tolkein, have only read the first 2 lord of the rings books but never, The return of the king, The hobbit, The Simarillion or The unfinished tales, but have loved the movies, and particularly enjoyed this one

out of interest, if this film represents the first 6 chapters, and they have expanded, brief descriptions into fully fledged scenes, how much in the hobbit was appendices , orginal creation by the filmmakers to make it work as a film more, etc

you seem like the man to ask
  • wildphantom!wildphantom! Posts: 561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    About to see this in IMAX on Sunday in Glasgow. Does the UK have the 9 minute prologue of Star Trek before the screening?
  • GARETH197901GARETH197901 Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    About to see this in IMAX on Sunday in Glasgow. Does the UK have the 9 minute prologue of Star Trek before the screening?

should do
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 374
    Forum Member
    my god, edmond you sound like you know your tolkein, have only read the first 2 lord of the rings books but never, The return of the king, The hobbit, The Simarillion or The unfinished tales, but have loved the movies, and particularly enjoyed this one

out of interest, if this film represents the first 6 chapters, and they have expanded, brief descriptions into fully fledged scenes, how much in the hobbit was appendices , orginal creation by the filmmakers to make it work as a film more, etc

you seem like the man to ask

Much of it was from the novel. The parts borrowed from the appendices include the White Council meeting. In the novel it's mentioned in passing as a meeting of sorts, but the concept hadn't yet been fully developed at the time of The Hobbit's publication. The Erebor stuff was taken from the appendices as well as the Dwarven backstory. In The Hobbit novel it isn't touched upon in great detail. Radagast's expanded role is the filmmakers doing. Again, he's also mentioned by Gandalf in passing and has no role in the novel. The stuff regarding Azog is present in the Legendarium, but a few tweaks with Azog surviving and playing a part in the films. Frodo and Old Bilbo is an invention of the filmmakers to serve as a bookend to the narrative and bring some familiarity to proceedings. The Goblin Town sequence is again much expanded compared to the novel. Certain other minor changes here and there as well, but nothing too drastic.
  • Alvar HansoAlvar Hanso Posts: 2,542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thanks for filliing me in dude, will have to but those ROTK and The Hobbitt and check out the appendices in ROTK
  • Alt-F4Alt-F4 Posts: 10,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bridgerr wrote: »
    I won't spoilt it for anyone who hasn't seen it yet, but my bum was on the cinema seat 20 minutes before the movie even started.

I've read this three times and can't make out what you're talking about, what does your anus have to do with this? Are they selling laxatives at the cinema now?
    Forum Member
    It means I got there early, to make sure I got a good seat :P given it's the holidays next week it sounds like us first-goers to this movie made the best of today's afternoon lax-time.
  • MariesamMariesam Posts: 3,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    really enjoyed it ....although i found it too short ....thought it was an hour and 45mins and not 2hours and 45mins! (same with the person i bought with me) ...they thought it was only halfway through when the credits rolled! :)...... it needed to be longer and longer on the characters....loved almost everything...radaghast was great although not enough of him! everything else needed to be added too...could spent another 2hours in the Cinema.......

48fps was amazing too! although i dont go to the cinema much so might be too 'different' for others that go more regulary.....but was crystal and had that looking through a window into another world feel!.....
  • roger_50roger_50 Posts: 6,895
    Forum Member
    Seen it now.

I quite liked it. I'll need to see it again to form a proper judgement on it I think.

My initial thoughts are that it doesn't match the LotR films in quality, but that doesn't necessarily have to be a hugely negative thing. It's clear at times that they were over-indulging. It's certainly a 'looser' film than any of the Rings.

But it was nice. Unfocused, but nice.
  • Shreya9Shreya9 Posts: 103
    Forum Member
    I've seen this film 3 times and I can't believe the bloody critics have been so down on it. What the crap were they watching?
    I think if you're a Lord of the Rings fan, you'll just be happy to be taken to stunning Middle-earth again. I know I was.
    The first time I saw some of the characters we fell in love with and heard those amazing themes from LOTR, I got so emotional.
    At my place we only watch the Extended Editions and we watch a lot of Bollywood films, so nearly 3 hours was absolutely no never mind for us. In fact, it wasn't long enough, we just wanted more!
    The cast, the music, the direction, the entire production, it was breathtaking.
    The way that Bilbo found the ring in the Hobbit was different from the prologue of LOTR, but that was for obvious reasons. I hope that maybe if they ever re-release the Fellowship of the Ring, Peter Jackson will pull a Star Wars, Anakin thing and show Martin Freeman finding the ring instead of Ian Holm.
    I loved this film. :cool:
  • DizzleDizzle Posts: 723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Boring as ****.
  • KarisKaris Posts: 6,380
    Forum Member
    Incidentally, has anyone else been pronouncing Smaug as Smorg their whole life, only for the film to make it Smowg, or is that just me?

No. Because we can read :P

*runs and hides*

Edit: Actually, we called him Smorg when we were about ten, but we soon learned the subtleties in names.
  • nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bio Max wrote: »
    One of the things I loved was the continuity with LOTR.

For example in the ROTK there was an elf who said to the lady arwen "my lady where are you going" something like that - when she stopped walking to the grey haven ships due to having visions of her son with Aragorn etc...

Anyway that elf cropped up in the Hobbit - without giving anything away - he is the first elf the dwarves speak to in Rivendell...

Figwit is back? :D How cool :cool:

For those who do not know, the name 'Figwit' was given to this elf by a member on a LotR forum, and very soon he became a phenomenon to fans all around the world.

'Figwit' is an acronym for: Frodo is great... who is that? :D

See this link for further details... and a lovely pic of the elf himself:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Figwit
  • nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am very impressed (and heartened) to hear so many positive reviews for AUJ on here. :cool:

I have tried to stay away from a lot of the pre-film chatter, as I want the experience to mainly be a surprise, when I eventually get to go and see the film. However, I have read a few of the critics' reviews here and there, and my heart sank reading their negative reports. Well, I'm now going to ignore them, and hopefully I'll enjoy the film as much as many on here have done. Can't wait to see it now. :)

I have two little questions though, that I need to ask, if anyone doesn't mind answering for me please:

1. Does Peter Jackson capture the humour of The Hobbit? I think that would be one of the most important aspects of book to screen for me. I have just re-read the book for the umpteenth time, and I still chuckle through all of chapter one as well as in other parts of the book. I'm especially a little worried that Martin Freeman might be a bit more serious in his role as Bilbo? I think if PJ gets An Unexpected Party right then I'll be happy - especially in Bilbo's initial conversation with Gandalf.

2. Has Sir Ian McKellen changed his voice as Gandalf? I watched the clips on Film 2012 and I thought he sounded different. :confused:
  • GARETH197901GARETH197901 Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nethwen wrote: »
    I am very impressed (and heartened) to hear so many positive reviews for AUJ on here. :cool:

I have tried to stay away from a lot of the pre-film chatter, as I want the experience to mainly be a surprise, when I eventually get to go and see the film. However, I have read a few of the critics' reviews here and there, and my heart sank reading their negative reports. Well, I'm now going to ignore them, and hopefully I'll enjoy the film as much as many on here have done. Can't wait to see it now. :)

I have two little questions though, that I need to ask, if anyone doesn't mind answering for me please:

1. Does Peter Jackson capture the humour of The Hobbit? I think that would be one of the most important aspects of book to screen for me. I have just re-read the book for the umpteenth time, and I still chuckle through all of chapter one as well as in other parts of the book. I'm especially a little worried that Martin Freeman might be a bit more serious in his role as Bilbo? I think if PJ gets An Unexpected Party right then I'll be happy - especially in Bilbo's initial conversation with Gandalf.

2. Has Sir Ian McKellen changed his voice as Gandalf? I watched the clips on Film 2012 and I thought he sounded different. :confused:

He sounded how Gandalf the Grey sounded to me in Fellowship
  • servelanservelan Posts: 354
    Forum Member
    I can't understand the reviews from the ctitics that give it 'average' and 'too long'.

It is wonderful and the time just flies by.

For Tolkein fans, it is pretty much as per the book, plus bit from the Apppendices in LOTR.

Martin Frreman nails it as everyman Bilbo and Richard Armitage is excellent as Thorin Oakenshield, in a role that is enhanced from the books (but not different)

Loved it
  • lordo350lordo350 Posts: 3,633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nethwen wrote: »

Oh trust me, there's plenty of funny moments!! They defo keep the humour! I also found myself smiling pretty much all the way through it anyway. There's so much nostalgia in this movie to massive LOTR fans... I can kind of understand how people must have felt when hearing a new Star Wars was coming out. Thank God this movie is no Phantom Menace.
  • SpacedoneSpacedone Posts: 2,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes it does and it looks FANTASTIC!
  • XIVXIV Posts: 21,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really enjoyed the film, HFR does take a bit of time to get used to but it makes a lot of the landscape shot breathtaking, I think it's a format that has potential and it'll improve over time. I was surprised how funny it was especially the dwarves apart from Thorin, the film whizzed by and actually wanted to see more.