My thoughts on the iPad mini

Comments

• whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tdenson wrote: »
    You misunderstand my comparison. All through this debate I have always said the Nexus 7 is better value for money. My only point is that IMO the mini is "better" in the way that say a BMW is "better" than a Ford Mondeo when not considering value for money.

Lol, thats hilarious nonsense. I have no worries paying for quality, but i CHOOSE even if they were equally priced i would go for the Nexus 7.

It is incredibly condesecending to suggest that people only choose apple because they cant afford one.
  • tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
    Forum Member
    jazzyjake wrote: »
    Okay if i go for the mini is it worth buying the mobile one or just the wifi only.

I will be using it out a lot. I heard that you can use your iphone as a hotspot or something but i only get 750mb data a month, plus i am not too impressed with EE.

Personally, I would recommend the cellular version as long as it doesn't break the bank too much. Tethering seems an attractive option but I find it a bit of a pain. It's very nice to whip out the tablet anywhere (particularly a 7" one) and use it without having to faff around with connecting it to the phone. I also have a lot of trouble with tethering, often I can't see my phone as a hotspot even though I can see other hotspots. Ironically as I speak I am typing this on my iPad at Birmingham New Street Station even though I have my laptop sitting beside me because I can't see it in my list of hotspots, despite the fact I have just run a speedtest on my phone showing 20 mb down and 10 up.
    Forum Member
    Stuart_h wrote: »
    Ive always tethered to my phone - which can have the downside of being a bit of a battery hog.

I've just mentioned in another message that I have quite a lot of trouble using my iDevices for tethering - do you have any trouble with Android ? Perhaps I'll get myself a Nexus 4
    Forum Member
    paulbrock wrote: »
    the only thing I can see the mini having over the N7 (particularly if we're going with the hypothetical stick them both in front of a non-techie) is that its bigger, an equally silly way of comparing them, as obviously an 8" tablet is bigger than a 7" tablet. Likewise a Samsung Tab 10" is bigger than the ipad Mini, it doesn't make it better.

Oh but it's not a silly comparison. As the point was made in the article that stuart_h quoted, despite having a bigger screen the iPad mini is both lighter and easier to hold than the Nexus 7 for long periods. And furthermore the whole point of this thread has been to compare the iPad mini and N7, no one has mentioned the Tab 10 other than you.
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the iPad mini is both lighter and easier to hold than the Nexus 7 for long periods.

Also subjective.....from the OP:
    [the iPad mini] doesn't fit in as comfortably in one hand
    Forum Member

It is incredibly condesecending to suggest that people only choose apple because they cant afford one.

assuming that you actually meant the opposite of what you've just said, I never said that.
    Forum Member
    paulbrock wrote: »
    Also subjective.....from the OP:

although the N7 admittedly is easier to get your hand round both sides as it is slightly narrower, in my experience that's not how you hold a 7" tablet for long periods
  • jazzyjakejazzyjake Posts: 1,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally, I would recommend the cellular version as long as it doesn't break the bank too much. Tethering seems an attractive option but I find it a bit of a pain. It's very nice to whip out the tablet anywhere (particularly a 7" one) and use it without having to faff around with connecting it to the phone. I also have a lot of trouble with tethering, often I can't see my phone as a hotspot even though I can see other hotspots. Ironically as I speak I am typing this on my iPad at Birmingham New Street Station even though I have my laptop sitting beside me because I can't see it in my list of hotspots, despite the fact I have just run a speedtest on my phone showing 20 mb down and 10 up.

get the ipad on contract from ee or buy it outright then go on a sim only?
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I tether my phone to my iPad mini and iPod all the time. I turn on tethering when I leave the house and only turn it off when I get home. That way I have Internet on the go all the time virtually. Ironically I'm sitting on a train at clapham junction and I'm posting this on my iPad mini which is tethered to my phone.
  • barcajadenbarcajaden Posts: 1,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tether my phone to my iPad mini and iPod all the time. I turn on tethering when I leave the house and only turn it off when I get home. That way I have Internet on the go all the time virtually. Ironically I'm sitting on a train at clapham junction and I'm posting this on my iPad mini which is tethered to my phone.

How do get internet on the tube?
  • Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    Oh but it's not a silly comparison. As the point was made in the article that stuart_h quoted, despite having a bigger screen the iPad mini is both lighter and easier to hold than the Nexus 7 for long periods. And furthermore the whole point of this thread has been to compare the iPad mini and N7, no one has mentioned the Tab 10 other than you.

You are right. The iPad mini is better ......

oh .... unless you want NFC
    oh ..... and GPS
    erm .... Flash video ?
    oh ... and something that fits in a suit pocket
    oh yes.... high res screen
    erm drag and drop connectivity.....

so yes, unless you want the above then the iPad mini is obviously the best .....

oh .... but yes it IS loads more expensive ......

mind you it does have a lovely fruit logo on ;)

If the iPad mini is best for you then fine, you have made the right choice FOR YOU, but please dont imagine that everyone out there is shallow enough to go for lower spec simply because of a brand.
  • kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

oh ..... and GPS
    erm .... Flash video ?

so yes, unless you want the above then the iPad mini is obviously the best .....

If the iPad mini is best for you then fine, you have made the right choice FOR YOU, but please dont imagine that everyone out there is shallow enough to go for lower spec simply because of a brand.

You really do seem to struggle with people preferring the iPad mini. What a really strange view to think anyone who has chosen it as being shallow:confused:
    Forum Member
    kidspud wrote: »
    You really do seem to struggle with people preferring the iPad mini. What a really strange view to think anyone who has chosen it as being shallow:confused:

No

I have no problem with someone liking the iPad mini. Its quite a nice unit.

What I do 'struggle with' is someone stating 'as fact' that the majority of people would choose an iPad mini over a Nexus 7.

That, to me, looks like someone trying to be a WUM.
    Forum Member

Ah I think I know what my problem is. I have both my iPhone and full size iPad capable of tethering and when travelling I tend to have both of them enabled so I have a choice of signal (one is EE and the other is Three). There seems to be a conflict as I have just been doing some experiments and as long as I only have one of them on at a time I can achieve reliable tethering.
    Forum Member
    barcajaden wrote: »
    How do get internet on the tube?

Virgin Media wifi
    Forum Member

oh ..... and GPS
    erm .... Flash video ?

NFC - genuinely please tell me when I would find that useful
    GPS - my iPad has GPS
    Flash Video - big deal, the world is moving away
    Suit pocket - my iPad fits my suit pocket
    Hi Res screen - I have said loads of times that despite lower res screen the iPad mini is a better experience due to the much greater screen real estate
    Drag and Drop - yes, you've found something I'd like, but not at the expense of other things I do like about the Apple ecosystem.
    Loads more expensive - how many times do I have to say the N7 is BETTER VALUE FOR MONEY but that is not the issue being debated here.
    Forum Member

I would kindly ask you not to call me shallow. What right have you to judge that I prefer an iPad mini over a Nexus 7 because of a fruit logo. As usual you are completely hung up on specs. The real world experience of most people who have experienced both I believe (in my opinion) is to prefer the mini.
    Good grief, I keep my iDevices in shabby cases, and I have just bought 3 cheap chinese 10" Android tablets because they do the job I need them to do. Do not call me shallow.
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this going to turn into another 50 page epic? :)
    Forum Member
    No

What I do 'struggle with' is someone stating 'as fact' that the majority of people would choose an iPad mini over a Nexus 7.

That, to me, looks like someone trying to be a WUM.

If that is aimed at me, just looking back at my posts, in the first I used the expression "However, I would be prepared to bet" and the second "all things being equal I suspect most people would choose" - "bet" and "suspect" are hardly "stating as fact", it is my opinion, but as usual you have such an extreme negative reaction to anyone disagreeing with your own opinion.

And BTW you will need to enlighten me on the acronym WUM, I assume it's rude.
    Forum Member
    psionic wrote: »
    Is this going to turn into another 50 page epic? :)

Until I get bored :)
    Forum Member
    If that is aimed at me, just looking back at my posts, in the first I used the expression "However, I would be prepared to bet" and the second "all things being equal I suspect most people would choose" - "bet" and "suspect" are hardly "stating as fact", it is my opinion, but as usual you have such an extreme negative reaction to anyone disagreeing with your own opinion.

And BTW you will need to enlighten me on the acronym WUM, I assume it's rude.

no its not rude ......

My opinion (as I have stated often) is that people should get what is right for them, and that there is no "best" as everyone has different requirements. Is that something you disagree with ?
  • barcajadenbarcajaden Posts: 1,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    is nexus 7 better than the mini?
    Forum Member
    no its not rude ......

My opinion (as I have stated often) is that people should get what is right for them, and that there is no "best" as everyone has different requirements. Is that something you disagree with ?

Yes. If 9 people out of 10 think something is better for them then in my opinion generically that product is "better". I am sure you would argue that Android is "better" than IOS - and I might just agree with you.

You still didn't explain WUM - (edit) sorry I was being lazy, just googled it.
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Inside suit pocket? The N7 is a tight fit in my suit jacket. (loads of room in my regular coat inside pocket) Let me know your tailor :)
  • kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NFC - genuinely please tell me when I would find that useful
    GPS - my iPad has GPS
    Flash Video - big deal, the world is moving away
    Hi Res screen - I have said loads of times that despite lower res screen the iPad mini is a better experience due to the much greater screen real estate
    Drag and Drop - yes, you've found something I'd like, but not at the expense of other things I do like about the Apple ecosystem.
    Loads more expensive - how many times do I have to say the N7 is BETTER VALUE FOR MONEY but that is not the issue being debated here.

What is drag and drop?