Options

BBC The Three Musketeers NEW Drama (Discussion/News/Speculation) (SPOILERS IN TAGS)

Comments

• Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got shut of Capaldi so quick they might as well've put wheels on the coffin!

The only upside to Marc Warren being in this is at least he's not ruining The Good Wife anymore
  • Options
    slouchingthatchslouchingthatch Posts: 2,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm reviewing the Musketeers for the Metro website (at least the first episode, amyway) - here's a link via my own site to my review of episode 1.
  • Options
    claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The story of the week was very good - interesting and a great intro to Rochefort - but my favourite part was it picking up threads from last series such as Adele's death and Porthos' father. It gave the show more depth and greater scope. Looking forward to more.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    It was all going so well until the yukky dialogue between D'Artagnan and that woman near the end.
  • Options
    Captain StableCaptain Stable Posts: 2,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't the Cardinal meant to regenerate?

Also, there goes my fantasy idea of Jenna Coleman suddenly running into an episode (wearing modern day clothing), grabbing Richelieu and saying "There you are!" and him saying "This is great! They think I'm a Cardinal and everything!"
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    i watched this, and normally historical things aren't my thing, but quite enjoyed it
  • Options
    EllefEllef Posts: 4,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't the Cardinal meant to regenerate?

Also, there goes my fantasy idea of Jenna Coleman suddenly running into an episode (wearing modern day clothing), grabbing Richelieu and saying "There you are!" and him saying "This is great! They think I'm a Cardinal and everything!"

That is GENIUS, they should have done it!
  • Options
    saralundsaralund Posts: 3,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't know about 'historical', but, my! Is that a screen full of Hot Man or what? :blush:
  • Options
    PretzelPretzel Posts: 7,858
    Forum Member
    Rochefort was suitably evily good but my favourite scene was Anne recruiting Constance,. I just love them together, so conspiratorial, and to his credit Bonacieux was pretty funny in that scene. I'm glad they've remembered that Anne is Spanish too.

I like d'Artagnan and Constance, as a couple they're cute, but he's being pretty selfish and naive, (but don't worry Constangan fans I'm sure they'll end up together somehow ;-)). And poor Aramis, even the church are onto him now (that was priest as The Cardinals envoy, no?)
  • Options
    Sherlock_HolmesSherlock_Holmes Posts: 6,882
    Forum Member
    Pretzel wrote: »
    Rochefort was suitably evily good but my favourite scene was Anne recruiting Constance,. I just love them together, so conspiratorial, and to his credit Bonacieux was pretty funny in that scene. I'm glad they've remembered that Anne is Spanish too.

Here you can watch them get wet together :D

https://twitter.com/TamlaKari/status/507205051526684672
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Rochefort for some reason reminded me of Flashheart. :D
  • Options
    Gill PGill P Posts: 21,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    Rochefort for some reason reminded me of Flashheart. :D

Probably the blonde hair! :D
  • Options
    DCM10DCM10 Posts: 647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been waiting for this to come back and the first episode of series 2 didn't disappoint. Looking forward to watching more of this programme in the coming weeks :)
  • Options
    towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pretzel wrote: »

I like d'Artagnan and Constance, as a couple they're cute, but he's being pretty selfish and naive, (but don't worry Constangan fans I'm sure they'll end up together somehow ;-)). And poor Aramis, even the church are onto him now (that was priest as The Cardinals envoy, no?)

D'artagnan knows that Constance isn't a coward but he's letting his heart rule his head again, tut. Someone made a good point about D'Artagnan being a coming-of-age character and it sounds like the producers have that in mind as well.

Great opening episode, though I was initially surprised at the obvious change of tone, having re-watched S1 just a few weeks ago. I could do with a touch more humour in future episodes but I suppose the first episode had to set up Rochefort, as well as each Musketeers' more personal storylines.

I just love the whole cast in this show, from the four Musketeers to King Louis, they really help make it great for me. Marc Warren was great in the role of Rochefort too, though I'll admit it took me a while to get used to his voice.
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Are the Musketeers costumes darker in this series than the last or is it just my eyesight? I thought they were blue last time. They looked black or a very dark blue last night.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are the Musketeers costumes darker in this series than the last or is it just my eyesight? I thought they were blue last time. They looked black or a very dark blue last night.

Athos's jacket does look darker to me this time around, but not the others. I think they each have two capes, a light blue one and a dark blue one which they wore for much of last night's episode. Is that what you were thinking of?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ellef wrote: »
    Athos's jacket does look darker to me this time around, but not the others. I think they each have two capes, a light blue one and a dark blue one which they wore for much of last night's episode. Is that what you were thinking of?

During the opening scenes their costumes looked a lot darker than last series. Maybe they've had an upgrade due to the bigger budget for series 2 or else they can afford to have the costumes dry cleaned now. :D

Do you know who the dead woman was buried in the tombs who Aramis was upset about when he discovered she was dead?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    During the opening scenes their costumes looked a lot darker than last series. Maybe they've had an upgrade due to the bigger budget for series 2 or else they can afford to have the costumes dry cleaned now. :D

Do you know who the dead woman was buried in the tombs who Aramis was upset about when he discovered she was dead?

It was Adelle - the Cardinal's mistress in series 1, episode 1, who the Cardinal had shot in the words.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    towers wrote: »
    It was Adelle - the Cardinal's mistress in series 1, episode 1, who the Cardinal had shot in the words.

Thanks.
  • Options
    fleetfleet Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved it, its pure hockum, but its an hour of escapism!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fleet wrote: »
    I loved it, its pure hockum, but its an hour of escapism!

It's hugely entertaining, full of dashing men who are decent actors - unlike in Atlantis - and is more worthy of my time than Eastenders or I'm a Celebrity.

It looks like the show's producer is going to explore the slightly "darker sides" of each of the Musketeers in S2 because of the slight change of tone. We've already seen D'artagnan's in the first episode and the other three will probably follow suit. With Aramis, it looks like -
    he might 'use' Marguerite - the baby's nanny - in order to get closer to his son
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    towers wrote: »
    It's hugely entertaining, full of dashing men who are decent actors - unlike in Atlantis - and is more worthy of my time than Eastenders or I'm a Celebrity.

It looks like the show's producer is going to explore the slightly "darker sides" of each of the Musketeers in S2 because of the slight change of tone. We've already seen D'artagnan's in the first episode and the other three will probably follow suit. With Aramis, it looks like -
    he might 'use' Marguerite - the baby's nanny - in order to get closer to his son

I think
    Aramis will have an affair with the nanny and blurt out Anne's name in the throes of passion and it'll kick off. He'll probably end up on the shuttle bus to the Chatelet that was operating so regularly in S1!
  • Options
    FaggyFaggy Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    saralund wrote: »
    Don't know about 'historical', but, my! Is that a screen full of Hot Man or what? :blush:

Certainly is!
    Shame that Tom Burke reduces the average somewhat but you can't have everything.

Enjoyed the first episode. The whole thing seemed more sure of itself than last year - as if the producers now know exactly what kind of show they want to make.

Pity it's been moved from Sunday nights though - that was a perfect slot for this kind of fun escapism. Have the schedulers learnt nothing from the mess they made of Ripper Street ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I am not convinced that Rochefort is an out and out baddy. Yes he does bad things, but could still be seen as for the greater good of his loyalty to France.
  • Options
    Steffan_LeachSteffan_Leach Posts: 4,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    Got shut of Capaldi so quick they might as well've put wheels on the coffin!

The only upside to Marc Warren being in this is at least he's not ruining The Good Wife anymore
    I guess Peter Capaldi didn't have time to do this and doctor who. Wish he was still the cardinal though :( He was good. I don't care if the Radiotimes said he was a "Pamtomine", I want him back :(