Options

Wolf Hall - BBC2

Comments

• Options
    gurney-sladegurney-slade Posts: 29,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    heiker wrote: »
    What was the significance of K. of A. allowing Cromwell to fiddle with her tits by the window :confused:

He was fantasising.
  • Options
    NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If a viewer has to ask about dates it shows the production team haven't done their job. It shouldn't be left up to the viewer to check on Wiki.
    I think it means that it's an intelligent production that isn't spoon-feeding viewers with information that they could - if sufficiently interested - get elsewhere. I don't like history, have only the divorced / beheaded / died etc memories of Henry's wives and had quite forgotten there was any Cromwell other than Oliver. But a quick read of Wiki and a couple of other sources has given me the information I need to enable me to thoroughly enjoy this production.

It's BBC2, it doesn't have to pander to the LCD.
  • Options
    RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What was the significance of K. of A. allowing Cromwell to fiddle with her tits by the window :confused:

That was Anne Boleyn wasn't it?
  • Options
    RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Normandie wrote: »
    I think it means that it's an intelligent production that isn't spoon-feeding viewers with information that they could - if sufficiently interested - get elsewhere. I don't like history, have only the divorced / beheaded / died etc memories of Henry's wives and had quite forgotten there was any Cromwell other than Oliver. But a quick read of Wiki and a couple of other sources has given me the information I need to enable me to thoroughly enjoy this production.

Adding a few dates isn't exactly spoon-feeding.
  • Options
    heikerheiker Posts: 7,029
    Forum Member
    He was fantasising.

So what we saw happen didn't really happen in real life :confused:

So what is the historical basis of this scene or was HM just fantasising?
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Oh please. Get off your high horse and stop acting so high and mighty. Just because a scene looked like it happened in the immediate aftermath of another doesn't mean a person is stupid not to realise events actually happened 10 years later. "Lowest common denominator" ? 'rollseyes'
  • Options
    seejay63seejay63 Posts: 8,800
    Forum Member

Anne Boleyn, and it was him fantasising. Presumably this is more of Hilary Mantel's re-writing of history which she slates others for doing :confused:

Did he really have an affair with his sister-in-law after his wife died, or is that also made up?
  • Options
    CMK29CMK29 Posts: 361
    Forum Member
    Well I loved the books and I'm loving this - it's about time television catered to those of us who don't need explosions going off every five minutes and a soundtrack telling us we should feel ;-) Mark Rylance has been fantastic - you can see the cogs whirring even as his expression remains passive. I feel sorry for the other actors going toe to toe with him- they can't win :D
  • Options
    seejay63seejay63 Posts: 8,800
    Forum Member
    k9fan wrote: »
    I have always felt sorry for Mary Boleyn being cast off by her family after her second marriage to William Stafford. Still, at least she kept her head.

Maybe she was secretly relieved at no longer having to be at Court?
  • Options
    Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So what is the historical basis of this scene or was HM just fantasising?

None whatsoever.

Perhaps I ought to read the book to find out more about Wolf Hall.
    Interesting sites about it:
    http://history.wiltshire.gov.uk/community/getfaq.php?id=519
    http://www.burbage-wiltshire.co.uk/historic/wolfhall.html
    http://www.marlboroughnewsonline.co.uk/features/history/2749-wolf-hall-one-of-the-marlborough-area-s-missing-tourist-attractions
  • Options
    AbewestAbewest Posts: 3,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You'd need to ask AB and Cromwell that, as they were the only two there.

Or on second thoughts, just Cromwell - because he was only dreaming about doing it, wasn't he?

When you think about it, the majority of the drama - apart from the broad historical strokes - perhaps didn't happen in real life. eg. the blootered King Henry being propped up by Cromwell on his way to bed, Cromwell thinking back to his father giving him a kicking when he was a child, etc.
  • Options
    Irma BuntIrma Bunt Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's very unfair. A Man For All Seasons hardly pandered to the lowest common denominator. But it managed to convey historical subtleties without the audience having to consult history books on leaving the theatre or cinema.

It was called good writing.
  • Options
    Jenny1986Jenny1986 Posts: 16,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With regards to the timeline, I was under the impression that the events of last nights episode were set in the same year. It's been 10 years since the first episode and 10 years between Anne dancing with Henry Percy and Anne becoming Queen. But you guys are talking about time jumps between scenes so I'm a bit confused.
  • Options
    gurney-sladegurney-slade Posts: 29,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jenny1986 wrote: »
    With regards to the timeline, I was under the impression that the events of last nights episode were set in the same year. It's been 10 years since the first episode and 10 years between Anne dancing with Henry Percy and Anne becoming Queen. But you guys are talking about time jumps between scenes so I'm a bit confused.

They were. I don't think it's you who's confused! ;-)
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I would think that (as usual) whatever they did would be opposed by someone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

I was under the impression that it was the same year but then I was informed by a poster on here that Henry courted Anne 10 years after Percy dumped her (in the scene where Anne place her hand on Cromwells and he took her to meet Henry).
  • Options
    the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    diplodocus wrote: »
    Who was the man who threatened Cromwell at the wedding, told him to keep out of his family's business? I didn't know if he was a Boleyn or a Seymour or neither. This is happening to me quite a lot.

I wouldn't worry - I've read the book and I couldn't remember which character it was so thank God for the comment by someone below the line at the Guardian recap blog. He/she said it was William Brereton who had lands near Chester that Cromwell had some kind of interest in.

He was also one of the aristocrats who took part in that masque in ep 2 mocking the cardinal; one of those who Cromwell has mentally 'marked' for doing so.
  • Options
    broadshoulderbroadshoulder Posts: 18,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cromwell is getting michiavellian

Bernard hill does great work as norfolk
  • Options
    the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

"By the thrice be-sh****n shroud of Lazarus!".
  • Options
    Jenny1986Jenny1986 Posts: 16,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was under the impression that it was the same year but then I was informed by a poster on here that Henry courted Anne 10 years after Percy dumped her (in the scene where Anne place her hand on Cromwells and he took her to meet Henry).

I'm with you, so last night was all in one year, which is why there were no dates flashed up. The relationship between Anne and Percy was over before the first episode. I think it was shown in a flashback. Percy just popped up last night to see if he could get something out of his previous relationship.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm with you, so last night was all in one year, which is why there were no dates flashed up. The relationship between Anne and Percy was over before the first episode. I think it was shown in a flashback. Percy just popped up last night to see if he could get something out of his previous relationship.

That wasn't very clear as it looked like one minute they were telling her to drop her ties with Percy, Cromwell threatened Percy to stay away from her and the next she was holding hands with Cromwell and meeting up with Henry and she was pregnant.
  • Options
    roger_50roger_50 Posts: 6,932
    Forum Member
    This is definitely a high quality production. I'm enjoying it.

There are some issues with the storytelling I think and the way the show is paced, but the performances and the setting come together really well.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was Anne Boleyn wasn't it?
    I could have sworn it was Mary Boleyn. I'll have to watch it all again now.
    http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015-02-04/wolf-hall-meet-the-major-players
  • Options
    Mr CellophaneMr Cellophane Posts: 2,505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cromwell is getting michiavellian

Compared with the books, Bernard Hill's portrayal is fairly restrained! She writes him in a state of almost permanent apoplexy, shaking with rage.

Don't remember the bosom fondling fantasy or kissing Mary Boleyn in the books - with only 6 episodes in which to cover two mighty books, it is a bit surprising that they feel the need to add extra stuff....
  • Options
    missfrankiecatmissfrankiecat Posts: 8,388
    Forum Member
    pauljoanss wrote: »
    Not really understanding or enjoying this. For me, any fictional dramatisation of real historical events are built on shaky ground, how can you mix the two.

It's a good job one William Shakespeare didn't share your views or some of the greatest works of literature would not exist!