Comments

• Options
    systemcvsystemcv Posts: 260
    Forum Member
    Next Tuesday (5 October) at 21:00
  • Options
    MandarkMandark Posts: 47,964
    Forum Member
    Yay it's back. Hope it doesn't slow down again. I doubt it following the lambasting some fans have given the show forcing its producers to defend it.
  • Options
    KaylanKaylan Posts: 1,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No better I am sorry to say.

That's me out.
  • Options
    petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yup, pretty stale. Same old lame old ideas - people with guns running around on a film stage. It could be a spaceship, it could be a submarine, it could be any enclosed space. Once the writers had got past the initial premise of a bunch of soldiers and scientists trapped on board, they really don't seem to have the imagination to do anything original.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I was never quite sure what was going on. That's what happens when you have complex cliffhanger at the end of a series. I was hoping that the improvement in the second half of last season's show would continue.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I found it excellent no problems understanding it here. This is a world apart from SG1 and atlantis.

Problem is people want another SG1/Atlantis style but as the shows creators have said, thats all history the show is moving forward and picking up new fans like myself that did not like SG1 or atlantis.
  • Options
    leithladleithlad Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found it excellent no problems understanding it here. This is a world apart from SG1 and atlantis.

Problem is people want another SG1/Atlantis style but as the shows creators have said, thats all history the show is moving forward and picking up new fans like myself that did not like SG1 or atlantis.

What she said.(applauds):D
  • Options
    Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member

Thing is i like SG1 and Atlantis, i also like bits of SGU, i'm watching and im waiting, but nothing seems to be evolving.:yawn:

The writers say, that the likes of SG1 and Atlantis are history,well fair enough, then end the franchise, both series were obvious continuations of the movie, similar in tone and theme.
    SGU has none of the same tech,characters,aliens,tone,humour or style of either it's predecessors, to the extent that if it wasnt for the writers slapping a stargate logo in the title, it could be a brand new sci-fi franchise.

The writers are obviously trying desperstely to move away from the shows past, so my qestion is why didnt they just make a brand new show with no history at all?

The answer of course is that they need the SG1/Atlantis viewers to watch as the show isnt strong enough to stand on its own two feet using only it's own fans as support.

It is a stargate show, and needs to be more in line with the other stargate franchises or quite simply it will die, alas i fear it is too late for all that, i beleive decisions have already been made.
    :cry:
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

They've also said that Season 2 will be more like the previous series with more humour and adventure. For example
    Mckay and Woolsey are guest starring in one episode.

To be honest while I'll watch it to the end I can't see SGU surviving beyond this season.
  • Options
    srhDSsrhDS Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked it. of course it was going to seem like last season, they had to tie up the hostage storyline. I think to say that the second half of a two parter has not changed the show is a bit harsh. Let the season bed in before rushing to conclusions.

They have introduced some interesting kernels of stories now.
    The two groups having to work together (pity Keeva died though she was a good character).
    How did Chloe heal so quickly? did the aliens do something to her when they took her last season, or are they watching over the ship like guardian angels and they healed her?
    Did TJ really do back to that artificial planet and is the baby still there? most likely it was a dream but maybe not as that image at the end seems to point to something.

What is so damn special about this ship that the Lucian alliance went to all this trouble to invade it? that needs to be explained and quickly.

I'm looking forward to this season.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gordie1 wrote: »
    Thing is i like SG1 and Atlantis, i also like bits of SGU, i'm watching and im waiting, but nothing seems to be evolving.:yawn:

The writers say, that the likes of SG1 and Atlantis are history,well fair enough, then end the franchise, both series were obvious continuations of the movie, similar in tone and theme.
    SGU has none of the same tech,characters,aliens,tone,humour or style of either it's predecessors, to the extent that if it wasnt for the writers slapping a stargate logo in the title, it could be a brand new sci-fi franchise.

The writers are obviously trying desperstely to move away from the shows past, so my qestion is why didnt they just make a brand new show with no history at all?

The answer of course is that they need the SG1/Atlantis viewers to watch as the show isnt strong enough to stand on its own two feet using only it's own fans as support.

It is a stargate show, and needs to be more in line with the other stargate franchises or quite simply it will die, alas i fear it is too late for all that, i beleive decisions have already been made.
    :cry:

Its branded Stargate because thats what it is, its just a more mature and darker show and thats why it appeals to me.
    Many SG1 fans I know love SGU, but there are many that just cant see beyond SG1/Atlantis and feel they should have taken it down that route once again, On the blu ray box set the creators explain why they have changed direction.
    Every time a new show comes out everyone thinks its going to be cancelled, I think this will survive.
    Maybe they should put CSI somewhere in the title and it will never get cancelled as the CSI franchise seems to have a never ending lifspan, why that is, is beyond any mere mortals understanding :D
  • Options
    Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    Maybe they should put CSI somewhere in the title and it will never get cancelled as the CSI franchise seems to have a never ending lifspan, why that is, is beyond any mere mortals understanding :D

Because the CSI franchise creators knew that people liked CSI's formula of style,camera angles ect, so made basicaly the same thing with new cast and location.

They knew what the audience wanted and gave it to them.

It is a winning formula, as the stargate franchise was, the creators have tried to be different here with SGU, and IMO it hasnt worked.
    I dont watch CSI, but i can see the appeal of the shows, and you can bet that CSI will get a big screen outing before stargate gets another one, the blame for that lies squarely with those creating universe.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think it's struggling. But there was some good stuff last season. I prefer the mature, darker BSG style stuff than the previous lightweight shows. But whilst the other shows were fun to watch, SGU is often just boring.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gordie1 wrote: »
    Because the CSI franchise creators knew that people liked CSI's formula of style,camera angles ect, so made basicaly the same thing with new cast and location.

They knew what the audience wanted and gave it to them.

It is a winning formula, as the stargate franchise was, the creators have tried to be different here with SGU, and IMO it hasnt worked.
    I dont watch CSI, but i can see the appeal of the shows, and you can bet that CSI will get a big screen outing before stargate gets another one, the blame for that lies squarely with those creating universe.

I have never understood how CSI has gone on so long, I mean how many times can you show the same episode over and over again.
    CSI is a winning formula in the same way reality TV is a winning formula it dont mean its any good.

If Universe fails so be it, it just goes to show people just wont accept change, and far better change at that.
  • Options
    Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I fully agree. I never really got into SG1 or Atlantis but I do like SGU, but I like my shows with more grit and less froth :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really like SGU and I've been a huge fan of SG1 and Atlantis.

The only criticisms I have of the show are:

1) The "Stones" which allow them to take control of a body on earth. I really wished they had left those behind as I keep asking why they don't use them to bring better experts like McKay and Jackson on board to help with repairs and accessing the ancient computer system. The show wants to move in a new direction but who wouldn't accept the fact that McKay and Jackson are two of the best experts on Ancient technology and they haven't made a single trip to the ship to see if they can help.

2) Gen O'Neill is looking just too roly poly for my liking, he needs to lose a couple of stone. I'd prefer to see another person (unknown preferably) in his chair back on Earth.
  • Options
    LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fifteen minutes in and I already don't care what's happening/don't entirely know what's happening. Am hacked off that suddenly everybody (hello annoying senator's daughter) is alive and well.

Why am I even bothering:(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    I thought it was pretty decent. Not amazing by any stretch, but decent. I think people expecting a sudden change in tone between the last episode of Season 1 and the premiere of Season 2 need to relax a little. If the tone of the show suddenly became more light hearted between the cliffhanger and the start of the new season it would have been very jarring. I'm sure it'll improve as the season progresses considering the amount of flack that the creators got for last seasons relatively slow pace.

I don't really get all the hate for Chloe, maybe i'm just being blinded by her looks:p
  • Options
    paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    CJClarke wrote: »
    I don't really get all the hate for Chloe, maybe i'm just being blinded by her looks:p

You and me have the same sight problem then :D

OK granted she went with the jock/soldier rather than the geek but at least she is talking to Eli
    Anyway Eli will get his revenge in that I have heard he gets a love interest this season
  • Options
    srhDSsrhDS Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fifteen minutes in and I already don't care what's happening/don't entirely know what's happening. Am hacked off that suddenly everybody (hello annoying senator's daughter) is alive and well.

Why am I even bothering:(

They have a pretty limited crew to start killing them off. Granted Telford wouldn't be a great loss but other than that they'd have to kill red shirts and there is not much point to that.

As for Chloe, they made quite a bit about her healing, and int eh previously on bit at the start they showed the aliens who took her so I think that has something to do with it.
    She could be a regenerating clone and the real Chloe is still on the alien ship. Maybe the replicators are involved? Maybe they injected her with nanites and she now heals? Maybe the aliens are nearby and they healed her. There is more to this than just a new season so she all better...
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    srhDS wrote: »
    They have a pretty limited crew to start killing them off. Granted Telford wouldn't be a great loss but other than that they'd have to kill red shirts and there is not much point to that.

Sgt Plotdevice aka Sgt Spencer was killed off last season. I suppose he counted as a red-shirt.
  • Options
    TPLTPL Posts: 2,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Decent but not spectacular and predictable for the most part.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Two warring factions on the same ship? Trying to get home?

Star Trek: Voyager is on Channel One at the moment....
  • Options
    fenlanderfenlander Posts: 2,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    srhDS wrote: »
    She could be a regenerating clone and the real Chloe is still on the alien ship. Maybe the replicators are involved? Maybe they injected her with nanites and she now heals? Maybe the aliens are nearby and they healed her. There is more to this than just a new season so she all better...

I think you credit the scriptwriters with far too much imagination.:yawn:
  • Options
    LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nobbynolan wrote: »
    Two warring factions on the same ship? Trying to get home?

Star Trek: Voyager is on Channel One at the moment....

Well, they've got to try every other sci-fi plot trying to keep viewers, because the original one wasn't packing them in the aisles:o :D