Anyone Else Stopped Eating Bread?

Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,937
Forum Member
✭✭
I stopped a few months ago and I feel fantastic for it. Have completely cut it out. Has anyone else done this?

Comments

• SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know how you've managed it - I love bread and eat lots of different kinds. Granary for toast in the morning, filled rolls and pitta for lunches, and loads of garlic bread ! Not all three every day of course, but I eat 1 or 2 of them at least 2-3 times a week. If I was overweight or gluten intolerant I suppose I'd need to change my diet, but thankfully neither apply to me yet.
  • Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have eaten just tiny amounts of bread since the tale end of last year, probably what would amount to one slice of bread.
    I adore bread, good quality speciality artisan bread.
    I have decided to cut bread out for a while as I am on a healthy regime.
    I will introduce it back to my diet in time, but will not be the heavy bread eater I once was.
  • maggie thecatmaggie thecat Posts: 2,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I cut myself some slack from November to January because of the holidays, but I'm mostly bread free for the rest of the year.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't buy it for the house, but if I go out to eat I don't shy from it. A happy medium for me.
  • diablodiablo Posts: 8,300
    Forum Member
    I heard that supposed 'gluten intolerance' is one of the new fads. Sales of gluten-free stuff have risen hugely in the last couple of years.

Bread is still good food for most of us though. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 94
    Forum Member
    I never used to eat bread at all, and I was very overweight.
    Now I eat one or two slices of homemade bread a day, and I have lost loads of weight. Of course I exercise now , so that it probably why. But I don't think it is so much what you eat but rather the amount.
  • 1Mickey1Mickey Posts: 10,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I try to avoid starch of all kinds. All it does is send me to sleep and make me hold water.
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    diablo wrote: »
    I heard that supposed 'gluten intolerance' is one of the new fads. Sales of gluten-free stuff have risen hugely in the last couple of years.

People "low carbing" will be avoiding it too.

I'm not sure what to make of the current "paleo" diet fad - in some ways it does make sense to me though. Clearly our bodies are evolved to eat what we had available for the millions of years we were on the African Savanna, not the cereals we've only been cultivating for the last 2-4,000 years.
  • Miss C. DeVilleMiss C. DeVille Posts: 6,042
    Forum Member
    I've given up bread totally now as I eat low carb nowadays.

I feel a lot better for it. The average shop bought white bread particularly made me feel bloated and get wind. Don't feel like that any more thankfully.

I don't miss shop bought bread at all but I used to make a lovely cheese, onion and sun-dried tomato one, which was lovely. Perhaps, sometime in the future I'll just make it occasionally as a treat.
  • cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Life without a warm crusty loaf is not worth living.
  • venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have cut down drastically. I'm doing Slimming World and would rather have cereal for breakfast than two slices of wholemeal toast. Also there are other things I'd rather use my 'syns' on than bread. I feel better for eating a low fat, low sugar diet and have lost 6lbs. There's a long way to go though!
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Been thinking of doing this but what do you eat for lunch instead?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    I've done this since the start of the new year. I used to eat a lot of bread. Bread with breakfast, bread for lunch and maybe even a bread based snack in between. I am definitely a carb addict. I have found the switch surprisingly easy though. Instead I have either porridge or eggs for breakfast. Lunch is either chicken or salmon with half an avacado and maybe a handful of nuts. If I feel like eating more I will cut up a sweet potato and bake wedges for 20 mins. I notice that I don't tend to snack or feel hungry if I eat a decent lunch, then by the time dinner arrives, I don't need as much. Again, I'd probably have either chicken or fish with vegetables roasted in the oven. No fuss, carb free and not having the bread has given me so much more energy now. I am not going back.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bread and bakery products are my biggest food weakness. I could easily eat a loaf of bread in a single day - and then find myself feeling bloated for the next 2 days. I have cut back massively, but still find myself reaching for the bread especially if I find myself in the supermarket hungry and in a bad mood.
  • postitpostit Posts: 23,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've switched to wholemeal wraps. I dunno if that's as bad as bread though. I never was much of a bread eater.
  • shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    I always hated bread anyway
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I usually have the thins or milk roll as my staple bread choices.
  • PolominiPolomini Posts: 533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I went on a low-carb regime last May, giving up bread, rice, potatoes, pasta - anything with carbs or sugar in. Mainly it was to help my diabetes (type 1, insulin dependant) and to maybe lose weight as well.

I thought I'd really struggle, since bread is something I absolutely love in any shape or form, but strangely enough, after the first couple of days I haven't missed it at all. Or any of the other carbs. I'll sometimes have up to 10g carbs in a day (2 Ryvita), but mostly I don't. I have plenty of choice - fish, meat, chicken, cheese & eggs form the basis of most meals now, with loads of veg or salad, which isn't as boring as it sounds! Oh, and double cream in coffee - that is lovely.

My blood sugars have come right down, I'm taking massively less insulin and I've lost over two stones since then. I also feel much much better within myself, so as far as I'm concerned, it's a way of life I've got no reason to change.

And I don't get any carb cravings now, either - and that's probably the biggest surprise of all. Wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't experienced it for myself.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,907
    Forum Member
    diablo wrote: »

Are you saying people are faking gluten intolerance to be cool?
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you saying people are faking gluten intolerance to be cool?

Only around 1 in a 100 have coeliac disease, but around 1 in 5 buy some gluten free products. Most people buy because they believe it's a healthier digestive alternative, for weight loss and for nutritional value. Not like you suggest to be 'cool'. It's just another fad, with no real conclusive research.
  • sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The last few months since doing my weight watchers I've found myself cutting back on bread rice and pasta in general because it has quite a lot of points in it and it does tend to bloat me up. I do actually feel much better for it, I haven't cut them out completely I just have less of them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    i cut out bread once when i was dieting and losing weight..with healthy diet and watching what i ate the weight fell off me--no bread,,, will have to stop buying it when im starting up again ..felt loads better too
  • Iggy's BoyIggy's Boy Posts: 3,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Polomini wrote: »
    I went on a low-carb regime last May, giving up bread, rice, potatoes, pasta - anything with carbs or sugar in. Mainly it was to help my diabetes (type 1, insulin dependant) and to maybe lose weight as well.

I thought I'd really struggle, since bread is something I absolutely love in any shape or form, but strangely enough, after the first couple of days I haven't missed it at all. Or any of the other carbs. I'll sometimes have up to 10g carbs in a day (2 Ryvita), but mostly I don't. I have plenty of choice - fish, meat, chicken, cheese & eggs form the basis of most meals now, with loads of veg or salad, which isn't as boring as it sounds! Oh, and double cream in coffee - that is lovely.

My blood sugars have come right down, I'm taking massively less insulin and I've lost over two stones since then. I also feel much much better within myself, so as far as I'm concerned, it's a way of life I've got no reason to change.

And I don't get any carb cravings now, either - and that's probably the biggest surprise of all. Wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't experienced it for myself.

Well done you! :)
  • user986user986 Posts: 138
    Forum Member
    I stopped a few months ago and I feel fantastic for it. Have completely cut it out. Has anyone else done this?

Hi Master Ozzy.
    I stopped eating bread on 10th January this year in order to lose weight. I won't say it was easy as it definitely was N.O.T. but it gets bearable as you go. Other than bread, I cut out pasta, rice and potatoes. Basically I am low-carbing and was astounded to notice that in little more than one month I lost eight kilos without "suffering" - I mean, without that horrid and constant feeling hungry all the time when one is on a strict slimming regime. I eat plenty of vegetables (zucchini are fantastic in lieu of spaghetti, if you're desperate for a Bolognese dinner), fruits (every sort but bananas) and nuts. A modest use of extra-virgin olive oil when cooking; full-fat or skimmed milk in my coffee/tea (whatever I fancy); eggs almost daily (scrambled with butter, hardboiled, as an omelette with prosciutto, you name it...); red meat once a week (I anyway do not like it much); chicken (breast and/or mince), fresh salmon, tuna (tinned or fresh) and turkey are what I use mostly. Other meats I eat but do not exaggerate with them are Italian prosciutto and salame. Cheese: I'll have some if I fancy it and always get the normal sort, not the low-fat rubbish. If I feel like having something sweet, I drink a cup of decaf coffee and accompany it with a square or two of 72% cocoa black chocolate. If that's not available, I will have 2 After Eight thins. I am not a wine or spirits drinker, nor a believer in fizzy drinks and shop-bought juices. I drink a lot of water and have also plenty of soups. Something important is that I always cook from scratch so I control how much salt there is in my food. Cutting down on carbs has the effect that my appetite is not out of control like it used to be. I mean, even when a bit moody or in need of comfort eating, I won't binge.

I'll go back to bread when I feel I can indulge in it again but right now for me it's off the menu. Low-carbing is doing wonders for my weight (and my sleep and my mood). Good luck to those who are cutting out bread, for whatever reason. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    ive not eaten any bread today, i done well lol